+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

>>>>Canada COPR - Traveling from USA. COVID-19 Pace. 2019/2020<<<< Join here

Snagh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Dear All,

I have a question...I received my PR visa and COPR back in May and I will travel to Canada from US. On IRCC's website, they made a different between traveling from the US and from other foreign countries - the difference is about the issuance date of COPR:

"Travelling from any country other than the US

If we issued your confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) on or before March 18, 2020, you

• are exempt from the travel restrictions and
  • can travel to Canada with your CoPR to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident
Check the issue date in the Application Details section of your CoPR to see if this applies to you.

Travelling from the US

You can travel to Canada from the United States to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• we approved your application and
  • we sent you a CoPR"
seems that if I am traveling from US then my COPR doesn't need to be issued before 3/18/2020? Can anyone confirm this..? I tried webform to IRCC and they just reply me by coping this directly without telling if true or false and therefore letting me do the interpretation...
You should be able to travel from US. The restriction of 3/18/2020 is applicable for countries other than US. However, soft landing may not be an option. If you are travelling to settle permanently, then there shouldn't be an issue.

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
Hi Kennedy I believe we are in the same boat or at least similar...I am traveling from US directly as well with my COPR and my PR visa. My COPR was issued in May and valid through Oct and I am planning to settle in Canada upon arrived... However, I don't know if :
1. Travel to Canada to settle in/find jobs/start a new life can be deemed as "non-discretionary" and
2. My COPR was issued in May (I think the 3/18 issuance date requirement are only for those traveling not from US)

Can I have you opinion on this or can you give me the number you used to contact IRCC (the one I used is just a voice mailbox)...
From everything I've read and heard- actually landing and living in Canada (for immigration) is not discretionary. I received my COPR in January, sometime after Covid, I received an official email stating "If you can still travel to Canada to immigrate, please do so". Essentially encouraging to initiate our immigration. Now, you have to follow all the rules. (for instance, self isolation, etc- it's all on the official Canadian websites as far as where you are traveling from, etc)....

sladeyl11

Jul 27, 2020
From everything I've read and heard- actually landing and living in Canada (for immigration) is not discretionary. I received my COPR in January, sometime after Covid, I received an official email stating "If you can still travel to Canada to immigrate, please do so". Essentially encouraging to initiate our immigration. Now, you have to follow all the rules. (for instance, self isolation, etc- it's all on the official Canadian websites as far as where you are traveling from, etc)....
Thank you Max..My biggest concerns are 1) is traveling from US with COPR issued after 3/18 eligible and 2) is settling in being considered as non-discretionary. From many threads I think both are satisfied...
Thanks for the reminder... I will look up some Airbnb for quarantine.

Reactions: maxshrike

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
Hello- I have related question(s)- I have a valid COPR. My sponsor and I (and family) are traveling to Canada and crossing by land in August. Per travel rules, we are allowed to visit based on the fact my sponsor is a Canadian citizen and we are visiting relatives. This trip is to start the process of moving from the US. Let's just say we intend to start house-hunting, etc. We have a valid self-isolation (quarantine plan) for the 14 days per requirements. After that, we will stay with family in Canada. We will use that Canadian family address to send the PR card to. BUT, we will need to return to US to take care of some moving tasks. (a lot of moving parts to a permanent move). We are told this isn't an issue. Here are the questions:

1) Sponsor is a Canadian citizen, but also dual US citizen. When crossing the boarder, we are presumed to present the US passport (per US state department). Does anyone know if this presents any problems. We intend to carry her Canadian birth documents and Canadian passport. But present the US passport for crossing.

2) Does anyone know how long the CURRENT time is to process the permanent PR card? It used to be about two weeks? As a US citizen, once I go back to US (to help the move), I CANNOT re-enter Canada without my permanent PR card.

Because we want to be able to finalize US affairs, and it can't be done all at once, we'll both need to travel back and forth. (not too much, since self-isolation/quarantine rules), but we will need to go back again.

Anyone have experience with entering (landing) with a sponsor who is dual citizen of US? (question 1) - anyone have experience since covid-19 with the time it takes to process the PR card?

Thanks!

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
Thank you Max..My biggest concerns are 1) is traveling from US with COPR issued after 3/18 eligible and 2) is settling in being considered as non-discretionary. From many threads I think both are satisfied...
Thanks for the reminder... I will look up some Airbnb for quarantine.
I think you are reading it correct- #1- You have a valid COPR, you can go to Canada! (Yay) Date of 3/18 (before or after): Seems to only be related only to whether or not you are EXEMPT from travel restrictions. (such as mandatory self-isolation/quarantine). So, if you have a valid self-isolation/quarantine plan, you should be golden.

