+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you convert International Driving License to a Canadian one

San.Jamous

Star Member
Feb 4, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new PR in Toronto, Ontario. I was living in Saudi Arabia before I moved here. I had my driving license there of course and before I came I got my international driving license for a year.
So I wonder if I can convert my international driving license to a Canadian one? Because to get the requirements for the Saudi Driving License will be hassle now specially with all the politics :/.. Anyway it has expired anyway!..
So yeah anyone has information about converting International Driving License.

Thanks!.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new PR in Toronto, Ontario. I was living in Saudi Arabia before I moved here. I had my driving license there of course and before I came I got my international driving license for a year.
So I wonder if I can convert my international driving license to a Canadian one? Because to get the requirements for the Saudi Driving License will be hassle now specially with all the politics :/.. Anyway it has expired anyway!..
So yeah anyone has information about converting International Driving License.

Thanks!.
You can't convert it. It is essentially just a translated proof of your actual driver's license.

Reactions: San.Jamous

Bhavikjazzy

Jun 3, 2017
Also note that a your home country driving license is fit to drive for only for specific time from date of landing (as long as it's not expired). After that both your driving license as well as international permit will not be valid for driving.
I think the time frame for Ontario is around 60 days for new PR.

More information about exchanging driver's license in Ontario can be found here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

Reactions: San.Jamous