+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen - Getting Married in India - Help

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
Hi,

This question is for Canadian Citizens who got/getting married in India with an Indian Citizen.

What kind of documents do I need as a Canadian Citizen to get married in India? Do I need to take any kind of No Objection Certificate before leaving Canada? What is the procedure of applying Marriage Certificate in India?

If anyone has gone through this can you please help me out or point me to any useful website for information.

Thanks.

Jan 9, 2020
Hi,

This question is for Canadian Citizens who got/getting married in India with an Indian Citizen.

What kind of documents do I need as a Canadian Citizen to get married in India? Do I need to take any kind of No Objection Certificate before leaving Canada? What is the procedure of applying Marriage Certificate in India?

If anyone has gone through this can you please help me out or point me to any useful website for information.

Thanks.
Canadian Government does not issue NOC , but they do give a letter stating they do not issue it. Look for "Certificate of Non-impediment to marriage abroad". You need to send them in Ottawa a letter with documents for them to process, Since I was located in Alberta and I needed it faster I used an agent in Ottawa and got the letter in 10 days.

With regards to the other question, Once the ritual ceremony of the wedding is done you need the certificate from the priest or the temple about your marriage and book an appointment with the local registrar or magistrate to register the wedding. The registration certificate is what is needed for filing PR for your spouse.

I hope the above helps

Cheers

Reactions: Dude29 and StanDiv

StanDiv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Hi,

Thanks.
***SORRY FOR TYPING IN CAP LOCK BUT ITS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW*** Please make sure to bring your tax papers for 2018 since they asked me for it at the very last minute at register office even tho I had all papers mentioned by the other person below. Even the receipt I got from the priest wss not satisfactory. Even tho I knew they were scamming me for money, I still did not let them to do so and provided that tax paper since thats an optional doc! And be sure to appoint a local lawyer there since they are all well connected inside and IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE SO MUCH EASIER. IT TOOK ME A MONTH TO GET THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. MAKE SURE THE CERTIFICATE COMES WITH A REFLECTOR STICKER WITH WILL CONTAIN YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE NUMBER IN IT.

Reactions: Dude29

Vauguy

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
***SORRY FOR TYPING IN CAP LOCK BUT ITS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW*** Please make sure to bring your tax papers for 2018 since they asked me for it at the very last minute at register office even tho I had all papers mentioned by the other person below. Even the receipt I got from the priest wss not satisfactory. Even tho I knew they were scamming me for money, I still did not let them to do so and provided that tax paper since thats an optional doc! And be sure to appoint a local lawyer there since they are all well connected inside and IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE SO MUCH EASIER. IT TOOK ME A MONTH TO GET THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. MAKE SURE THE CERTIFICATE COMES WITH A REFLECTOR STICKER WITH WILL CONTAIN YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE NUMBER IN IT.
Am plannning for a court marriage first followed by a traditional one . Am a canadian citizen marrying an Indian citizen. Any tips will be a great help. Does any one know how much an agent/lawyer in Delhi charge for NRI court marriage. I heard it can be 100000INR.

Vauguy

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
Canadian Government does not issue NOC , but they do give a letter stating they do not issue it. Look for "Certificate of Non-impediment to marriage abroad". You need to send them in Ottawa a letter with documents for them to process, Since I was located in Alberta and I needed it faster I used an agent in Ottawa and got the letter in 10 days.

With regards to the other question, Once the ritual ceremony of the wedding is done you need the certificate from the priest or the temple about your marriage and book an appointment with the local registrar or magistrate to register the wedding. The registration certificate is what is needed for filing PR for your spouse.

I hope the above helps

Cheers
Hello, i applied to ottawa for a statement in lieu of non impediments to marriage but got an email saying as follows."

Good day,

Thank-you for your response. Kindly be advised that India does not require a statement in lieu of non-impediment to marriage abroad.

We will can not issue one unless you can provide an official email, scanned letter or web link from the Indian government or Indian High Commission in Ottawa that specifically outlines that you require one." Help in this regard is appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, i applied to ottawa for a statement in lieu of non impediments to marriage but got an email saying as follows."

Good day,

Thank-you for your response. Kindly be advised that India does not require a statement in lieu of non-impediment to marriage abroad.

We will can not issue one unless you can provide an official email, scanned letter or web link from the Indian government or Indian High Commission in Ottawa that specifically outlines that you require one." Help in this regard is appreciated.
Canadian High Commission in Delhi thinks differently:
Canadian citizens or permanent residents who wish to marry in India should contact the office of the Registrar of Marriages of their place of residence to obtain further information. ...

