2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
Hello All , need some advise!!!

We are planning to go to India with our new born baby for about 7 months.
We haven’t applied the OCI yet, and looks like the processing time is around 2 months and we have to submit the child passport which they will hold for a month?
So still thinking of what to do about the OCI. Has anyone recently applied and if so can you please explain the detailed steps, the information in BLS is too confusing.
If we are unable to apply OCI , what other options we have ? I heard about E visa, which allows to stay for up to one year and the tourist visa doesn’t allow to stay.

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
Firstly, I may be wrong since I'm from Pakistan... but here are my suggestions:

Assuming you both are Indian nationals with Canadian PR.

There are better ways to approach it, but you need time, which you don't seem to have. However, I'll put it here just in case you consider it. If you are in a hurry, get e-Visa which I have discussed below:

- You can only apply for OCI for your child if one parent is a foreign national.
- As your child is a Canadian citizen by birth, have you applied for his/her paperwork? (such as passport)
- For such cases, PIO card used to be available earlier, but it has been discontinued now. Your only option is to apply for visa now.
- If you need to make many trips between the Canada and India, there will be problems because the Canada will insist that the child gets a Canadian passport for such travel, and that would make the child lose Indian citizenship.
- If you are willing to accept that the child will lose Indian citizenship, then the best approach is the following:
1) First, get the child an Indian passport (the child will gain certain rights for having once been a documented Indian citizen).
2) Then, get the child a Canadian passport. At that moment, you must inform the Indian consulate and it will cancel your child's Indian passport.
3) Finally, get the child an OCI card. For that, you would fill out an OCI application and submit copies of the child's cancelled Indian passport, current Canadian passport, both of your Indian passports, and the child's birth certificate.

This will give the child the maximum rights any foreigner can have while staying in India.

E-VISA

India now has an e-visa option which could simplify any visas you're looking to get. They are available on arrival at most of the major airports. They are cheaper, faster and you don't pay until you get it. Great peace of mind if you need to get it last minute. They don't require you to send passports back and forth and you can pick it up at the airport. The e-visa option you can do with about 1 week prior to your visit and is only $60.

Indian e-Tourist Visa

Eligibility

• International Travelers whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation , sight seeing , casual visit to meet friends or relatives, short duration medical treatment or casual business visit.
  • Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India. The passport should have at least two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
  • International Travelers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.
  • International Travelers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.
  • Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.
  • Not available to individuals endorsed on Parent’s/Spouse’s Passport i.e. each individual should have a separate passport.
  • Not available to International Travel Document Holders.

Keep in mind that all Visa on Arrivals have 30 days validity. You can go through 'Types of Indian Visas and Fees' and look for 'Entry Visa'. It is valid for a year (you can pay more for a 5 yr visa). You'll get it in a week's time.

Reactions: Jakev

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akil_f1 said:

We haven’t applied the OCI yet, and looks like the processing time is around 2 months and we have to submit the child passport which they will hold for a month?
So still thinking of what to do about the OCI. Has anyone recently applied and if so can you please explain the detailed steps, the information in BLS is too confusing.
If we are unable to apply OCI , what other options we have ? I heard about E visa, which allows to stay for up to one year and the tourist visa doesn’t allow to stay.
eVisa is quickest (online); but with a validity of 30 days only.
OCI will take 2 months; but the Canadian passport is not required to be submitted. Copies will be accepted.
If you dont have the 2 months time, apply for an Indian tourist visa which will take 2 weeks. but it has a validity of only 6 months. So, your baby need to be back within 6 months.
other option is to apply for tourist visa and then once in India, apply for OCI from India. The chances are, you can possibly extend the stay with OCI. But not many places in India accepts application for OCI in person.
Another option is to apply for both tourist visa and OCI immediately from Canada. With the tourist visa, your baby can fly to India and once you get the OCI here in Canada, send it over to India and request for the extra 1 month.
Good luck!

ashishjain04

Mar 1, 2017
Hi,
I am in a similar situation right now. I have applied for OCI for my baby but it hasn't arrived yet. She is due travel to India in the next 5 days for 6 weeks. So there isn't enough time to apply for a regular visa. I am considering the e-tourist Visa but since that only allows for 30 days, I am wondering if she can continue staying after 30 days assuming I can get OCI by then and send it to them by post.
Appreciate if you could share what you did and how it went for you.

