+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Goose Jacket

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
I'm thinking on buying a Canada Goose jacket this winter. It's quite expensive, so does anyone think it's worth the money? E.g. Do you still have to wear a sweater underneath? Are there other jackets out there that are of equivalent warmth but cheaper?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about North Face or leather jackets?

What do you have for footwear? I have Kodiak socks and boots.

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
North Face ay? Hm.. from what I've seen those jackets are quite thin. You would probably have to layer up with a thick sweater inside. And you'll still feel a bit a chilliness.

I might have to buy some winter boots too. I don't know which ones though. My feet hurts mercilessly just wearing normal leather dress boots while walking in snow.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
simonvee said:
I'm thinking on buying a Canada Goose jacket this winter. It's quite expensive, so does anyone think it's worth the money? E.g. Do you still have to wear a sweater underneath? Are there other jackets out there that are of equivalent warmth but cheaper?
Canada Goose, IMO. You will wear it for years so you can amortize the cost for 10 years or longer. No sweater needed. The fur trim on the hood is also good if you will be walking/public transit a lot in the wind and cold. You will also want some boots that protect your feet from the cold ground. I am partial to ear warmers that wrap around from the back of your head too!

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll buy it this weekend. The thing I dont like about it is it's dry clean only, from what I've heard. Correct me if I am wrong. I mean, what if you spill coffee or red wine on it. I dont know if the stain will come off.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
WHat part of the country are you living in?

Steaky lives in Vancouver, so I laughed when he mentioned thick boots and socks. I was in Vancouver/Nanaimo in January, and wore a thin jacket, normal shoes, and nothing else. Quite enough.

But in Ottawa you need much warmer clothing. Less so in Toronto.

If by Canada Goose you mean goose down, that should be all you'll need -- especially if the stitching doesn't go right through the jacket (letting cold air enter through the stitching, where there is little goose down). If instead there are baffles, so that the down is distributed evenly, you should be warm and toasty.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
WHat part of the country are you living in?

Steaky lives in Vancouver, so I laughed when he mentioned thick boots and socks. I was in Vancouver/Nanaimo in January, and wore a thin jacket, normal shoes, and nothing else. Quite enough.

But in Ottawa you need much warmer clothing. Less so in Toronto.

If by Canada Goose you mean goose down, that should be all you'll need -- especially if the stitching doesn't go right through the jacket (letting cold air enter through the stitching, where there is little goose down). If instead there are baffles, so that the down is distributed evenly, you should be warm and toasty.
Hi Toby,

I used to live in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and some parts of northern Ontario before living in China and now in Vancouver. I know what is like -40 degrees celsius. I am thinking of winter driving from Vancouver to Calgary ;D I was in downtown Vancouver this afternoon and people in the streets were wearing North Face jackets, leather, thick jackets, some boots and other warm clothing. Only a minority (including me) wore thin jacket and normal shoes.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Hi Toby,

I used to live in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and some parts of northern Ontario before living in China and now in Vancouver. I know what is like -40 degrees celsius. I am thinking of winter driving from Vancouver to Calgary ;D I was in downtown Vancouver this afternoon and people in the streets were wearing North Face jackets, leather, thick jackets, some boots and other warm clothing. Only a minority (including me) wore thin jacket and normal shoes.
Vancouverites are all babies, Steaky!! Including my sister and brother in law.

zap0ne

Jan 14, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
24-07-1998
Have one, had it four years and still great. Highly recommended. I need to take the dog out three times a day and life before jacket was terrible
8)

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
I just bought the Chilliwack bomber. Soooo warm but so harsh on my wallet. $615 including tax. For the past few days it hasnt been minus, I wanna see what its like in minus 20.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Had an interesting experience shopping for a new coat two weeks ago and thought I'd share.

I ended up with a North Face but was considering buying a Marmot or Canada Goose as well. The store clerks ended up convincing me not to buy the Canada Goose because it's not suitable for most of Canada (although they very highly recommend the coat for anyone going to the Arctic). Here's why Canada Goose is bad for most of Canada: Yes - they are very warm (originally). However their outer layers are not waterproof. This means that if the coat gets wet (due to rain, wet snow, etc.) that moisture penetrates right through the outer layer and into the down. The down then gets wet and clumps. Once the down has clumped, the coat becomes less warm. This is not a problem for coats such as North Face and Marmot that have waterproof outer layers. The store clerks I was dealing with said they have been stocking Canada Goose coats for 24 years and think they're fantastic for places with no rain and zero humidity. However these coats are horrible for Toronto, Vancouver and most other Canadian cities and will lose warmth as they're worn.

Anyway, just thought I'd share...

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
scylla said:
Had an interesting experience shopping for a new coat two weeks ago and thought I'd share.

I ended up with a North Face but was considering buying a Marmot or Canada Goose as well. The store clerks ended up convincing me not to buy the Canada Goose because it's not suitable for most of Canada (although they very highly recommend the coat for anyone going to the Arctic). Here's why Canada Goose is bad for most of Canada: Yes - they are very warm (originally). However their outer layers are not waterproof. This means that if the coat gets wet (due to rain, wet snow, etc.) that moisture penetrates right through the outer layer and into the down. The down then gets wet and clumps. Once the down has clumped, the coat becomes less warm. This is not a problem for coats such as North Face and Marmot that have waterproof outer layers. The store clerks I was dealing with said they have been stocking Canada Goose coats for 24 years and think they're fantastic for places with no rain and zero humidity. However these coats are horrible for Toronto, Vancouver and most other Canadian cities and will lose warmth as they're worn.

Anyway, just thought I'd share...
Geez ... buying an expensive jacket only to have it get wet and cold --- what a downer. ;D

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simonvee said:
Layers, always layers..... :)

http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN

What did you eventually buy?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Baloo said:
Layers, always layers..... :)

http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN

What did you eventually buy?
I LOVE Arcteryx. I want one of their high end rain jackets but am having trouble justifying the need (already have two other rain coats that are decent).

I layer on weekends under my Spyder jacket - but it's the weekdays that are a challenge for me (I wear a suit to work and latering on top or under a suit jacket just doesn't work). The long North Face is working like a charm. So warm. Love it!