+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you attend a remote class for your program even if your visa hasn't been approved yet?

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Hi there,

I have been accepted to the Technical Communication program in Seneca College for May 2020 intake. Right now, my study permit is still pending approval--I submitted it over a month ago. Because of the COVID-19 lockdown in my country (Philippines), the processing might take longer (knock on wood).

PM Trudeau also ordered an indefinite ban on foreigners. I contacted Seneca regarding this. They said they would still pursue with the original schedule (it's possible that the ban may be lifted before May). However, if the ban still stays, they are considering remote classes.

My question is this:
1. Suppose there is still no feedback on my application beyond the first day of class, could I still begin pursue the program remotely (since you don't need a study visa when you're physically not in Canada)?
2. Just in case my already lodged study permit gets denied (knock on wood), is it safe to reapply? Is there a chance approval would be guaranteed by that time?

Thank you very much in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I have been accepted to the Technical Communication program in Seneca College for May 2020 intake. Right now, my study permit is still pending approval--I submitted it over a month ago. Because of the COVID-19 lockdown in my country (Philippines), the processing might take longer (knock on wood).

PM Trudeau also ordered an indefinite ban on foreigners. I contacted Seneca regarding this. They said they would still pursue with the original schedule (it's possible that the ban may be lifted before May). However, if the ban still stays, they are considering remote classes.

My question is this:
1. Suppose there is still no feedback on my application beyond the first day of class, could I still begin pursue the program remotely (since you don't need a study visa when you're physically not in Canada)?
2. Just in case my already lodged study permit gets denied (knock on wood), is it safe to reapply? Is there a chance approval would be guaranteed by that time?

Thank you very much in advance!
1. You need to be holding a valid study permit in order for your studies to count towards a PGWP. This means getting an approved visa and entering Canada. If you start studying early, assume it may be a problem to get a PGWP.
2. Sure - you can certainly reapply.

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
Response to question 1: Only your college will be able to answer that. Ask about their policies. In my case, my university didn't allow that.

2. There's no safe/unsafe time. Based on the rejection reasons, if you need to collect more supporting documents, you probably would need more time to reapply

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Thank you for your response!

2. There's no safe/unsafe time. Based on the rejection reasons, if you need to collect more supporting documents, you probably would need more time to reapply
What I meant to say is, if I had already begun my remote class with the school (if they allowed me to go on without a visa), is it safe for me to reapply for a visa for the time that they will require me to be physically present there?

Hope I made myself clear. Thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for your response!

What I meant to say is, if I had already begun my remote class with the school (if they allowed me to go on without a visa), is it safe for me to reapply for a visa for the time that they will require me to be physically present there?

Hope I made myself clear. Thanks!
As previously said, only your school can make the call if you'd be allowed to study remotely without a study permit, but I would expect them to take the conservative stance and only allow enrollment when you actually have an approved study permit.

(What I mean to say is...I don't think you have to worry about this hypothetical scenario.)

Did you apply for your study permit through the Student Direct Stream?

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
As previously said, only your school can make the call if you'd be allowed to study remotely without a study permit, but I would expect them to take the conservative stance and only allow enrollment when you actually have an approved study permit.

(What I mean to say is...I don't think you have to worry about this hypothetical scenario.)

Did you apply for your study permit through the Student Direct Stream?
Ok, thank you! No, I applied through the regular online stream.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
You don't need a permit to enroll remotely however note it will not be counted towards your eligibility for a PGWP
Thank you. What if I'm enrolled in a 1 yr program? If I'm in Canada for leass than 1 yr, will my PGWP also be less than that? Thanks.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you. What if I'm enrolled in a 1 yr program? If I'm in Canada for leass than 1 yr, will my PGWP also be less than that? Thanks.
You have to be in Canada for more than 50% of the program length after which you will get the entire length in your PGWP. Anything less than 50% and you get nothing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you start your studies before you have a study permit, assume that it may not be possible to get a PGWP. So it all depends on how important the PGWP is to you.