+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Landing Experience at Peace Bridge/Return to US on AVR (H1B)

Michael26

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hello Michael,

I wanted your inputs on a couple of points. I've a valid I797 with an expired Visa Stamp on my passport. The I94 attached to my I797 is valid as well and has the same dates.

So I'm planning to fly from Jersey City, NJ to Buffalo, NY.
After I reach Buffalo , I'd like to take a cab/taxi to Peace Bridge, probably get off the taxi and then cross the bridge in order to get my landing formalities completed in Canada. After completing my landing formalities in Canada, I again plan to cross the Peace Bridge back into the US and then take a cab back to Buffalo Airport/hotel depending on where I'm staying/

I am not a very big fan of driving and do not want to drive this long distance. Please let me know if this would work out?

Are there cabs readily available. Any of your inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Joshua
You can certainly fly to Buffalo, NY and cross Peace bridge. However taking a taxi is not a really clever option. Even though you are lawfully allowed to my knowledge, I personally wouldn't do it. My recommendation would be to rent a car at Buffalo airport and drive to peace bridge and back. Perhaps renting will also be cheaper than hiring a taxi back and forth and is also more comfortable. And I am not sure how the immigration officer at the port behave knowing you are just there to get it done and get out. You will have to provide an address for your PR card.It is always advisable to get into Canada at least for a day and get your SIN at least. You have gotten a PR. It is just nice to honor it. I am not trying to judge you and your option is perfectly fine and understandable, but I would recommend against it. And it is summer soon. It will be beautiful up there at this time. Think about it

Even though Canada lets you to get in and get out on the same day, the immigration officer at the toll booth as well may not be amused. I am not sure how many taxi drivers will be willing to cross the border with you. Remember he will also be required to do the immigration part unless there is a different clause for taxi drivers. I am not sure. For your not so much fan of driving long distance situation, a rental car from Buffalo is the best option. It is not too much to drive and is much easier, peaceful and enjoyable as well.

Also note the taxi driver will be the first one to talk to the officer at the booth. He will identify himself as a taxi driver. And then you do. This is unnecessary unless you won't drive at all. Rental car and all simple and easy. You can also drive to Niagara on Canadian side for the sake of it. It is fun in my opinion. May be even stay there for a night and then get back to Buffalo to board your flight back to Jersey.

Reactions: Joshua2018

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for the response. Can you let me know how long it takes to travel from Buffalo Airport to the Peace Bridge by car?

Michael26

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for the response. Can you let me know how long it takes to travel from Buffalo Airport to the Peace Bridge by car?
You're welcome.Twenty one minutes. I haven't made the trip between Buffalo Airport and Peace Bridge, but Google says it is 21 minutes.

sashalina1002

Mar 3, 2019
Joshua,

Yes. My H1B stamp on my passport had expired. I had a valid I797A and I94 thru Mid 2021 after my last H1B extension. I was able to use my expired stamp on passport and the new 797 and i94 to re-enter the US
Hi Michael @Michael26 ,

Will there be a problem if the paper i94 has 10 days more than what in the i797 validity dates? Basically i94 date and i797 validates are different and i 94 is 10 days more.
Pls advice! Thanks

Reactions: Joshua2018

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hi Michael @Michael26 ,

Will there be a problem if the paper i94 has 10 days more than what in the i797 validity dates? Basically i94 date and i797 validates are different and i 94 is 10 days more.
Pls advice! Thanks
No, I94 dates are also assigned in such a way that they are valid for 10 more days after i797 expires. This is the expected format,and will in no way hamper your chances of successful AVR.

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
@Michael26

Appreciate your efforts in sharing the valuable information you put together in this thread.

This was one of the threads I used as a reference point for my soft landing. I traveled to Canada via the Peace Bridge in order to complete my Soft Landing formalities ,last week . Everything was smooth and I entered the US via AVR.

Once again thank you.

Reactions: Michael26