+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada visitor visa holder - do I also need a transit visa?

infraredgirl

Apr 10, 2015
I hold a valid multiple-entry B1 visa for Canada, which I have used in the past for business related travel. I am planning a tourist visit to the United States soon, and would like to transit via a Canadian airport on my way back. Would I need to obtain a separate transit visa for this purpose, or can I use my currently valid B1 visa to transit Canada?

infraredgirl

Apr 10, 2015
No, you can transit with your valid B1 visa
Thanks for your reply! Can you provide any sources for this answer? I tried searching online (including detailed search of the CIC webiste) but could not find anything.

I also emailed my local consulate and they replied that I do need a transit visa. The answer they provided was very generic ("yes you need a transit visa unless you are a visa-exempt national") so I wonder if they in fact read my question correctly. It just does not make much sense that I am allowed to visit Canada, but not to transit through it. :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I suggest you email another visa office, preferably one in Asia (which processes higher volumes of TRVs and Transit Visas as compared to a Europe visa office). Do post the source of the answers that the visa office provides to you if the IRCC website does not have this information.

A multiple-entry TRV and a Transit visa are in a way similar to a US B1/B2 or a C1 visa

infraredgirl

Apr 10, 2015
They (the consulate in Vienna) didn't provide any source, they just wrote that I do need a transit visa and provided links to apply. I'll try emailing another visa office, thanks for the suggestion!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
A visa office will not provide any links/source.

You do not need a Transit Visa. But, do let us know if the visa office says anything different