+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen entering from U.S. by car being harassed?

astral101

Jul 27, 2023
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Buffalo. I usually visit Canada a couple of times a month by car and I feel like I am being harassed by CBSA. This is the usual interaction when I cross by car. I pull up to the CBSA booth and:
1. I usually get asked where I am residing, to which I reply Buffalo.
2. I SOMETIMES get asked what my status is in the U.S. I reply that I am a legal permanent resident. I then get asked to show my greencard which I possess. Now I have an issue with this, first: 1) Am I legally required to provide this when I AM A CANADIAN citizen? What if I don't have it on me at the time and left it home? (Or it's buried somewhere within my luggage and it will force me to get out of my vehicle and spend 20 minutes looking for it). Where is it coded in the Immigration Act or anywhere else, that they can ask what my status is in the U.S. and to SHOW PROOF? What if I was travelling from Spain, or England, or Argentina and resided in any of these countries. Would they care to know if I'm staying legally in those countries and to provide them proof? Hmm, probably not, right? The issue is that I've shown the green card plenty of times but I keep getting asked for it which tells me that they don't even enter this info in their system so that I don't get asked the same stupid question again.
3. I then sometimes get asked where I'm going to stay and for how long. What does it matter? I'm a Canadian citizen, I can stay for as long as I want and wherever I want. This question is so silly that a couple of times I've told the officers "not sure yet, I will see in the next few days" just to see if they will say something based on coded law or regulations but no, they just carry on with other stupid questions.

Needless to say, there's nothing suspicious about me. I drive a nice vehicle, I'm middle age and have a good job. In other words, they have never asked to search my vehicle or seemed concerned about my travels. But I just want to know if this is just poor training on their end, or if this is actually coded somewhere (CBSA training manual, agreement with the U.S.A., e

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Buffalo. I usually visit Canada a couple of times a month by car and I feel like I am being harassed by CBSA. This is the usual interaction when I cross by car. I pull up to the CBSA booth and:
1. I usually get asked where I am residing, to which I state Buffalo.
2. I SOMETIMES get asked what my status is in the U.S. I reply that I am a legal permanent resident. I then get asked to show my greencard which I possess. Now I have an issue with this, first: 1) Am I legally required to provide this when I AM A CANADIAN citizen? What if I don't have it on me at the time and left it home? (Or it's buried somewhere within my luggage and it will force me to get out of my vehicle and spend 20 minutes looking for it). Where is it coded in the Immigration Act or anywhere else, that they can ask what my status is in the U.S. and to SHOW PROOF? What if I was travelling from Spain, or England, or Argentina and resided in any of these countries. Would they care to know if I'm staying legally in those countries and to provide them proof? Hmm, probably not, right? The issue is that I've shown the green card plenty of times but I keep getting asked for it which tells me that they don't even enter this info on their system so that I don't get asked the same stupid question again.
3. I then sometimes get asked where I'm going to stay and for how long. What does it matter? I'm a Canadian citizen, I can stay for as long as I want and wherever I want. This question is so silly that a couple of times I've told the officers "not sure yet, I will see in the next few days" just to see if they will say something based on coded law or regulations but no, they just carry on with other stupid questions.

Needless to say, there's nothing suspicious about me. I drive a nice vehicle, I'm middle age and have a good job. In other words, they have never asked to search my vehicle or seemed concerned about my travels. But I just want to know if this is just poor training on their end, or if this is actually coded somewhere (CBSA training manual, agreement with the U.S.A., e
Sounds like a first world problem....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

1. I usually get asked where I am residing, to which I state Buffalo.
2. I SOMETIMES get asked what my status is in the U.S. I reply that I am a legal permanent resident. I then get asked to show my greencard which I possess. Now I have an issue with this, first: 1) Am I legally required to provide this when I AM A CANADIAN citizen? What if I don't have it on me at the time and left it home? (Or it's buried somewhere within my luggage and it will force me to get out of my vehicle and spend 20 minutes looking for it). Where is it coded in the Immigration Act or anywhere else, that they can ask what my status is in the U.S. and to SHOW PROOF? What if I was travelling from Spain, or England, or Argentina and resided in any of these countries. Would they care to know if I'm staying legally in those countries and to provide them proof? Hmm, probably not, right? The issue is that I've shown the green card plenty of times but I keep getting asked for it which tells me that they don't even enter this info on their system so that I don't get asked the same stupid question again.

