+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen sponsoring English spouse (PhD student in Canada)

Dec 15, 2015
Hi all,

I am brand-spanking new here! My partner and I have been talking about what we want to do when he finishes his PhD, and we've been discussing visas. I would love some help on our situation.

- partner is English, PhD student here in Canada, study visa good until end of 2017
- I am a Canadian citizen, full-time permanent government employee
- we are in good financial position, live together, and have been together for three years

I have read that an outland application would be best for us - is that the case even if he has a study permit for Canada? When should we be applying? How much time should we give ourselves to prepare for visa applications? Will he have to give up his passport while his application is in processing?

Any links to resources would be phenomenal as well, I've been looking around the website but I love hearing from people who have experienced similar things as well.

Thanks so much in advance!

kiwi01

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/11/2015
Med's Done....
30/09/2015
As a student he can apply for a to stay after he finishes his PhD for as many years as he spent studying no?

Anyway you can apply for common law sponsorship as you have been living together for at least a year. Apply outland, and through the UK it will probably take 8-12 months. And no he should not have to give up his passport as he is visa exempt he should just be requested to send a copy when it gets to that stage

Dec 15, 2015
kiwi01 said:
As a student he can apply for a to stay after he finishes his PhD for as many years as he spent studying no?

Anyway you can apply for common law sponsorship as you have been living together for at least a year. Apply outland, and through the UK it will probably take 8-12 months. And no he should not have to give up his passport as he is visa exempt he should just be requested to send a copy when it gets to that stage
Thank you so much! That's correct, he can apply for a post-graduate work permit for up to three years (that's the max). And good to know on the common law sponsorship, we are not currently married but are planning to do it in the near future and would apply after getting married here in Canada.

Cheers!

kiwi01

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/11/2015
Med's Done....
30/09/2015
leannemichelle said:
Thank you so much! That's correct, he can apply for a post-graduate work permit for up to three years (that's the max). And good to know on the common law sponsorship, we are not currently married but are planning to do it in the near future and would apply after getting married here in Canada.

Cheers!
If you are planning to get married sooninsh and he has a valid visa until the end of 2017 it might be easier to just apply after you are married. But yeah either way I would allow a year to get PR through spousal sponsorship.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
I agree, he has a long visa that can turn into a work permit. No reason at all to apply inland. And I also agree, if you are getting married next year, marriage apps seem to go smoother as you don't have to prove to CIC that you've lived together for a year. So wait for marriage. I am pretty glad I did so, less overall paperwork ;)

mrpotatohead

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05MAY2015
AOR Received.
04JUN2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21APR2015
Interview........
IP 09OCT2015
Hi there,

I was in a very similar situation to your partner-- a graduate student in a common law relationship with a Canadian citizen.

I don't think we took any longer than most married folks. The process was just as smooth. No doc requests. We even got married 6 months after sending the application, and that was no issue.

Best advice would be to start early-- if you have lived together 365 calendar days, and plan for him to get PR status in Canada, there is no disadvantage. He could be a PR well before his study permit runs out, and there would be virtually no chance of needing to pay for a pgwp.