+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen Sponsoring Indian Citizen

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Hello,
I am a canadian citizen going to sponsor my Indian wife. I have couple of questions - please advise.

1. My wife was divorced and has a kid. We are planning to sponsor only my wife first and once she receives PR we will sponsor the kid. is it ok? will it be a problem or any questions or delay from immigration?

2. Our marraige certificate was done based on "HINDU MARRAIGE ACT (1967) - 3 page documents with government seal on the 3rd page (in English) - no photographs.
is this is how it is done for Canada Citizen marrying Indian citizen in India?

3. any other points to remember?

thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
I am a canadian citizen going to sponsor my Indian wife. I have couple of questions - please advise.

1. My wife was divorced and has a kid. We are planning to sponsor only my wife first and once she receives PR we will sponsor the kid. is it ok? will it be a problem or any questions or delay from immigration?

2. Our marraige certificate was done based on "HINDU MARRAIGE ACT (1967) - 3 page documents with government seal on the 3rd page (in English) - no photographs.
is this is how it is done for Canada Citizen marrying Indian citizen in India?

3. any other points to remember?

thanks
Divorce not an issue. She will need to include child in her application whether she plans to have the child come right away or not. You will need permission from the other parent. If you have that permission, it does not make things harder to include the child now.

In other words, you sponsor her with her dependent child. This is common and not an issue, you do not need to do this in two stages.

If no permission from other parent it is a bit more complicated.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Thanks Armoured - yes other parent may not be willing to sign "now". so we wanted to do in 2 steps. is it possible to start a paper work for my wife (bot for a child - BUT mentioning the child in the application for later sponsorship)?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks Armoured - yes other parent may not be willing to sign "now". so we wanted to do in 2 steps. is it possible to start a paper work for my wife (bot for a child - BUT mentioning the child in the application for later sponsorship)?
You must include the child either way. I believe the only permission required if not accompanying is for the medical test, and biometrics if needed (child 14 or older). But best that you can confirm this aspect.

(if you do not include the child, it bars future sponsorship)