The Registrar of Marriages asks for a letter from the High Commission or Consulate stating that the Canadian citizen or Canadian Permanent Resident who wishes to have his/her marriage registered is free to marry. Canadian law does not require nor provide for the issuance of any certificate or other document as proof of the eligibility of a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident to marry. As we are not in a position to issue such a document, the Consular Section issues a certificate called the “Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to marriage” which is usually accepted by local authorities. Please book an appointment with the Consular Section to obtain this certificate. The fee is CAD 30.00.
https://www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/india-inde/new_delhi.aspx?lang=eng#instructions

(You'll have to select the Information for Canadians / Marriage Abroad section, can't link directly.)

Unfortunately I don't know whether this info will be enough to get one from Ottawa or whether you'll need to do through the High Commission.

Vauguy

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
Canadian High Commission in Delhi thinks differently:

https://www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/india-inde/new_delhi.aspx?lang=eng#instructions

(You'll have to select the Information for Canadians / Marriage Abroad section, can't link directly.)

Unfortunately I don't know whether this info will be enough to get one from Ottawa or whether you'll need to do through the High Commission.
Yeah thats strange, i had few email exchange with the officer today,sent him some links but he was not convinced but what you have provided here may look genuine. I have just replied him.hopeful to get a response on this.Thank you .

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah thats strange, i had few email exchange with the officer today,sent him some links but he was not convinced but what you have provided here may look genuine. I have just replied him.hopeful to get a response on this.Thank you .
My question would be whether marriage registrars in India would accept the doc from Canada without getting it authenticated or other additional steps - which might make it easier to simply get the doc from consulate or high commission when there. But no experience with India. (Have had to do this in another country and did not try to get from Canada - but the advantage was the Embassy/consular personnel knew exactly what to do and gave it in English/French/local language and the local authorities also knew exactly what it was.

Vauguy

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
My question would be whether marriage registrars in India would accept the doc from Canada without getting it authenticated or other additional steps - which might make it easier to simply get the doc from consulate or high commission when there. But no experience with India. (Have had to do this in another country and did not try to get from Canada - but the advantage was the Embassy/consular personnel knew exactly what to do and gave it in English/French/local language and the local authorities also knew exactly what it was.
Still the HCC newdelhi website information did not convience the officer. He was looking for an email from HCI ,Ottawa that non-impediments to marriage is required as per Indian law. The officers only argument was that they issue for other countries but in last few years the did noy ossue any for India. My only option is to go to the Canadian consulate in India.

• Sad

ssudarjothi

Star Member
May 5, 2015
Still the HCC newdelhi website information did not convience the officer. He was looking for an email from HCI ,Ottawa that non-impediments to marriage is required as per Indian law. The officers only argument was that they issue for other countries but in last few years the did noy ossue any for India. My only option is to go to the Canadian consulate in India.
Did you mention anywhere in your application tht you are getting married in India? If so, where did you mention? I have applied for the same, but i have not mentioned abut the place of my marriage.

Thanks
Sudar

Vauguy

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
Did you mention anywhere in your application tht you are getting married in India? If so, where did you mention? I have applied for the same, but i have not mentioned abut the place of my marriage.

Thanks
Sudar
You are right there is no place in the form to mention the country but the officer emailed me about the country. Anyway the refused to issue one. My advise will be not to waste money and time to apply for the noc to Ottawa. I applied to New Delhi and got it. Send an email to canadian consulate in New Delhi .They will send a form. Fill it and email back with copy of passport and payment authorization form of $30. I got the soft copy of noc on my email and the hard one to an Indian address of my choice.

ssudarjothi

Star Member
May 5, 2015

I hope the above helps

Cheers

Is it mandatory to have any Indian id proof? What kind of Indian Id proof did you use for registering your marriage in India? Did they ask for ration card or voter card or aadhar card from India?

EmmaR

Dec 8, 2017
Hi All,

I'm in the same boat. How did you get the single status affidavit? Did you notarize it first and then send it for authentication?
Did anyone get lucky to get the non-impediment letter from Canada itself, or canadian consulate in New Delhi is the only way?

Also, I read that as one of us is a Canadian citizen (with OCI), we can register it under Hindu Act and have to register under Special Act and give a 30 day notice, is it true?

Thank you!

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Im on the same boat. Does anyone have a single status affidavit format which people normally use?
You dont write the letter but the officials at HCI in India can provide that. They already have a template. But with the recent diplomatic issues and Canada pulling out diplomats out of India, best to do in Canada before you go.