+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR medical, child with speech delay

ZohRaf

Jun 11, 2019
Clearly they are looking for developmental delays and mainly autism. If you child is possibly autistic you may want to research what is going on with treatment in Ontario and potentially spreading to other provinces. Parents were already spending money on therapy but children will be much more dependent on their parents' income now that there is a lifetime cap. It may be best to consider other options.
Hi @canuck78,
Apologies for not asking this question by creating a new thread.
I live in UAE (Originally from Pakistan), having a 5.5 years old Autistic kid who attends a preschool nursery for neurotypical kids and after that stays at home with his mother who try to apply some applied behavior analysis (ABA) stuffthat she learnt in a training more than a year back. She is presently trying to appear in exam for Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) in UAE. And immediately trying to pursue some post graduate certificate in Autism in some Canadian institute (that provides extensive practicum) or some other course that satisfies the BCABA requirements so as to effectively train our son and to find some good job here in UAE as the prospects for foreign qualified and trained BCaBA are very good here.
My question is what are the chances for her to take the kid with her to Canada? Can you please advise if she can be denied a study permit on the grounds of an autistic kid accompanying her?
I would greatly appreciate your help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78,
Apologies for not asking this question by creating a new thread.
I live in UAE (Originally from Pakistan), having a 5.5 years old Autistic kid who attends a preschool nursery for neurotypical kids and after that stays at home with his mother who try to apply some applied behavior analysis (ABA) stuffthat she learnt in a training more than a year back. She is presently trying to appear in exam for Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) in UAE. And immediately trying to pursue some post graduate certificate in Autism in some Canadian institute (that provides extensive practicum) or some other course that satisfies the BCABA requirements so as to effectively train our son and to find some good job here in UAE as the prospects for foreign qualified and trained BCaBA are very good here.
My question is what are the chances for her to take the kid with her to Canada? Can you please advise if she can be denied a study permit on the grounds of an autistic kid accompanying her?
I would greatly appreciate your help
Hard to say whether your child will be able to accompany your wife if she gets a study permit. Sounds like your child is attending a wonderful school. Depending on what province they live in your child may have very little services and be in a mainstream classroom. You'd also have to find childcare after school depending on your wife's schedule. You'd also have to research health insurance because many provinces have their own international student plan. You'd have to look into coverage for dependents. You may have to pay for therapy for your child. Would start with wether your wife gets a student permit but you have to d more research about the province you are looking to study in.

ZohRaf

Jun 11, 2019
Hard to say whether your child will be able to accompany your wife if she gets a study permit. Sounds like your child is attending a wonderful school. Depending on what province they live in your child may have very little services and be in a mainstream classroom. You'd also have to find childcare after school depending on your wife's schedule. You'd also have to research health insurance because many provinces have their own international student plan. You'd have to look into coverage for dependents. You may have to pay for therapy for your child. Would start with wether your wife gets a student permit but you have to d more research about the province you are looking to study in.
George Brown college (Ontario) is offering a good certificate program, other than that University of Manitoba and University of British Columbia are also offering MEd programs with specialization in Applied behavior analysis. Yes she'll have to manage her study schedule and kid both. And we are not planning to take any extra therapies. But the issue is, he can't stay without his mother. So it's like this either both of them go together or nobody goes to Canada. As I'll have to sponsor all the expenses, I was wondering if it is worth the time and money or the chances are already slim ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
George Brown college (Ontario) is offering a good certificate program, other than that University of Manitoba and University of British Columbia are also offering MEd programs with specialization in Applied behavior analysis. Yes she'll have to manage her study schedule and kid both. And we are not planning to take any extra therapies. But the issue is, he can't stay without his mother. So it's like this either both of them go together or nobody goes to Canada. As I'll have to sponsor all the expenses, I was wondering if it is worth the time and money or the chances are already slim ?
If your child is autistic doesn’t he need intensive therapy? Not sure whether you would qualify for funding for your child to purchase therapy but your child will be attending regular school with no therapy in Ontario. In the new system each autistic child gets a small amount of money to pay for therapy and the rest is left up to parents. Not sure how much or whether your child will get funding.

Would do a lot of google searches about autism funding in Canada. Your child is likely better off at his current school.

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/news-story/9201846-peterborough-parents-fear-waits-for-autism-therapy-will-continue/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/household-finances/article-how-much-does-it-cost-to-raise-a-child-with-autism/

ZohRaf

Jun 11, 2019
If your child is autistic doesn’t he need intensive therapy? Not sure whether you would qualify for funding for your child to purchase therapy but your child will be attending regular school with no therapy in Ontario. In the new system each autistic child gets a small amount of money to pay for therapy and the rest is left up to parents. Not sure how much or whether your child will get funding.

Would do a lot of google searches about autism funding in Canada. Your child is likely better off at his current school.

