+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada express entry for asylum applicant in the U.S.A.

wangasl

Jun 19, 2019
You must have a valid passport in order to apply for Canadian PR from the US, you also have to be lawfully present in the US (pending asylum is acceptable for that). You have to obtain a passport from your country consulate in the US.
Thank you. However I'm not sure if I'll be able to renew my passport especially I'm in asylum pending case and the passport is expired for one or two years already.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Thank you. However I'm not sure if I'll be able to renew my passport especially I'm in asylum pending case and the passport is expired for one or two years already.
Well, there is no other way . An alternative option is to return to your country of origin and apply from there with a new passport. But you should try to renew your passport first at your consulate, depending on its regulations, they might ask you to provide your visa/legal status in the US, I assume you have your EAD card, it can be used for that purpose.

wangasl

Jun 19, 2019
Well, there is no other way . An alternative option is to return to your country of origin and apply from there with a new passport. But you should try to renew your passport first at your consulate, depending on its regulations, they might ask you to provide your visa/legal status in the US, I assume you have your EAD card, it can be used for that purpose.
Thank you, yes I do have the EAD card and it is valid, I'll keep looking into this and thanks a lot!

rahulp1992-

Jun 18, 2019
hello folks
I just wanna know what kind of IELTS exam. I should prepare for exprees entry , academic or general or CELCIP?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

SJPLAMA

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
Status update : I’ve successfully landed in Canada 2 days ago ! Today I also returned to US using advance parole , so I’ll wrap up things here prior moving permanently to Canada .
Did you cancel your asylum application?

Or you got the advance parole to return to USA in order to cancel your asylum in front of Judge?
Can you help with providing more details how to apply for advance parole, is it just fill the I-131 form?

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Did you cancel your asylum application?

Or you got the advance parole to return to USA in order to cancel your asylum in front of Judge?
Can you help with providing more details how to apply for advance parole, is it just fill the I-131 form?
I didn’t cancel my asylum application , it’s still pending with the USCIS , because the interview was not scheduled yet. As an asylum applicant you can travel outside of US and come back with no issues as long as you have you advance parole . The problem usually is to get your advance parole approved, they tend to deny it for us. If your case was transferred to the court already , advance parole isn’t an option for you . You have to wait until your master hearing and request a judge to close your asylum case and most important thing - request volunteer departure granted to you . That’s very important to have

P.S and yes, in order to get advance parole you just have to fill up the I-131 form

Garry1992

Star Member
May 10, 2018
I didn’t cancel my asylum application , it’s still pending with the USCIS , because the interview was not scheduled yet. As an asylum applicant you can travel outside of US and come back with no issues as long as you have you advance parole . The problem usually is to get your advance parole approved, they tend to deny it for us. If your case was transferred to the court already , advance parole isn’t an option for you . You have to wait until your master hearing and request a judge to close your asylum case and most important thing - request volunteer departure granted to you . That’s very important to have

P.S and yes, in order to get advance parole you just have to fill up the I-131 form
Do you mind sharing the reason you mentioned in the form to get the advance parole? I checked online and they usually do not approve it for people.

SJPLAMA

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017

Yes my case is in court, and im in a weird situation now regarding USA.
I read that I can ask for expedite hearing, but I don't have the time. I have to land in Canada pretty soon.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Do you mind sharing the reason you mentioned in the form to get the advance parole? I checked online and they usually do not approve it for people.
I’m not exactly sure what was in my application form since I’ve used a lawyer to help me with it , but I think the reason was to just travel and see my family and I provided a cover letter describing how much I need it , plus i think that it was mentioned in a form as well that I need to travel to Canada to complete my landing process . I also think that all that might not even matter and depends on the officer who’s reviewing your application . There is no direct instruction that would clearly state that advance parole must be denied for an asylum applicant, actually it’s the other way around , the I-589 form says : you must obtain advance parole in order to travel. These days everyone is freaking out to apply for advance parole and to use it even if you have it. I took a risk , but you should decide for yourself I think, and keep in mind that a risk of I-131 form denial is pretty high

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Yes my case is in court, and im in a weird situation now regarding USA.
I read that I can ask for expedite hearing, but I don't have the time. I have to land in Canada pretty soon.
When do you have to land ? Well, In the worst case scenario if you miss your court , you’ll be banned from the US entrance for 5 years. But you won’t be able to visit US for 5 years anyways until you become a Canadian citizen . So I wouldn’t worry too much about it . Have you received your notice to appear ?

Reactions: SJPLAMA

SJPLAMA

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
When do you have to land ? Well, In the worst case scenario if you miss your court , you’ll be banned from the US entrance for 5 years. But you won’t be able to visit US for 5 years anyways until you become a Canadian citizen . So I wouldn’t worry too much about it . Have you received your notice to appear ?
I have to land in a month.
My master hearing now is in 1.5 years, end of 2020. It got re-scheduled multiple times by them.
Thats what's I'm counting on, that I wont try/need to come back in next 5 years anyway hopefully.
Like everyone else here, I couldn't be so sure I will get approved PR, and didnt take any steps towards voluntary departure process. And time went so fast.

You do present the advance parole only when you return to USA, is this correct? You dont need to show to anyone when you leave the country?

Thank you for all your help.

mishka2018

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
I have to land in a month.
My master hearing now is in 1.5 years, end of 2020. It got re-scheduled multiple times by them.
Thats what's I'm counting on, that I wont try/need to come back in next 5 years anyway hopefully.
Like everyone else here, I couldn't be so sure I will get approved PR, and didnt take any steps towards voluntary departure process. And time went so fast.

You do present the advance parole only when you return to USA, is this correct? You dont need to show to anyone when you leave the country?

Thank you for all your help.
Yeah, I don’t think you can request your volunteer departure from the DHS now since your master hearing is scheduled, but I’m not 100% positive . But definitely 1 months isn’t that much time left . And don’t worry - 5 years will go fast , Canada is nice , Toronto for example is like a small clean nicer copy of New York, you won’t regret it. Good luck !

P. S. No one cares about your documents when you are leaving the US , you just getting out of the country and they are happy so, no advance parole or anything is needed

Reactions: SJPLAMA