+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Visitor Record and PGWP running at the same time?

Mike0921

May 5, 2021
Hi,
I applied for Visitor Record in February. In April, I also opted in for the 18-month extension for PGWP before my current one expires.

Can they be running at the same time, or is it better to withdraw the VR application? If both get approved, which expiry date should I follow in order to stay legally?

Thank you

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Both can be valid at the same time. However, now that you have applied for the WP extension, you are on implied status until a decision is made and if approved the WP will have a longer period than the visitor's record. So It would be pointless to have the visitors record. Additionally, if you are going to rely on the visitors record for legal status, then you can not work..... Therefore it is better to have implied WP status. If you intend to work, do not use any information from the visitors record, simply rely on the implied status of the WP application.

Kenmartey

May 23, 2023
Hi Team,
I recently got my PGWP and I intended to apply for my TRV to enable me travel back to Canada anytime I visit other countries. I mistakenly applied for Visitors Record due to the similarity in the question form, and I was approved and Issued. So I have both PGWP and Visitor Record Valid. I requested IRCC to cancel the visitor Record but they responded saying once it's approved, cannot be cancelled. So I want to know if Visitor Record is going to affect me to applying or PR after my PGWP and also If I can have both running at the same time. Ideally I don't need the Visitor Record since I have the PGWP. Is it going to affect me working ?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hi Team,
I recently got my PGWP and I intended to apply for my TRV to enable me travel back to Canada anytime I visit other countries. I mistakenly applied for Visitors Record due to the similarity in the question form, and I was approved and Issued. So I have both PGWP and Visitor Record Valid. I requested IRCC to cancel the visitor Record but they responded saying once it's approved, cannot be cancelled. So I want to know if Visitor Record is going to affect me to applying or PR after my PGWP and also If I can have both running at the same time. Ideally I don't need the Visitor Record since I have the PGWP. Is it going to affect me working ?
No, having a visitor's record will not affect your future PR application. Just make sure to explain that it was a selection error. Your PGWP is valid so continue to operate with it accordingly.

yuksel

Sep 28, 2023
I was going to ask the same question. I mistakenly applied for visitor record instead of TRV. I was wondering if it would affect my PGWP status or future PR application but you already gave the answer. Just additionally I want to ask that you mentioned " Just make sure to explain that it was a selection error ", how we can explain it when we apply to PR? Is there any form we should fill out or is there any other way?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
I was going to ask the same question. I mistakenly applied for visitor record instead of TRV. I was wondering if it would affect my PGWP status or future PR application but you already gave the answer. Just additionally I want to ask that you mentioned " Just make sure to explain that it was a selection error ", how we can explain it when we apply to PR? Is there any form we should fill out or is there any other way?
There is no form to add this info. There is always (usually) an option for additional documents. People typically put their letter of explanation in this section for upload.

ljoseph

Jan 4, 2021
HI,
My PGWP is going to expire. So I am planning to apply for visitor status. Do we need to provide a letter of explanation for the visitor record?

Is it okay to give the summary of the letter of explanation while waiting for the Express Entry Decision? Also how much should be the proof of funds? (an approximate amount)

Thanks in advance

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
By doing this you are acknowledging that you will not work until you have received the COPR from express entry. Your best bet is to use the IRCC express entry estimate to see how may months you will be living in Canada without an income. Then YOU will have to establish how your savings (and other sources) will maintain your stay until COPR. No one can give you a definite amount you have to make an informed assumption and explain it in the status change application.