+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen Living Abroad_ Outland Spousal Sponsorship

SH_2323

Oct 1, 2021
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen living in my home country, Bangladesh. I got my Citizenship in Nov 2020 during the worst phase of COVID-19. I then came back to Bangladesh, got married in Jan 2021. I decided to stay back and move back to Canada once my husband gets his PR. I will be applying to sponsor my husband soon and I am stuck at the following step on checklist:
If you (the sponsor) living outside Canada, provide proof that you will live in Canada with your spouse once they become PR of Canada.

I was hoping if anyone in similar situation can please share their experience? What proof could I provide that will convince VO that I will move back to Canada? I should also mention that as my intention was to move back to Canada, I did not cancel my Canadian banking, investment account, phone number, utility bills (internet, home phone, mobile). But are these enough to convince VO? My siblings also live in Canada and are settled there.

Reactions: Kashan Afzal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen living in my home country, Bangladesh. I got my Citizenship in Nov 2020 during the worst phase of COVID-19. I then came back to Bangladesh, got married in Jan 2021. I decided to stay back and move back to Canada once my husband gets his PR. I will be applying to sponsor my husband soon and I am stuck at the following step on checklist:
If you (the sponsor) living outside Canada, provide proof that you will live in Canada with your spouse once they become PR of Canada.

I was hoping if anyone in similar situation can please share their experience? What proof could I provide that will convince VO that I will move back to Canada? I should also mention that as my intention was to move back to Canada, I did not cancel my Canadian banking, investment account, phone number, utility bills (internet, home phone, mobile). But are these enough to convince VO? My siblings also live in Canada and are settled there.
You must have much more proof. Job in Canada, home/rental in Canada, proof that you have given notice to your job in Bangladesh, proof you have sold or given notice when it comes to your housing in Bangladesh, etc. There are many posts where people have received procedural fairness letters asking for more proof that you are moving back to Canada. Given that you were already living in Bangladesh in 2020 and only returned to Canada to get your citizenship and returned back to Bangladesh expect that you will need a lot of proof that you will actually relocate once your spouse gets PR. It would be much easier for you to return before your spouse gets PR to find housing and secure a job so you can send in proof that you have returned to Canada.

SH_2323

Oct 1, 2021
You must have much more proof. Job in Canada, home/rental in Canada, proof that you have given notice to your job in Bangladesh, proof you have sold or given notice when it comes to your housing in Bangladesh, etc. There are many posts where people have received procedural fairness letters asking for more proof that you are moving back to Canada. Given that you were already living in Bangladesh in 2020 and only returned to Canada to get your citizenship and returned back to Bangladesh expect that you will need a lot of proof that you will actually relocate once your spouse gets PR. It would be much easier for you to return before your spouse gets PR to find housing and secure a job so you can send in proof that you have returned to Canada.
Thank you so much for your detailed response!! Are you able to share links to thread where people were asked to provide more proof in this regard? I can provide proof regarding leaving job and housing in Bangladesh. I was actually supposed to go back to Canada after my wedding in Jan 2021. However, with travel restrictions due to pandemic and so much uncertainties, I decided to stay back with my husband.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your detailed response!! Are you able to share links to thread where people were asked to provide more proof in this regard? I can provide proof regarding leaving job and housing in Bangladesh. I was actually supposed to go back to Canada after my wedding in Jan 2021. However, with travel restrictions due to pandemic and so much uncertainties, I decided to stay back with my husband.
Use the search function. There are plenty of posts. Too many people didn’t relocate so ORCC has increased the amount of proof required. You will need some sort of proof that you will be setting up a life in Canada not only proof that you will be leaving Bangladesh. You did travel back to get your citizenship so not sure how the restrictions chAnged between November 2020 and January 2021.

el_0211

Jul 28, 2019
Visa Office......
Singapore
Hi,

You could move back to Canada now then you wouldn't have to prove anything :p Haha.

I'm also a Canadian citizen living abroad. My partner is from BD. I'm not from BD though. Anyway, some of the proof I provided included a screenshot of job searches and I actually applied to them with proof, a letter from my mom that she will be giving us a place to live in Canada, me researching and contacting pet relocators on how to relocate my dog, me explaining why moving back to Canada will be the most ideal for us job-wise, me showing my active Canadian bank account, (i did not move my funds to there, however). This is all I remember on the top of my head, we applied back in May 2021. Waiting on DM now. I hope we won't get PFL. Lol. You can ask me for anything if u need help with ur app.

Honestly, I think if you could get someone to write you a letter (a Canadian), stating that they are aware that you will be moving back blah blah, it is a good proof to have. Maybe contact a few Canadian friends/relatives telling them that you are going back, and screenshot that with their reply.

SH_2323

Oct 1, 2021
You could move back to Canada now then you wouldn't have to prove anything :p Haha.

I'm also a Canadian citizen living abroad. My partner is from BD. I'm not from BD though. Anyway, some of the proof I provided included a screenshot of job searches and I actually applied to them with proof, a letter from my mom that she will be giving us a place to live in Canada, me researching and contacting pet relocators on how to relocate my dog, me explaining why moving back to Canada will be the most ideal for us job-wise, me showing my active Canadian bank account, (i did not move my funds to there, however). This is all I remember on the top of my head, we applied back in May 2021. Waiting on DM now. I hope we won't get PFL. Lol. You can ask me for anything if u need help with ur app.

Honestly, I think if you could get someone to write you a letter (a Canadian), stating that they are aware that you will be moving back blah blah, it is a good proof to have. Maybe contact a few Canadian friends/relatives telling them that you are going back, and screenshot that with their reply.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful! If you don't mind me asking - how long have you been living outside Canada? When you were applying for your partner, were you guys living together in the same country? I can definitely provide a letter from my dad or my sister (who is a Canadian PR) that either of them will be giving us a place to live in Canada. My address is Canada is still active (my sisters and I lived together). I have active Canadian bank account (no funds were moved to bd) and I pay bills every month via those accounts. All my siblings resides in Canada and my parents are applying for PR as well via sponsorship program, so I guess I could show that as a family we have always intended to live in Canada and I temporarily moved back to BD to stay with my husband?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I temporarily moved back to BD to stay with my husband?
I doubt you will have much trouble, just write up a short summary that you only recently moved to BD as you describe and kept most of your ties, bank accounts, etc., in Canada.

About the only thing I don't think you've addressed here is how you and your spouse will support yourselves. While they say "a plan", job searches, savings, work experience, qualifications etc are all relevant.