In our case we have a great quarantine plan (thanks to Canadian family members). Since my sponsor (wife) is crossing with me, we think she has to use her US passport. (that's what the US state dept says). She will go back to US for some move-related items, I will go back later also, but everything says that should be fine. (just follow the travel restriction rules, which by review, looks like we can)

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Hello- I have related question(s)- I have a valid COPR. My sponsor and I (and family) are traveling to Canada and crossing by land in August. Per travel rules, we are allowed to visit based on the fact my sponsor is a Canadian citizen and we are visiting relatives. This trip is to start the process of moving from the US. Let's just say we intend to start house-hunting, etc. We have a valid self-isolation (quarantine plan) for the 14 days per requirements. After that, we will stay with family in Canada. We will use that Canadian family address to send the PR card to. BUT, we will need to return to US to take care of some moving tasks. (a lot of moving parts to a permanent move). We are told this isn't an issue. Here are the questions:

1) Sponsor is a Canadian citizen, but also dual US citizen. When crossing the boarder, we are presumed to present the US passport (per US state department). Does anyone know if this presents any problems. We intend to carry her Canadian birth documents and Canadian passport. But present the US passport for crossing.

2) Does anyone know how long the CURRENT time is to process the permanent PR card? It used to be about two weeks? As a US citizen, once I go back to US (to help the move), I CANNOT re-enter Canada without my permanent PR card.

Because we want to be able to finalize US affairs, and it can't be done all at once, we'll both need to travel back and forth. (not too much, since self-isolation/quarantine rules), but we will need to go back again.

Anyone have experience with entering (landing) with a sponsor who is dual citizen of US? (question 1) - anyone have experience since covid-19 with the time it takes to process the PR card?

Thanks!
1. Your first answers yes! you should hold on to both passports if you are a dual citizen of US/Canada and present them at appropriate ports of entry. If you're entering Canada, present em Passport of Canada, If you're entering US present em passport of USA.

2. 129 days for your new card, also it changes every Tuesday. check here
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Also you cannot do soft landing! You cannot return to US until you finish your quarantine in Canada. You must follow the guidelines, Canada is known for its hefty fines when comes to violation of laws. Keep a watch.

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Hi Kennedy I believe we are in the same boat or at least similar...I am traveling from US directly as well with my COPR and my PR visa. My COPR was issued in May and valid through Oct and I am planning to settle in Canada upon arrived... However, I don't know if :
1. Travel to Canada to settle in/find jobs/start a new life can be deemed as "non-discretionary" and
2. My COPR was issued in May (I think the 3/18 issuance date requirement are only for those traveling not from US)

Can I have you opinion on this or can you give me the number you used to contact IRCC (the one I used is just a voice mailbox)...
Hi there! Yes, you are exempted to travel since you already have your COPR and traveling from US.
You can call IRCC at +1 (888) 242-2100
CBSA at 1-800-461-9999

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
Also you cannot do soft landing! You cannot return to US until you finish your quarantine in Canada. You must follow the guidelines, Canada is known for its hefty fines when comes to violation of laws. Keep a watch.
1) Yes, "soft" may be relative. Correct, we have a quarantine plan. We are not doing a "u-turn" or anything like that. So we don't plan on returning before that time! But, we will need to go back to take care of US affairs.

2) GREAT info- I hadn't realized they had the PR Card in the drop down menu. So now I know. (as mentioned, once the PR is validated (COPR Landing) one can't leave then re-enter Canada without the permanent PR card, so now I can keep that in our planning.)

Thanks!

Reactions: S Kennedy

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
1) Yes, "soft" may be relative. Correct, we have a quarantine plan. We are not doing a "u-turn" or anything like that. So we don't plan on returning before that time! But, we will need to go back to take care of US affairs.

2) GREAT info- I hadn't realized they had the PR Card in the drop down menu. So now I know. (as mentioned, once the PR is validated (COPR Landing) one can't leave then re-enter Canada without the permanent PR card, so now I can keep that in our planning.)

Thanks!
Yes you should be good as long as its not soft landing and you do have a quarantine plan! Safe travels.