Thanks!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
akil_f1 said:

What's your province?

You don't need to submit your child's canadian passport as U VISA sticker is no longer pasted. They will take originals of COPR and Indian Passport (of eligible parent).
E-visa will only allow stay for 30 days.
If you are planning to go early, get a regular visa which will allow entry for 6 months. Or you can apply for multiple entry visa but entry would be restricted to 6 months per visit.

Mounikarishu

Nov 9, 2017

Hi I recently applied for oci to my child she is about 5months and she got her oci card .They will not hold your child passport they just send you oci card. Initially you have to fill online application of oci part a and part b submit some necessary documents that is your and your spouse passports and work permits and child birth certificate and her passport printout the part a and part b application forms attach notary of your and your spouse passport copies and child birth certificate and her passport copies at bls center. Once your visa approved they will send your oci card

Harpreet88kaur

Star Member
Jun 29, 2013
Sarnia, ON
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
Hi I recently applied for oci to my child she is about 5months and she got her oci card .They will not hold your child passport they just send you oci card. Initially you have to fill online application of oci part a and part b submit some necessary documents that is your and your spouse passports and work permits and child birth certificate and her passport printout the part a and part b application forms attach notary of your and your spouse passport copies and child birth certificate and her passport copies at bls center. Once your visa approved they will send your oci card
Hey ,

Thats what i did all .... n her application was received on 17 th jan 2018 n I don’t know how long it will take... how long was ur process??

Harpreet88kaur

Star Member
Jun 29, 2013
Sarnia, ON
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
Hi,
Oci card minimum processing time is about 45 days to 2 months..We got oci card after 2 months

Thnx alot for answering!! But i m applying urgent evisa for my baby can’t hold for 2 months... it says evisa comes in 5-16 hours

May 26, 2017
Thnx alot for answering!! But i m applying urgent evisa for my baby can’t hold for 2 months... it says evisa comes in 5-16 hours
I don’t have much idea about Evisa.. But the visiting visa will take 1 week of time. my cousin applied visiting visa to her son and she got the visa with in 10 days.

mtina

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 feb 2016
AOR Received.
17 FEB 2016
File Transfer...
03-05-2016
Med's Done....
MEDICAL PASSED
Passport Req..
01-09-2016
Hi
Can we apply OCI for our 1 year old child who is Canadian citizen by birth if both parents are Indian citizen & Canada PR holders.

Thanks

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
if its urgent, go for eVisa. Go to India and apply regular 6 month or 1 year visa. Applying OCI from India might be too risky as it might not come in 60 days making your stay illegal. And some emmigration officer may give you unnecessary trouble while leaving India.

ManmeetK

Feb 2, 2024
Hello
My daughter aged 12 years(minor) is canadian PR
She is planning to have a tour to India with our cousin only and without our company … The question is if we write a consent letter attested through a notary , can she travel without any issue? Will immigration officers be strict and will they try to stop her for travelling to and from India ??
kindly guide
Thank you
Regards

Jorela

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
MY stepdaughter is PR, minor too. She has travelled alone to our home country (in Europe). She never faced any issues in the Canadian border, coming to Canada or leaving Canada. You might want to check the Indian laws for minors travelling alone or accompanied by relatives. We write a consent but only for our home country border, they’re the only ones asking for it.
Hello
My daughter aged 12 years(minor) is canadian PR
She is planning to have a tour to India with our cousin only and without our company … The question is if we write a consent letter attested through a notary , can she travel without any issue? Will immigration officers be strict and will they try to stop her for travelling to and from India ??
kindly guide
Thank you
Regards