+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you renounce permanent residency, then re-apply in years to come?

dgormerod95

Jan 8, 2018
Hi there, just a thought that has been worrying me recently -

I immigrated to Canada from the UK with my family in 2010. We were granted PR and accordingly renewed in 2016. I did my undergraduate in the United States, which immigration weren't too pleased about, and they definitely hesitated to grant me a second PR card. But they did. I had big plans to start my life back here in Canada. But due to issues with ailing family members, and the fact that I have just been accepted onto a Masters degree course back home in the UK, I fear I will not meet the requirements to renew my permanent residency in 2021.

My family and I applied for citizenship years ago, but were denied on the terms that my mother and father were apparently 'inadequate in English.' (We're from the UK, what?). It came down to the fact that neither my Mother or Father had degrees from accredited universities. We couldn't afford to re-apply, so just became comfortable with the fact that we'd just remain permanent residents.

I'm looking to the future, since I want to move back to Canada once my degree in completed in the United Kingdom. I know for sure that I don't want to start a family in the UK and I believe the future to be brighter in Canada.

I finished high school here, I have worked several full-time jobs here - a large chunk of my life has been spent in Canada. My parents and sister still live here full-time and I visit them regularly. I just don't know what to do on account of renouncing my PR.

If I renounce my permanent residency, can I re-apply in the future? My Father has had a solid job in Canada since 2010 and my Mum is building a good career. They have no plans to move back to the UK and are actually about to start applying for citizenship once more. I just don't know what to do going forward.

If my Father is granted citizenship, can he sponsor me for citizenship or PR?
Had I known the rules and regulations at 18 years old, I would've stayed in Canada for my undergrad.

All advice and/or help is thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks!

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hi there, just a thought that has been worrying me recently -

I immigrated to Canada from the UK with my family in 2010. We were granted PR and accordingly renewed in 2016. I did my undergraduate in the United States, which immigration weren't too pleased about, and they definitely hesitated to grant me a second PR card. But they did. I had big plans to start my life back here in Canada. But due to issues with ailing family members, and the fact that I have just been accepted onto a Masters degree course back home in the UK, I fear I will not meet the requirements to renew my permanent residency in 2021.

My family and I applied for citizenship years ago, but were denied on the terms that my mother and father were apparently 'inadequate in English.' (We're from the UK, what?). It came down to the fact that neither my Mother or Father had degrees from accredited universities. We couldn't afford to re-apply, so just became comfortable with the fact that we'd just remain permanent residents.
Just being from the UK doesn't mean a thing - your parents could be monolingually Welsh, Gailic, Gujurati, or just very poorly educated with the accompanying English language skills. Everyone (with some age exceptions) applying for citizenship needs to provide either an official test result in English or French, or show they graduated from a university course where the official documentation says it was taught in English or French.

I'm looking to the future, since I want to move back to Canada once my degree in completed in the United Kingdom. I know for sure that I don't want to start a family in the UK and I believe the future to be brighter in Canada.

I finished high school here, I have worked several full-time jobs here - a large chunk of my life has been spent in Canada. My parents and sister still live here full-time and I visit them regularly. I just don't know what to do on account of renouncing my PR.
The easiest thing would be to do your Masters in Canada. You have 3 years until 2021, so even if you've been in the US since you renewed your PR card, you have time to meet the Residency Obligation. If you leave now so that you don't, that's your choosing.

If I renounce my permanent residency, can I re-apply in the future?
Yes. Any time you qualify, you can apply. It's not held against you that you chose not to live there in the past.

My Father has had a solid job in Canada since 2010 and my Mum is building a good career. They have no plans to move back to the UK and are actually about to start applying for citizenship once more. I just don't know what to do going forward.

If my Father is granted citizenship, can he sponsor me for citizenship or PR?
Had I known the rules and regulations at 18 years old, I would've stayed in Canada for my undergrad.

All advice and/or help is thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks!
Whether they're citizens, or permanent residents, your parents can sponsor you if you are a "dependent child", which is defined as:

Dependent child:

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements below on the day we receive your complete application:

• They’re under 22 years old, and
  • They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
Dependants must continue to meet these requirements until they enter Canada.
(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html#dependent)