Answer the questions they ask and show IDs if requested. The law is on their side. The questions they are asking are related to their role, although appreciate why they may seem silly to you. Failing to do that or arguing or trying to be clever is just going to put you at risk of being flagged in the system. You don't want to be flagged in the system. I have a couple of dumb friends who were clever at the border once and now seemed to be flagged permanently.

astral101

Jul 27, 2023
Answer the questions they ask and show IDs if requested. The law is on their side. The questions they are asking are related to their role, although appreciate why they may seem silly to you. Failing to do that or arguing or trying to be clever is just going to put you at risk of being flagged in the system. You don't want to be flagged in the system. I have a couple of dumb friends who were clever at the border once and now seemed to be flagged permanently.
Bend over too and dance around for them while clapping my hands? Your advice is the worst advice anyone can give. In fact, I asked one of them a couple of months ago "Am I required to show my green card?" he said "I don't think you are", like he didn't even know. I follow the law so I have nothing to worry about; it is them that we need to make sure follow the law too.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

2. I SOMETIMES get asked what my status is in the U.S. I reply that I am a legal permanent resident. I then get asked to show my greencard which I possess. Now I have an issue with this, first: 1) Am I legally required to provide this when I AM A CANADIAN citizen? What if I don't have it on me at the time and left it home? (Or it's buried somewhere within my luggage and it will force me to get out of my vehicle and spend 20 minutes looking for it). Where is it coded in the Immigration Act or anywhere else, that they can ask what my status is in the U.S. and to SHOW PROOF? What if I was travelling from Spain, or England, or Argentina and resided in any of these countries. Would they care to know if I'm staying legally in those countries and to provide them proof? Hmm, probably not, right? The issue is that I've shown the green card plenty of times but I keep getting asked for it which tells me that they don't even enter this info in their system so that I don't get asked the same stupid question again.

If you want to find out the "coded" in CBSA instruction, you will need to contact an insider (CBSA officier) that is willing to disclose this type of information.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bend over too and dance around for them while clapping my hands? Your advice is the worst advice anyone can give. In fact, I asked one of them a couple of months ago "Am I required to show my green card?" he said "I don't think you are", like he didn't even know. I follow the law so I have nothing to worry about; it is them that we need to make sure follow the law too.
They aren't asking you to dance or clap your hands. They are asking questions regarding your status, travel history, purpose of travel, etc.

Ultimately your call what you do.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's funny. I had a coworker who did that "trying to be smart thing" and tried to give all the answers before the border officer asked him the daily questions (we used to car pool and commute daily to work across the border). Fun, we got pulled and he was questioned inside before we were let go to work... Luckily it's was a one time thing and he learnt his lesson.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why do people always think they are being clever ? Or they think they they are a comedian ? Save that for your family. When I worked at EI, and if there was anything that piqued my interest in someone's account. If I had an inkling that there was fraud happening, all it took was a internal referral off to the fraud department. When I worked at the airport we actually had meetings with US customs where an officer would come in and tell us what to look for that may be a cause of concern for US Customs. Overstays etc. Just took one phone call and they would be pulled when they got to the examination officer. Everyone thinks they are a comedian, until they arent . Just answer the questions asked. It is really not difficult This isnt junior high.
Appears the OP just isnt getting enough attention in their day to day life

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thee are valid reasons for all these questions being a Canadian citizen doesn’t exempt you from answer the questions that all visitors to Canada are asked including where they will staying in Canada, who they plan on seeing while in Canada, how long they plan on visiting Canada, etc.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,

Chip on your shoulder, eh?

Reactions: Buletruck