+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone help me with this?

ASRT

Jul 22, 2019
I don't know if this is the proper forum for my problem, but I'm out of ideas as to where to go for help.

I was born in Quebec 55 years ago, but family moved to Ontario when I was 6 months old. I don't know if my parents ever obtained my birth certificate to register me for school/government tax credits, etc., and I have never personally possessed a copy of my birth certificate or needed to until now. I have contacted myriad places...school boards, archives, townships, etc., to see if I could get copies of documents my parents used to register me for school, but I'm told those documents aren't retained. I have an Ontario social insurance number, driver's license, etc., but cannot find out what document I used to establish my identity/age. Somewhere, somehow, my parents must have had a birth certificate for me.

When I attempted to obtain my birth certificate from Quebec government, they stated that my parents did not register my birth and therefore, they could not provide me with a birth certificate. They said there was a record of a 'live birth' under my mother's name, the hospital I was born in, the date of my birth, etc., but, as their letter states, "birth not registered in the civil status register", so they would not issue me a birth certificate. From what I understand, even if my parents did have a birth certificate for me, I would still require a new one as it would have been issued prior to 1994.

Unfortunately, I have serious health issues and I NEED a birth certificate in order to renew my OHIP card. I have contacted the Ontario government, Legal Aid, Disability offices, et al, to seek help and I get plenty of 'try this' or 'try that', but this has been ongoing since February and I am no further ahead in resolving my problem. I have no idea what to do next or who to turn to for help. I have OHIP coverage until the end of August and then...I guess I better stay healthy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time & assistance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I don't know if this is the proper forum for my problem, but I'm out of ideas as to where to go for help.

I was born in Quebec 55 years ago, but family moved to Ontario when I was 6 months old. I don't know if my parents ever obtained my birth certificate to register me for school/government tax credits, etc., and I have never personally possessed a copy of my birth certificate or needed to until now. I have contacted myriad places...school boards, archives, townships, etc., to see if I could get copies of documents my parents used to register me for school, but I'm told those documents aren't retained. I have an Ontario social insurance number, driver's license, etc., but cannot find out what document I used to establish my identity/age. Somewhere, somehow, my parents must have had a birth certificate for me.

When I attempted to obtain my birth certificate from Quebec government, they stated that my parents did not register my birth and therefore, they could not provide me with a birth certificate. They said there was a record of a 'live birth' under my mother's name, the hospital I was born in, the date of my birth, etc., but, as their letter states, "birth not registered in the civil status register", so they would not issue me a birth certificate. From what I understand, even if my parents did have a birth certificate for me, I would still require a new one as it would have been issued prior to 1994.

Unfortunately, I have serious health issues and I NEED a birth certificate in order to renew my OHIP card. I have contacted the Ontario government, Legal Aid, Disability offices, et al, to seek help and I get plenty of 'try this' or 'try that', but this has been ongoing since February and I am no further ahead in resolving my problem. I have no idea what to do next or who to turn to for help. I have OHIP coverage until the end of August and then...I guess I better stay healthy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time & assistance.
Exactly WHY do you need a Birth Certificate, as opposed to any of the other items that show eligibility?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you been living in Ontario all your life except the first 6 minutes months?Have you had a Canadian passport since you were young?

Reactions: ASRT

ASRT

Jul 22, 2019
What document did you give when you originally got the OHIP card ? Since this sounds like a renewal .
This is a renewal. I don't know what document was used to obtain the original health card and I am having difficulty finding someone who can help me find that out.

ASRT

Jul 22, 2019
Have you been living in Ontario all your life except the first 6 minutes months?Have you had a Canadian passport since you were young?
Yes, I have only lived in Ontario since the age of six months. I've never had a Canadian passport.

ASRT

Jul 22, 2019

I just read this information regarding the various difficulties in obtaining Vital Statistics records from Quebec, so it's possible that THEY haven't properly documented my birth, more so than my parents didn't document my birth. But who knows.

http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette/gazxs/gazxs63.htm

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Reactions: ASRT

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
This is a renewal. I don't know what document was used to obtain the original health card and I am having difficulty finding someone who can help me find that out.
Your OHIP card isn’t one of the old version issued is it ? Like the Red/White ones ? It had no expiry date . I had one , and received a letter saying I had to update to the picture one or I’d be cut off . For the new one /renewal I had to show my birth certificate and or passport

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your OHIP card isn’t one of the old version issued is it ? Like the Red/White ones ? It had no expiry date . I had one , and received a letter saying I had to update to the picture one or I’d be cut off . For the new one /renewal I had to show my birth certificate and or passport
Was thinking the same thing. They finally got rid of them because they were a source of fraud. They kept postponing the deadline and allowed people to continue using them for 20 years.