+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR giving birth in Canada

arefin1882

Sep 7, 2017
We are family of four and already have Canada PR (landed March 2018). We have not permanently moved to Canada yet as we were originally planning to move to Canada in 2021. However, we are now expecting a new baby by July 2020. I understand getting PR for a newborn baby (borne outside of Canada) is complicated and time consuming hence we think perhaps the best course of action will be to travel to Canada around seven month of pregnancy and get the baby delivered there. We have international insurance coverage and don’t need Canadian Healthcare Insurance. My main concern is following: I have heard that it is very difficult to get an appointment with OB/Gynecologist so late in the pregnancy (around seven month). Is it really true? If yes, I was wondering what I can do to make sure that my wife gets proper medical attention for the delivery and during the time leading to delivery. Also, for the short term accommodation like four months, what would be the best reasonable option? Will be grateful If anyone having similar experience or familiar with the above situation can shed some light.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Are you sure your insurance will cover pregnancy and delivery in Canada? It could be very expensive very quickly, and it's guaranteed she will need to access hospital.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
We are family of four and already have Canada PR (landed March 2018). We have not permanently moved to Canada yet as we were originally planning to move to Canada in 2021. However, we are now expecting a new baby by July 2020. I understand getting PR for a newborn baby (borne outside of Canada) is complicated and time consuming hence we think perhaps the best course of action will be to travel to Canada around seven month of pregnancy and get the baby delivered there. We have international insurance coverage and don’t need Canadian Healthcare Insurance. My main concern is following: I have heard that it is very difficult to get an appointment with OB/Gynecologist so late in the pregnancy (around seven month). Is it really true? If yes, I was wondering what I can do to make sure that my wife gets proper medical attention for the delivery and during the time leading to delivery. Also, for the short term accommodation like four months, what would be the best reasonable option? Will be grateful If anyone having similar experience or familiar with the above situation can shed some light.
I’d be checking the fine print of that medical insurance, and some hospitals want the cash upfront if one is not covered by a provincial plan for pregnancy

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
Some airline might not allow you to board the plane if they find out the wife is pregnant.
It is harder to hide the pregnancy at 7 months

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Depending on your province, some provinces actually allow health benefits to begin after shorter residency times. If you were to arrive 3-4 months before delivery, you may be able to have the hospital costs covered.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a residency requirement for healthcare so your child can not receive healthcare and then leave a month later. You can be billed for any of the expenses if you return home after 1 month and only return the next year. If your child goes to the NICU. One day or 2 is not uncommon that is around 10k a day.

arefin1882

Sep 7, 2017
There is a residency requirement for healthcare so your child can not receive healthcare and then leave a month later. You can be billed for any of the expenses if you return home after 1 month and only return the next year. If your child goes to the NICU. One day or 2 is not uncommon that is around 10k a day.

Are you saying, the child who will be a Canadian citizen, will need to meet residency requirement to receive healthcare benefits? Doesn’t that mean NICU costs are not covered for Canadian citizens.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Are you saying, the child who will be a Canadian citizen, will need to meet residency requirement to receive healthcare benefits? Doesn’t that mean NICU costs are not covered for Canadian citizens.
If the residency requirement is not met, yes.

arefin1882

Sep 7, 2017
Some airline might not allow you to board the plane if they find out the wife is pregnant.
Thanks for your concern. We don’t intend to hide pregnancy. We intend to travel within the period that airlines allow pregnant women to fly.

arefin1882

Sep 7, 2017
I’d be checking the fine print of that medical insurance, and some hospitals want the cash upfront if one is not covered by a provincial plan for pregnancy
If the residency requirement is not met, yes.

Sorry I am not clear... the residency requirement that you referred... is it for the newborn or the mother? My question is following ...let’s say when child goes to NICU... will the baby need to be in Canada for a sufficient period to get healthcare (presume 3 month for Ontario) or otherwise will need to pay NICU charges?

or is it because... since the mother doesn’t have Ontario healthcare insurance, the baby’s NICU costs won’t be covered ... no matter how long the baby stays in Canada after birth?

arefin1882

Sep 7, 2017
yes we intend to pay in cash ... and later reclaim to our insurance provider in the home country.

my primary concern is not costs here.... rather accessing medical facilities during the days the mother will be in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry I am not clear... the residency requirement that you referred... is it for the newborn or the mother? My question is following ...let’s say when child goes to NICU... will the baby need to be in Canada for a sufficient period to get healthcare (presume 3 month for Ontario) or otherwise will need to pay NICU charges?

or is it because... since the mother doesn’t have Ontario healthcare insurance, the baby’s NICU costs won’t be covered ... no matter how long the baby stays in Canada after birth?
Child eligibility generally depends on the parent's eligibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

There are residency requirement to receive health coverage in each province even for citizens. That prevents people from flying in for medical care and leaving without likely being tax residents of Canada. 6 months is typical stay required but you must look based on your various circumstances. Your child will be born eligible for OHIP but if you leave shortly after you can be asked to repay any medical costs the child received whether healthy or in the NICU. NICU would be a significantly bigger bill.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least oneof the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do