+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Explained

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
One of my friends opened a US dollar account with HSBC. Do you have any idea if it's better to withdraw such money from an ATM (i.e. the US dollars will be converted to Canadian dollars as per the bank's exchange rate) or withdraw US dollars from the teller and then go get them converted to Canadian dollars at a money exchange house?

islamabad786

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
March 2015
Bank exchange rates are always lower than money exchanger in Canada as per my experience
mystique9999 said:
One of my friends opened a US dollar account with HSBC. Do you have any idea if it's better to withdraw such money from an ATM (i.e. the US dollars will be converted to Canadian dollars as per the bank's exchange rate) or withdraw US dollars from the teller and then go get them converted to Canadian dollars at a money exchange house?

Accraboi

Jan 14, 2016
salmanahm said:
Best place to live is where u have some reference from home. If u dont have any then Cheapest two room apartments I have found are in Thorncliffe park drive. Lot of Pakis around and place looks like Karachi. Rent for two room is 1200 including all utilities. Might have to pay another 50 for parking. Check the apartment b4 signing agreement. Some apartments have problems there and building management doesn't responds. I can guarantee 3 buildings of Rideu towers are good but call them to check if they have something available.
Thanks for this information

Achee

Star Member
Feb 15, 2014
Surrey, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]LONDON[/color][/b][/font][/size]
NOC Code......
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]2175[/color][/b][/font][/size]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]22-AUG-2014[/color][/b][/font][/size]
AOR Received.
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]28-AUG-2014[/color][/b][/font][/size]
File Transfer...
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]19-DEC-2014 [size=8pt](to LVO)[/color][/b][/font][/size]
Med's Request
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]27-OCT-2015 [size=8pt](+ PCC, RRPF, Proof of Funds)[/color][/b][/font][/size]
Med's Done....
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]01-NOV-2015[/color][/b][/font][/size]
Passport Req..
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]12-FEB-2016[/color][/b][/font][/size]
VISA ISSUED...
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]08-FEB-2016[/color][/b][/font][/size]
LANDED..........
[size=9pt][font=courier][b][color=green]29-JUL-2016[/color][/b][/font][/size]
Dear Salman,

I was wondering, since my spouse and I will be immigrating soon inshaAllah:
* Is it permissible to bring medicine in huge quantities? Like you to said to bring stock for a year or more.
(in our case, they are mostly Panadol, Anti-allergy/histamine, Eltroxin)
* Can be bring them without prescriptions?
* Do we have to mention these medicines in our items list?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Achee said:
Dear Salman,

* Is it permissible to bring medicine in huge quantities? Like you to said to bring stock for a year or more.
1) Even if you have a doctor's prescription, bringing in so much medicines would likely not be possible.

2) Absolutely not.

3) As long as you bring them in small quantities along with a prescription, you are good to go.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
You can bring one year stock only if you can 'prove' that you have certain type of illness & it is a requirement.

Generally they allow small stock of upto three months that is what the medical insurance waiting time is.

rajkamalmohanram said:
1) Even if you have a doctor's prescription, bringing in so much medicines would likely not be possible.

2) Absolutely not.

3) As long as you bring them in small quantities along with a prescription, you are good to go.

mukuls30

Jan 17, 2016
Dear Salman .

Thanks a lot for your post.
Really helpful and accurate.
May god help you in every way possible and you get whatever you desires.
I'll pray for good health for you and your family.

I'm very new to this thread , though i've posted same question in another category . Just thought if i can post it again.

"
I'm 24 year old and having 2 year experience in IT domain ( Infosys Ltd Company ).
I'm not liking the job very much.
Just wanna do masters once .
I was looking to get some advice on colleges for Data science as Masters in Canada ? And how is job opportunity after masters. ( Will masters be same as certifications )
I'm giving my IELTS in March '16.
I got 72% in my bachelors ( BTech[IT]).
I've even got suggestions to apply for PR first , as then i'll be resident , and will have residential benefits.
Yes i'm planning to settle in canada too. I don't have any blood relations living in canada.
Only family friends .
So is that a better option ?

Kindly advise.

PS : yes i'm too confused right now as to what to do .

