+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you enter Canada as visitor through a valid W1 visa?

novice911

Dec 12, 2020
Hi,

I had received a closed work permit through an employer and got a W1 visa. After 1 year, I left my job and came back to home country. Now can I visit Canada on the W1 TRV as a visitor (no work intent)?

Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I had received a closed work permit through an employer and got a W1 visa. After 1 year, I left my job and came back to home country. Now can I visit Canada on the W1 TRV as a visitor (no work intent)?

Thanks in advance!
Since your visa is based on a job, you may be asked to show proof of employment upon entry to Canada. Don’t you have ITA and AOR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I do have an ITA and AOR. Does that help? I am just looking to visit - and not work.
No it doesn’t help because it will show intent that you will not leave and are not really visiting. All you can do is book a flight and try to enter Canada. You may or may not be asked for job offer letter on entry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
You should apply for a new TRV as a visitor for tourism. There is a very good chance that you’ll be asked to prove that you are still employed with the employer associated with your WP.