Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ambiance44 said:
OK, so I'll start an "Application for a citizenship certificate" for my daughter on http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp. And in parallel, I will start the prerequisites for my wife's application as described on http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp. Is that advisable?
yes, though before you submit your application you will want to double check your documents to make sure they weren't updated at some point while you were compiling.

and if your child IS a canadian citizen, she does not need to be included in the application, as she already has citizenship. so then, scratch the part in my other response about her being added to the application and triggering the application to be processed at Ottawa. At this point, there's no way to determine where your wife's application will go, so hope for the best.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Pitt1234 said:
But IRCC don't do that usually. At least, that' my experience. I have been here in US for about 9 years now, and currently I am working on my PhD in US with a valid US Visa until a future date, but my application is still being processed by NDVO. I think, if she holds an Indian passport in most likelihood her processing will be done by New Delhi Visa office. But then, you could get lucky!

One catch: Using India-specific vs. USA-specific checklist for her application. I assumed my application would be processed in US or Canada, but that was not true. I had to send them additional doc (travel record) that is expected by NDVO and there in the India-specific list. My suggestion would be to include that anyways and let them decide whether they need it or not. Hopefully, they would decide to process it in Ottawa :)
if there was a US citizen child listed in the application, i suspect their decision would be based on the child's citizenship and mother's residency, but that's not the case here. I missed the part where the child was eligible for Canadian citizenship, which makes a big difference. so i agree more than likely it will be processed in New Dehli, however as suggested above, we've seen the opposite happen too. you just never know with IRCC. it's up to them to decide.

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
Pitt1234 said:
But IRCC don't do that usually. At least, that' my experience. I have been here in US for about 9 years now, and currently I am working on my PhD in US with a valid US Visa until a future date, but my application is still being processed by NDVO. I think, if she holds an Indian passport in most likelihood her processing will be done by New Delhi Visa office. But then, you could get lucky!

One catch: Using India-specific vs. USA-specific checklist for her application. I assumed my application would be processed in US or Canada, but that was not true. I had to send them additional doc (travel record) that is expected by NDVO and there in the India-specific list. My suggestion would be to include that anyways and let them decide whether they need it or not. Hopefully, they would decide to process it in Ottawa :)
So do you recommend that I send documents in both the USA-specific and India-specific checklists?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, though before you submit your application you will want to double check your documents to make sure they weren't updated at some point while you were compiling.

and if your child IS a canadian citizen, she does not need to be included in the application, as she already has citizenship. so then, scratch the part in my other response about her being added to the application and triggering the application to be processed at Ottawa. At this point, there's no way to determine where your wife's application will go, so hope for the best.
The OP said he is a naturalized Canadian at time of child's birth. So child IS Canadian. That said, OP still need to list the child in the wife PR sponsorship under family form. While the child is not being sponsored for PR, the child still need to be listed in application.

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
screech339 said:
The OP said he is a naturalized Canadian at time of child's birth. So child IS Canadian. That said, OP still need to list the child in the wife PR sponsorship under family form. While the child is not being sponsored for PR, the child still need to be listed in application.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does OP mean?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Pitt1234 said:

Good information.

It's clearer with the new process, as you would put both "USA" and "India" on the dropdown form for the documents: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

USA for residence, India for additional documents.

Make sure you read through the detailed guide as well.

Reactions: Ambiance44

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
I have been getting all the supporting documents prepared so I can submit everything with the application. I am a confused about the country specific requirements. My wife has been living with me in the US for the past 10+ years, but she is a citizen of India, so are we supposed to get documents prepared for US and India both? Or just US? For example, the background check documents; India has a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) and US has an FBI background check. Do I need to get both done?

I have sent the Application for a Citizenship Certificate for my 5-year old daughter. I have heard that it takes up to 5 months to get the citizenship certificate, if all the papers are correct. Is this accurate?

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
Good day! I have received a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship for my daughter. I have also received the Indian Police Clearance Certificate for my wife. Now I am just waiting for the FBI background check to come back. Once I receive that, I will submit the sponsorship application for her.

gotanswers?

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
You can also submit the application and then provide the FBI clearance later.
Nowadays, they don't require it upfront. We submitted our file on March 15 and submitted the FBI clearance 2 weeks ago when CIC asked for it.
Also, I am here in US for last 14 years on F1 and H1 visas and my file is being processed at Ottawa.

Reactions: Ambiance44

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
You can also submit the application and then provide the FBI clearance later.
Nowadays, they don't require it upfront. We submitted our file on March 15 and submitted the FBI clearance 2 weeks ago when CIC asked for it.
Also, I am here in US for last 14 years on F1 and H1 visas and my file is being processed at Ottawa.
That is great to hear. Thank you. Do you have any estimate on how long it might take for the entire process once I submit the sponsorship file?

gotanswers?

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
That is great to hear. Thank you. Do you have any estimate on how long it might take for the entire process once I submit the sponsorship file?
Timeline is hard to project but I am seeing a bunch of people who applied in January starting to get requests for Passports. Safe to say anywhere from 6-10 Months.

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
I am about to pay the fees online for the application but I'm a little confused about how much I need to pay. Obviously, I need to pay for my wife ($1040), but since my daughter now has a certificate of Canadian citizenship, am I still supposed to pay $150 for her?