+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Student's spouse find work & lodge PR?

Haiderzaidi

Sep 12, 2014
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I recently came to know that, either of us (my wife or I) apply for student & other partner can find professional work & on the basis of Work / Job letter, we can lodge our Permanent Residency.

How true it is?
Does LIMA has any role to play?
Is finding professional job is that easy in CA?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
How true it is?
Completely true.
Does LIMA has any role to play?
It depends, but the spouse of a student is eligible for an open work permit so if everything goes smoothly, probably not.
Is finding professional job is that easy in CA?
Depends on the profession.

Haiderzaidi

Sep 12, 2014
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am an Accountant / Marketing Manager.

You reckon in both of these professions, it would be easy to find a job ?

Quite mixed responses I have got earlier.

One said: For FSW, if your partner wants to claim job offer points, an approved LMIA is needed from the employer.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Well, for FSW the work is generally not in Canada so an LMIA would obviously not be required. The only FSW qualified work in Canada that you can't claim as Canadian work experience is self employment (or low skilled work, which doesn't qualify for FSW either).
Your avatar indicates that you are in Quebec, which has a whole other set of rules (and in some cases disqualifies you from EE).

Haiderzaidi

Sep 12, 2014
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, so you mean.. whether being physically in CA makes no difference in pursuing PR.

I would still be the same process.. But from us, who ever wants to work, IF finds a professional work with LIMA approved will be advantage then.

You can disregard my avatar... this was from years back when i tried to apply for Quebec.. What is EE by the way?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"Ok, so you mean.. whether being physically in CA makes no difference in pursuing PR."
Not if you've already made an application or have already qualified for Canadian Experience Class. Otherwise, being in Canada offers a lot of advantages.

" IF finds a professional work with LIMA approved will be advantage then."
Yes, it potentially adds between 50 and 200 points to your Express Entry profile.

"What is EE by the way?"
Express Entry.