+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply PGWP and SOWP together

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Oh, and one more thing, @canuck_in_uk: I see something about my wife needing to work at least for 6 months. Her current contract is for 8 months (September-April), but if I apply now, there is no 6 months left on it. Would it be ok to apply with her full contract (showing them her full contract) so they see how long she's been working?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh, and one more thing, @canuck_in_uk: I see something about my wife needing to work at least for 6 months. Her current contract is for 8 months (September-April), but if I apply now, there is no 6 months left on it. Would it be ok to apply with her full contract (showing them her full contract) so they see how long she's been working?
It might not. It's generally supposed to be 6 months from submission. All you can do is try. Your current permit remains valid.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, she will have future contracts for future semesters but they are not ready. We will try.

By the way, if we wait until she gets her PGWP (which should be valid for 3 years), does she need a 6 month contract from the date I apply, or is that different?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah, she will have future contracts for future semesters but they are not ready. We will try.

By the way, if we wait until she gets her PGWP (which should be valid for 3 years), does she need a 6 month contract from the date I apply, or is that different?
Same rules apply.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Makes sense. And does it have to be continuous? That's the thing with my wife's job: she is hired on a semester to semester basis. Sometimes, there are no courses to teach (like over the summer) so she doesn't work. Then she continues in the following semester, etc. She already knows she will work at least 9 months from February, but it will not be continuous. Would showing future contracts with my application help?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Makes sense. And does it have to be continuous? That's the thing with my wife's job: she is hired on a semester to semester basis. Sometimes, there are no courses to teach (like over the summer) so she doesn't work. Then she continues in the following semester, etc. She already knows she will work at least 9 months from February, but it will not be continuous. Would showing future contracts with my application help?
I can't say for certain if IRCC would accept that but you could certainly try.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I looked more into this, and there is one confusing rule. I would be grateful if this is clarified:

"Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as foreign workers may themselves be authorized to work without first having an offer of employment. A dependent spouse is eligible to apply for an open work permit if the principal foreign worker
  • holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least 6 months, or, if working under the authority of section R186 without a work permit, presents evidence that they will be working for a minimum of 6 months;" etc.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

R186 refers to those who work on a study permit, or have applied for a work permit after their studies. But does it refer to PGWP holders?

I assumed that PGWP holders are those under "holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least 6 months". PGWP is valid for longer; does that mean that spouses that already hold PGWP don't need to have a contract for future 6 months - just a proof that they are working at the time in a skilled occupation and have 3 payslips?

What I mean is: if we wait for my wife to get her PGWP (which should be valid for 3 years), then does her contract have to be for 6 months in the future, or simply show that she is currently working as a skilled worker and have 3 payslips?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I looked more into this, and there is one confusing rule. I would be grateful if this is clarified:

"Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as foreign workers may themselves be authorized to work without first having an offer of employment. A dependent spouse is eligible to apply for an open work permit if the principal foreign worker
  • holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least 6 months, or, if working under the authority of section R186 without a work permit, presents evidence that they will be working for a minimum of 6 months;" etc.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

R186 refers to those who work on a study permit, or have applied for a work permit after their studies. But does it refer to PGWP holders?

I assumed that PGWP holders are those under "holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least 6 months". PGWP is valid for longer; does that mean that spouses that already hold PGWP don't need to have a contract for future 6 months - just a proof that they are working at the time in a skilled occupation and have 3 payslips?

What I mean is: if we wait for my wife to get her PGWP (which should be valid for 3 years), then does her contract have to be for 6 months in the future, or simply show that she is currently working as a skilled worker and have 3 payslips?
Ah, my mistake. I was confusing the 6 month job vs. 6 month permit validity. Apologies!

PGWP does not fall under R186, which is authorization to work without a work permit. You should be fine without a contract.

Reactions: SatNight

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, but does that include those on implied status? (My wife applying for PGWP but still waiting for one)? Wouldn't that be R186(w) situation?

Many of those things are so confusing and vague. Thank you for your help untangling these rules.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah, but does that include those on implied status? (My wife applying for PGWP but still waiting for one)? Wouldn't that be R186(w) situation?

Many of those things are so confusing and vague. Thank you for your help untangling these rules.
Your work permit won't be approved until after her permit is, so Implied Status won't be a factor.

Feb 18, 2020
I am on study permit, my husband is on OPW, kid i son TRV, all of our visa expires on march 31,2020. I just received my transcripts and graduation. Can i go for flagpoling now

Egbs

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,
I have 2 questions on spouse owp. I’ll graduate at the end of this month

1. I am working on a contract, part-time on a Noc B job. However, I pay my own taxes, meaning I am self employed (external contractor). I still have the contract and 3 payslips. Would it count to apply for sowp or should I be ‘employed’?

2. Can he work even though I graduated until the expiry date he has on his current work permit?
I hope you can help me out too.