+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply PGWP and SOWP together

Sagar hukmani

Sep 19, 2019
Hi Guys,

Need suggestion, i am on SOWP and my wife graduated in the month of August we both now hold an offer letter for NOC A job and our employers wants an implied status of our both (Visa will expire on Nov 30th). As she doesn't have 3pay stubs but we both have NOC A job can we apply together stating that Employer needs the Work Permit for us to join in with the attachment of offer letter and email screenshot from them?

Thanks in Advance!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but the way I read it in this link it is that to apply for the spouse permit the application needs to attach a copy of the approved PGWP as well as the PGWP holders employer letter/copy pay stubs. Whether stating employer needs anything not sure that will influence IRCC decision to do anything in any time line but cannot do any harm I guess given the PGWP applicant at least would be on implied status pending a decsion anyway. Cannot answer what status spouse would be in mean time

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Hi Guys,

Need suggestion, i am on SOWP and my wife graduated in the month of August we both now hold an offer letter for NOC A job and our employers wants an implied status of our both (Visa will expire on Nov 30th). As she doesn't have 3pay stubs but we both have NOC A job can we apply together stating that Employer needs the Work Permit for us to join in with the attachment of offer letter and email screenshot from them?

Thanks in Advance!
IMO your wife should flagpole and secure her PGWP first and then you apply for SOWP as the previous poster rightfully pointed out that a copy of PGWP will be required to support your SOWP application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Guys,

Thanks in Advance!
No. What your employer wants is irrelevant to IRCC. Your spouse needs 3 payslips for you to qualify to apply for an OWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Others can comment as well but the way I read it in this link it is that to apply for the spouse permit the application needs to attach a copy of the approved PGWP as well as the PGWP holders employer letter/copy pay stubs. Whether stating employer needs anything not sure that will influence IRCC decision to do anything in any time line but cannot do any harm I guess given the PGWP applicant at least would be on implied status pending a decsion anyway. Cannot answer what status spouse would be in mean time

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d
IMO your wife should flagpole and secure her PGWP first and then you apply for SOWP as the previous poster rightfully pointed out that a copy of PGWP will be required to support your SOWP application.
They can apply together. The PGWP does not have to be approved before the spouse can apply.

Reactions: SatNight

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Hello @canuck_in_uk, we are in the same situation as described. Do you happen to know how to apply for OWP when PGWP is not yet approved? We applied for my wife's PGWP, she works in a NOC A occupation, has 3 pay slips - but what documents should we provide instead of PGWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello @canuck_in_uk, we are in the same situation as described. Do you happen to know how to apply for OWP when PGWP is not yet approved? We applied for my wife's PGWP, she works in a NOC A occupation, has 3 pay slips - but what documents should we provide instead of PGWP?
Proof of the PGWP app.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, we thought so - but what counts as proof? Confirmation that says "Dear (Name), This confirms that your application has been received by IRCC..." It has application number, but it never specifies this is a PGWP application. I assume they will know based on application number?

Also, am I allowed to work while waiting for their decision? My current OWP expires in December.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah, we thought so - but what counts as proof? Confirmation that says "Dear (Name), This confirms that your application has been received by IRCC..." It has application number, but it never specifies this is a PGWP application. I assume they will know based on application number?

Also, am I allowed to work while waiting for their decision? My current OWP expires in December.
Yes, they can look up her app.

Given that your work permit is valid until December, you can just wait for her PGWP. You don't have to rush.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I know we don't have to rush, but there's a catch: she is a contract instructor and we still don't know which semesters she'll teach in the next academic year (around the end of the year). We don't want to run into a situation not to have 3 payslips and her NOC A job. PGWP should be sooner than that, but her current contract is until the end of June. Not sure if we want to wait for that. (Would sending 3 payslips from a job that ends in a month be ok?)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know we don't have to rush, but there's a catch: she is a contract instructor and we still don't know which semesters she'll teach in the next academic year (around the end of the year). We don't want to run into a situation not to have 3 payslips and her NOC A job. PGWP should be sooner than that, but her current contract is until the end of June. Not sure if we want to wait for that. (Would sending 3 payslips from a job that ends in a month be ok?)
Ah, makes sense.

Reactions: SatNight

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
That's good news. Does it matter that I don't work at the moment?

And I apply for a) a work permit with the same employer or b) apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer? It is a bit unclear about OWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's good news. Does it matter that I don't work at the moment?

And I apply for a) a work permit with the same employer or b) apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer? It is a bit unclear about OWP.
No, your employment status is irrelevant.

b)