+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada inland sponsership : cohabitation

rc19

May 25, 2023
I and my wife have been in relationship from 2022 February but we have been friends and cohabiting at the same address since she came here to canada in 2019. ....

We want to let the IRCC know in the form that we are living at the same address but we were not in a conjugal relationship. And started conjugal relationship after 2 years our affairs were not together at al. but we got married with each other this year and we knew each other from past.. can there be any issues for it?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I and my wife have been in relationship from 2022 February but we have been friends and cohabiting at the same address since she came here to canada in 2019. ....

We want to let the IRCC know in the form that we are living at the same address but we were not in a conjugal relationship. And started conjugal relationship after 2 years our affairs were not together at al. but we got married with each other this year and we knew each other from past.. can there be any issues for it?
Don't overthink this.

The fact that you are now married makes things a lot easier, in terms of having to prove your relationship and marriage are genuine.

You will need to figure out at what point when you were cohabiting (BEFORE you got married) did your `romantic' relationship begin. Then after 365 days from that `mystery' date you were then a common-law couple. In the application you need to show on what date the common-law relationship began (on the 366th day of your romantic relationship). It's important because in the application you will need to disclose that you were common-law before getting married.

rc19

May 25, 2023
Don't overthink this.

The fact that you are now married makes things a lot easier, in terms of having to prove your relationship and marriage are genuine.

You will need to figure out at what point when you were cohabiting (BEFORE you got married) did your `romantic' relationship begin. Then after 365 days from that `mystery' date you were then a common-law couple. In the application you need to show on what date the common-law relationship began (on the 366th day of your romantic relationship). It's important because in the application you will need to disclose that you were common-law before getting married.
I have been overthrowing ths as we were living under same roof but different rooms since 2019 but 2 different addresses ... they ask in the form that < how long have you been living together? Give dates when conjugal relationship starts ?

How should we portray that co jugal relationship started. In 2022 instead from 2019?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Actually disagree that this potentially won’t be an issue. We have seen other cases where roommates have become romantically involved and IRCC has told them they became common law spouses a long time ago. Could you list your Canadian status history for the both of you? Did you know each other before coming to Canada and had you ever shared an address before? How many other people are you living with and how many bedrooms are in you home? Did you move once you became romantically involved?

Would suggest you stop using the terms conjugal relationship. IRCC uses the term conjugal relationship to refer to relationships where there is an immigration barrier that prevents them from sponsoring their partner to come to Canada. For example for same sex partners many can not get married in their home country and one partner can not get a TRV to come to Canada so they can’t apply for family sponsorship. They can apply for conjugal sponsorship based on IRCC policies. I would suggest using the term romantic partner instead.