+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen and Aussie GF hoping to immigrate

Jaadster

Feb 18, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone would be able to give me some advice and direction on what is the best process to go through to get my Aussie Girlfriend to live in Canada.

Some background information first
- In the end of 2006 a friend and I (Male 25yo) decided to go and travel around Australia. My girlfriend (23yo) and I met in Dec 2006 in Melbourne. We then all travelled together till January 2007 and I moved back into Melbourne at the end of January (Rented a place) and from that point on we lived together. My friend stayed at our place for a couple months and then headed back to Canada.
- In June of 2007 we both flew back to Canada to meet my folks and attend my sisters wedding.
- In Sept 2007 I had to fly back home alone to finish the harvest, then returned to Melbourne.

Now we are at the stage were I have to head back home to continue farming, and we were wondering what is the best way to get her over.

We can both go to Canada, Her originally on a Working holiday program. Once inside Canada apply for Common-law Visa. We have been living together for 14months in April (Proof - Mail forwarding receipts, Joint flight Tickets, Vehicle Transer papers, Travel receipts from first meet, Call logs (when we were apart), Rent receipts from November 2007, Afedaived from her parents, brothers, my friend, and her collegues talking about when we moved in and our relationship). She is almost finished her schooling as a Licensed Practical Nurse. We were hoping that once she gets PR then she can attend Uni in Canada and receive here R.N.. What I'm wondering about here is
- Do we have enough proof of our relationship that they're not going to refuse it?
- Once in Canada and settled we do plan to get married. Its just with everything changing and the uncertainty of it all we aren't ready at the moment to get married. Would it be better if we waited to apply for PR? Even though we want her to be in Uni as a PR in Fall?
- Should we apply outside of Canada. live apart from March till whenever she can come into Canada? (Will be very tough, but if we apply in Canada and are refused there is no appeal)
- Should she come over on a tourist visa instead of a Working holiday visa? We like the working holiday visa because it gives her the opportunity to work in the meantime.

Please help ease our mind. We want to live together in Canada but are worried about her getting refused or unable to continue her education once in Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Jaadster

I'm going to read between the lines a bit. You can feel free to correct me.

It seems that you're hesitant to get married right now, but your girlfriend wants the reduced college fees of a PR and that's why you're having this conversation.

I just want to say that sponsoring someone for permanent residence is a big step that you should not pursue lightly. Remember that if you sponsor her for PR, you will be responsible for her financially for 3 years - married or not.

I suggest your girlfriend come to Canada to work for a while in the working holiday program, and that you continue living together. When you're ready to get married, then you should sponsor her. In other words, when you're ready for marriage, you're ready for the commitment of sponsorship.

Just my suggestion.