"

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Transferred to London from Islamabad
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-1-15 PP received on 21-1-15
Your family doctor is the best guide for what to bring and what not to. But panadol (kids and adults) is Acetaminophen or Tylenol available cheap over the counter here so no need to bring it in huge number.
Antiallergics like citrazine for adults are available OTC. The real problem is antibiotics and inhalers for children. Ventoline and Fluticasone inhalers for my child cost $86 and cant get it without prescription. I called someone and he brought packs of both inhaler cartridges from Pakistan without prescription. Thanks god we merely had to use antibiotics and whatever we brought is still there. Our one year stock of medicine was just 250g. None of us are on a continuous medication except for my daughter who needs inhalers regularly.
Legally you cant take medicine without prescription through the airport but if u keep it within limits and it doesn't pops up like huge bunch on their scanner, no one will ask anything and if someone asks the best answer is Medicine. I have never heard anybody stopped or asked to open a suitcase for medicine ( of course within reasonable amounts).
We did include the word Medcine in our Goods accompnying list and CBSA officer was interested in a copy of that list. She never read what was written in there. Goods accompanying list is beneficial for you because if someone asks you infront of a scanner "whats that?" You have a list to prove to him/her that this the one. This saves your baggage feom opening.

Achee said:
Dear Salman,

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
A master degree definitely increases your chances to get jobs but for me it wasn't a good option at 38 years of age. thats why i consider professional certifications as a faster way forward.
Generally speaking immigration is definitely better than a student visa. If you qualify for immigration its the best way forward.
I can't tell you which program and which University suits you. You can scan the internet. I can only tell you that Ontario has more colleges than any other province so try Ontario.

mukuls30 said:
Dear Salman .

Thanks a lot for your post.
Really helpful and accurate.
May god help you in every way possible and you get whatever you desires.
I'll pray for good health for you and your family.

I'm very new to this thread , though i've posted same question in another category . Just thought if i can post it again.

"
I'm 24 year old and having 2 year experience in IT domain ( Infosys Ltd Company ).
I'm not liking the job very much.
Just wanna do masters once .
I was looking to get some advice on colleges for Data science as Masters in Canada ? And how is job opportunity after masters. ( Will masters be same as certifications )
I'm giving my IELTS in March '16.
I got 72% in my bachelors ( BTech[IT]).
I've even got suggestions to apply for PR first , as then i'll be resident , and will have residential benefits.
Yes i'm planning to settle in canada too. I don't have any blood relations living in canada.
Only family friends .
So is that a better option ?

Kindly advise.

PS : yes i'm too confused right now as to what to do .

"

Fsasamir

Star Member
Mar 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Friends, can anyone provide the sample of List of Accompanying Goods? Can you plz also advise if I should prepare separate lists per bag? I am going to have approximately 7 bags.

dguru

Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
12-02-2015
Med's Request
17-08-2015
Med's Done....
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
08-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 (1st Landing)
Hello Salman,

Based on Current Immigration policy. Please can you confirm this assertion by someone ''If you live outside canada & support family, then you have maximum 3 years from the date of first entry to settle in Canada or max 5 years subject to if you are not reported at arrival.''

I am looking at arriving Canada with my family first and go back. thereafter come back fully after 2 years. Please confirm how many years do i need to spend outside Canada after 1st landing in order to still get the PR status and Citizenship?

Revert pls.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
dguru said:
Hello Salman,

Based on Current Immigration policy. Please can you confirm this assertion by someone ''If you live outside canada & support family, then you have maximum 3 years from the date of first entry to settle in Canada or max 5 years subject to if you are not reported at arrival.''

I am looking at arriving Canada with my family first and go back. thereafter come back fully after 2 years. Please confirm how many years do i need to spend outside Canada after 1st landing in order to still get the PR status and Citizenship?

Revert pls.
You need two spend two of the next five years after landing in Canada, to keep your PR status current. Doing a short landing and going back after 2 years is possible. It's even possible to go back after three years, but not advisable, as you'd have to spend the next two years in Canada without leaving the country for even a day. This leaves you with no wiggle room to attend to emergencies or occasions in you home country should the need arise.
Hope this helps.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Perfect Answer
I advice everyone landing in Canada to land once and for all. I havent seen anyone settling here With a splited mind and having backup options.

rahul20978 said:
You need two spend two of the next five years after landing in Canada, to keep your PR status current. Doing a short landing and going back after 2 years is possible. It's even possible to go back after three years, but not advisable, as you'd have to spend the next two years in Canada without leaving the country for even a day. This leaves you with no wiggle room to attend to emergencies or occasions in you home country should the need arise.
Hope this helps.