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/news-story/9201846-peterborough-parents-fear-waits-for-autism-therapy-will-continue/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/household-finances/article-how-much-does-it-cost-to-raise-a-child-with-autism/
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll do some further research into this and surely check the links you shared. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll do some further research into this and surely check the links you shared. Thanks
Many parents are under the false impression that their autistic child will get as much therapy as possible in Canada. It is true that therapy and special education is almost nonexistent in some countries but in Canada there are often wait times of over 2 years to get therapy and provinces have started capping the amount of funding a leaving parents to pay for a large amount. I assume you are planing on immigrating even though you deny it. I saw a profile of the school for autistic children in the UAE and it is likely much better than what you will get in Canada. You also should be aware that after 21 almost all services disappear for autistic people. Group home so that children can live independently if parents are getting older often have an over 25 year wait. Some charities offer a weekend off per year for respite care so the families can get a break. If you are planning on immigrating you have to do a lot more research.

JKVD

Sep 26, 2015
Clearly they are looking for developmental delays and mainly autism. If you child is possibly autistic you may want to research what is going on with treatment in Ontario and potentially spreading to other provinces. Parents were already spending money on therapy but children will be much more dependent on their parents' income now that there is a lifetime cap. It may be best to consider other options.
We are here in toronto and my son was diagnosed last year with autism. We will do the upfront medical soon. Should we inform the Dr during the medical about my son’s diagnosis or wait for them to ask for more reports from his doctor? Im not sure how it goes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are here in toronto and my son was diagnosed last year with autism. We will do the upfront medical soon. Should we inform the Dr during the medical about my son’s diagnosis or wait for them to ask for more reports from his doctor? Im not sure how it goes.
You must be open or you would be misrepresenting your case. If you’re planning on moving to Ontario you may want to do your research. Autism funding is currently a mess and kids are being put in a mainstream classroom. Basically most families will be paying for the majority of their child’s therapy.

lopi14

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
yes they will wait for the result.. you can also consult developmental psychologist instead of dev pedia. If you are within Manila or south area i can refer you to our dev psychologist who can do assessment and the required reports within 8weeks frametime.
Hi Analie,

We just had our medical at St Luke's BGC on July 3, 2019. The panel physician noted that my 3 y.o. son has speech delay and hyperactivity. I, my wife and 1 y.o. son all passed the medical exam on July 7, 2019. I am now expecting to get medical furtherance from the panel physician. Can you send me your dev psych contact details please?

Really hoping that my study permit will be approved in time for Sept 2019 intake, incling my wife's OWP and my two sons' TRV.

Nimrod

Star Member
Aug 21, 2018
Hi Analie,

We just had our medical at St Luke's BGC on July 3, 2019. The panel physician noted that my 3 y.o. son has speech delay and hyperactivity. I, my wife and 1 y.o. son all passed the medical exam on July 7, 2019. I am now expecting to get medical furtherance from the panel physician. Can you send me your dev psych contact details please?

Really hoping that my study permit will be approved in time for Sept 2019 intake, incling my wife's OWP and my two sons' TRV.
You're not alone. My son has speech delay and we've been waiting to pass medical since February. There's a rather long wait to pass medical for cases deviating from ordinary even in simple textbook cases that they've handled on multiple occasions.
I hope they prioritize your application so you could resume in September, but I'll advise you to be open to other options including deferring your application. You may send a reminder to your regional medical office too, informing them of your resumption deadline.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Analie,

The medical cutoff is different for students vs PR and also dependent on whether the province provides medical or whether it will be a university private insurance plan.

lopi14

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
Is He having Autism ?
Nope, just mild speech delay and hyperactivity. He can read common words with 1 to 2 syllables. He can count fron 1 to 30. He is proficient with English and Russian alphabet. He sings nursery rhymes alot. He knows colors, names of days and months. He plays blocks, cars and puzzles if not he plays and runs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nope, just mild speech delay and hyperactivity. He can read common words with 1 to 2 syllables. He can count fron 1 to 30. He is proficient with English and Russian alphabet. He sings nursery rhymes alot. He knows colors, names of days and months. He plays blocks, cars and puzzles if not he plays and runs.
Autism is a spectrum though so unless he/she has been tested hard to say no.

lopi14

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
You're not alone. My son has speech delay and we've been waiting to pass medical since February. There's a rather long wait to pass medical for cases deviating from ordinary even in simple textbook cases that they've handled on multiple occasions.
I hope they prioritize your application so you could resume in September, but I'll advise you to be open to other options including deferring your application. You may send a reminder to your regional medical office too, informing them of your resumption deadline.
Thanks for your insights. Will take note of your suggestions.

The medical cutoff is different for students vs PR and also dependent on whether the province provides medical or whether it will be a university private insurance plan.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate.

Last edited: