+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you give biometrics inside Canada when doing an outland application

himajin

Feb 4, 2022
My wife just received a request for biometrics. She is doing an OUTLAND application, and the letter seems vague and contradictory about whether she can give her biometrics here in Canada or not. It says:
It was sent to my address in Canada (which a service Canada agent said indicates that she can provide her biometrics here in Canada). In one part, it says:
Most applicants will need to give their biometrics at a biometric collection service point abroad before they travel to Canada. Only those who are eligible to apply for a work permit or a study permit at a designated port of entry can give their biometrics upon arrival.
This sounds like she can't do it here. But another section says:
You need to take this letter with you and go in person to any biometric collection service point to have your fingerprints and photograph taken. Before you go, you need to make an appointment.
• If you are outside Canada or the United States, you may go to any Visa Application Centre (VAC) most convenient to you.
• If you are in the United States, you may go to a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Application Support Center (ASC) or a Visa Application Centre (VAC) located in the United States or its territories.
• If you are in Canada, you may go to a designated Service Canada location.

She usually lives here in Canada with me (on a tourist visa), but is back in Japan until the 22nd. She can't get an appointment for biometrics in Japan until the 22nd, which would cause her to miss her flight. Has anyone given their biometrics within Canada when doing an outland application?

himajin

Feb 4, 2022
Thanks for the information, Armoured. Can I just ask if that's based on experience or how you know the information?

himajin

Feb 4, 2022
Sorry if I offended you. It's just that this is a serious matter for us because we may have to pay a lot of money to delay my wife's flight back to Canada and we want to be very sure of things. It's kind of you to give us an answer, but I also think it's natural to want to know what basis a person has for their answer, especially on an Internet forum where you don't know the person you're talking to.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Sorry if I offended you. It's just that this is a serious matter for us because we may have to pay a lot of money to delay my wife's flight back to Canada and we want to be very sure of things. It's kind of you to give us an answer, but I also think it's natural to want to know what basis a person has for their answer, especially on an Internet forum where you don't know the person you're talking to.
Just go to a service Canada location! You will find out quickly enough!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My wife just received a request for biometrics. She is doing an OUTLAND application, and the letter seems vague and contradictory about whether she can give her biometrics here in Canada or not. It says:
It was sent to my address in Canada (which a service Canada agent said indicates that she can provide her biometrics here in Canada). In one part, it says:
Most applicants will need to give their biometrics at a biometric collection service point abroad before they travel to Canada. Only those who are eligible to apply for a work permit or a study permit at a designated port of entry can give their biometrics upon arrival.
This sounds like she can't do it here. But another section says:
You need to take this letter with you and go in person to any biometric collection service point to have your fingerprints and photograph taken. Before you go, you need to make an appointment.
• If you are outside Canada or the United States, you may go to any Visa Application Centre (VAC) most convenient to you.
• If you are in the United States, you may go to a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Application Support Center (ASC) or a Visa Application Centre (VAC) located in the United States or its territories.
• If you are in Canada, you may go to a designated Service Canada location.

She usually lives here in Canada with me (on a tourist visa), but is back in Japan until the 22nd. She can't get an appointment for biometrics in Japan until the 22nd, which would cause her to miss her flight. Has anyone given their biometrics within Canada when doing an outland application?
It literally says it’s right above , in BOLD print, that’s what it’s based on

himajin

Feb 4, 2022
It literally says it’s right above , in BOLD print, that’s what it’s based on
I added the bold, and the two statements contradict each other. When I contacted my MP's office, their immigration expert agreed that it was very confusing and said she had to get clarification from the IRCC.
Anyway, just for other people's reference, the MP's office has informed me that it is possible to do your biometrics in Canada even if your application is Outland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arham_Charfare
May 9, 2023
I added the bold, and the two statements contradict each other. When I contacted my MP's office, their immigration expert agreed that it was very confusing and said she had to get clarification from the IRCC.
Anyway, just for other people's reference, the MP's office has informed me that it is possible to do your biometrics in Canada even if your application is Outland.
Hello himajin, what did you end up doing? Did you give the biometrics in Canada or outside Canada. I am in a similar situation, my application is outland but i am currently visiting my wife in Canada on a tourist visa.