+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian and Foreign Work Experience **please help**

Shang Dela Cerna

Star Member
Jun 30, 2019
Hello! When applying for PR subject to the express entry completeness check, it says on the CIC website that:

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits
My question is, if I have both Canadian and foreign work experience, do I still have to provide reference letters for my foreign work experience? I had 4 different jobs in different NOC the last 10 years. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Reference:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You need to provide letters for any work experience that you put under "Work Experience" and thus claim points for. If you have enough points with just one or two jobs, you can put the others under "Personal History" and then you don't need to get letters for those jobs.

Reactions: Shang Dela Cerna

Shang Dela Cerna

Star Member
Jun 30, 2019
You need to provide letters for any work experience that you put under "Work Experience" and thus claim points for. If you have enough points with just one or two jobs, you can put the others under "Personal History" and then you don't need to get letters for those jobs.
Thank you for your response :). My first 2 jobs are actually the same but with different companies and I didn't have 1 year continuous work experience on both. This is from late 2015- early 2017. My 3rd and 4th jobs are from 2017-2018 but they are different jobs and I also didn't have 1 year continuous work. If I only put in the first 2 jobs under "Work Experience" (since it's only the same occupation), will the IRCC question about the "gap years" because I didn't put in my other 2 jobs? Thank you so much.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for your response :). My first 2 jobs are actually the same but with different companies and I didn't have 1 year continuous work experience on both. This is from late 2015- early 2017. My 3rd and 4th jobs are from 2017-2018 but they are different jobs and I also didn't have 1 year continuous work. If I only put in the first 2 jobs under "Work Experience" (since it's only the same occupation), will the IRCC question about the "gap years" because I didn't put in my other 2 jobs? Thank you so much.
If you don't have 1 continuous year of work experience in a single NOC, how are you qualifying for Express Entry? Are you qualifying under CEC?

If you're trying under the FSW class, the gap between the two jobs needs to be less than a couple weeks; anything longer will not be counted as "continuous".

If you are CEC, then you don't need to worry. IRCC won't ask you about the gaps. You just need to make sure they are listed in Personal History so they know what you were doing during that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shang Dela Cerna

Shang Dela Cerna

Star Member
Jun 30, 2019
If you don't have 1 continuous year of work experience in a single NOC, how are you qualifying for Express Entry? Are you qualifying under CEC?

If you're trying under the FSW class, the gap between the two jobs needs to be less than a couple weeks; anything longer will not be counted as "continuous".

If you are CEC, then you don't need to worry. IRCC won't ask you about the gaps. You just need to make sure they are listed in Personal History so they know what you were doing during that time.
Okay got it, thank you for your help :)

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
@21Goose

Hi ,
Please help me out with my doubt. Do we get no points at all for spouse's foreign work experience? Are the skill transferability section's points coming only from the main applicant?

If that is true, do I still need to show my husband's work experience and submit documents for the same? We do not have proper reference letter for one of his jobs. So basically no letter to match NOC for that job. Do we actually need to show his foreign work experience?

I received ITA on 4th September, 2019.
I really need to solve all this quick. Please help me out.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
@21Goose

Hi ,
Please help me out with my doubt. Do we get no points at all for spouse's foreign work experience? Are the skill transferability section's points coming only from the main applicant?

If that is true, do I still need to show my husband's work experience and submit documents for the same? We do not have proper reference letter for one of his jobs. So basically no letter to match NOC for that job. Do we actually need to show his foreign work experience?

I received ITA on 4th September, 2019.
I really need to solve all this quick. Please help me out.
You get zero points for a spouse's foreign work experience. You can verify that here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

You'll see that the Spousal Factors are
1. Education
2. Language
3. Canadian Work Ex

No, you do not need to submit any reference letters for his foreign work ex. or even show it under "Work Experience".

Simply put it all in his "Personal History" section and move on with your submission. If you put anything under his Work History, the system will ask for documents - this is utterly useless since you aren't getting any points for it.

Reactions: jes_ON and NMS@

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
@21Goose

Hi ,
Please help me out with my doubt. Do we get no points at all for spouse's foreign work experience?

No. For spouses, there are points for education, language skills, and Canadian work experience only.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Are the skill transferability section's points coming only from the main applicant?
Yes.

If that is true, do I still need to show my husband's work experience and submit documents for the same?
No.

We do not have proper reference letter for one of his jobs. So basically no letter to match NOC for that job.
Do we actually need to show his foreign work experience?

No, not in the profile, but on the eAPR background document, you have to list everything. No letters are required, tho,unless you are claiming the experience for points.

Reactions: NMS@

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
You get zero points for a spouse's foreign work experience. You can verify that here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

You'll see that the Spousal Factors are
1. Education
2. Language
3. Canadian Work Ex

No, you do not need to submit any reference letters for his foreign work ex. or even show it under "Work Experience".

Simply put it all in his "Personal History" section and move on with your submission. If you put anything under his Work History, the system will ask for documents - this is utterly useless since you aren't getting any points for it.
Thanks a ton.
I am really relieved to know this. :)

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
@jes_ON
Thankyou for your response.
Please tell me about this eAPR background document. I don't know about this. When do I fill this?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
@jes_ON
Thankyou for your response.
Please tell me about this eAPR background document. I don't know about this. When do I fill this?
If you have an ITA you should have access to all the application forms. On paper, the form was called Schedule A - Background/History (IMM 5669) - don´t know if it is still the same.

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
If you have an ITA you should have access to all the application forms. On paper, the form was called Schedule A - Background/History (IMM 5669) - don´t know if it is still the same.
Okay I need to check this then.
@21Goose Any inputs on this? When do I fill eAPR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Okay I need to check this then.
@21Goose Any inputs on this? When do I fill eAPR?
eAPR = Electronic Application for PR. That's what you're filling out right now (post-ITA) in your EE Profile. There are various sections (Work, Travel, Personal, etc).

@jes_ON and I are saying the same thing. Put all his work history in "Personal History". Don't put anything in his "Work History"

Reactions: NMS@

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
eAPR = Electronic Application for PR. That's what you're filling out right now (post-ITA) in your EE Profile. There are various sections (Work, Travel, Personal, etc).

@jes_ON and I are saying the same thing. Put all his work history in "Personal History". Don't put anything in his "Work History"
Lol. How can I forget that. Thanks for reminding me that.
Thankyou guys :)

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
@jes_ON
You won't know as you are helping a lot of people. But you were the first one who helped me on this forum. Thanks a lot for being with us in this much needed situation. You guys are doing great. You too @21Goose :) Cheers!!

Reactions: jes_ON and 21Goose