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Dear All,

I have a question...I received my PR visa and COPR back in May and I will travel to Canada from US. On IRCC's website, they made a different between traveling from the US and from other foreign countries - the difference is about the issuance date of COPR:

"Travelling from any country other than the US

If we issued your confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) on or before March 18, 2020, you

• are exempt from the travel restrictions and
  • can travel to Canada with your CoPR to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident
Check the issue date in the Application Details section of your CoPR to see if this applies to you.

Travelling from the US

You can travel to Canada from the United States to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• we approved your application and
  • we sent you a CoPR"
seems that if I am traveling from US then my COPR doesn't need to be issued before 3/18/2020? Can anyone confirm this..? I tried webform to IRCC and they just reply me by coping this directly without telling if true or false and therefore letting me do the interpretation...
Yes, this clearly say folks traveling from USA (no matter what their citizenship they hold) and having a COPR can travel to Canada to settle as PR (Again no Soft landing). It is a full and complete move.

sladeyl11

Jul 27, 2020
Yes, this clearly say folks traveling from USA (no matter what their citizenship they hold) and having a COPR can travel to Canada to settle as PR (Again no Soft landing). It is a full and complete move.
Thank you Kennedy. I'm looking to settle in Canada in Sept.

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Approved permanent residence applications (with a COPR and PRV issued to clients outside Canada)
Valid COPR and PRV
Travelling from any country other than the US (group 1)

If the COPR and PRV were issued on or before March 18, 2020 and are still valid, the applicant

• is exempt from the travel restrictions
  • can travel to Canada for non-discretionary reasons with the COPR and PRV in order to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident and
  • must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada

Applicants must check the issue date in the Application Details section of their COPR to see if this applies to them.

Travelling from the US (group 2)

Applicants can travel to Canada from the US for non-discretionary reasons to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• their application was approved
  • they received their COPR and PRV and both are still valid and
  • they have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada
Expired COPR and PRV
Travelling from any country other than the US (group 3)

If the COPR and PRV were issued on or before March 18, 2020 but are now expired, the applicant

• is exempt from the travel restrictions
  • can travel to Canada for non-discretionary reasons with the COPR and PRV in order to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident and
  • must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada

Applicants must check the issue date in the Application Details section of their COPR to see if this applies to them.

Travelling from the US (group 4)

Applicants with expired COPRs can travel to Canada from the US for non-discretionary reasons to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• their application was approved
  • they received their COPR and PRV and
  • they have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada

Only permanent resident applicants who are in possession of an expired COPR and PRV and who are ready to travel to Canada should contact IRCC using the Web form, to provide information on when the COPR expired and the non-discretionary reason(s) for travelling. Once Web forms are received, the Client Support Centre will refer them to the appropriate processing network (CN or IN), which will assess them based on the eligibility criteria below.

These applicants can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if they plan to stay and settle. If they’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, they can’t do that right now unless they’re exempt from the restrictions. They must show

• proof of an acceptable plan to settle: documents to support their living situation in Canada (address, lease agreement, home ownership document), employment plans in Canada (location of work, letter from employer) or any other relevant information
  • proof of an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada: includes proof of funds (bank or credit card statements) and how they will access groceries, medical care and other essential services.
    • While in quarantine, they will not be able to leave their place of quarantine for any reason. This is mandatory even if they have no COVID-19 symptoms.
  • proposed travel itinerary: a description of their proposed travel itinerary, including travel tickets if they already have purchased them

In addition, the applicant and accompanying family members must show that they meet the following criteria:

• held a valid COPR and PRV on or before March 18, 2020, but these documents have now expired; no specific date for US-based applicants
  • have a compelling reason to travel to Canada now:
    • family reunification: family member is in Canada and usually resides there
    • economic: economic services and supply chains, critical infrastructure support
    • health (immediate medical care), safety and security
    • supporting Indigenous communities
    • expiring status in the US
    • tending to family matters for non-optional or non-discretionary purposes
    • any other activities that are deemed non-optional or non-discretionary by the Government of Canada or based on an officer’s assessment
  • the country where the client resides is not subject to exit controls that limit the client’s ability to travel to Canada. Within IN, processing officers will liaise with the respective migration program managers to verify this information; within CN, processing officers will liaise with the International Network – Rapid Response Operations Centre (IN-RROC), who will liaise with the appropriate migration program manager to verify this information.

Priority will be given to clients with a proposed or confirmed and detailed travel plan, or a willingness to book and confirm travel plans immediately once approved.