+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PR (don't have PR card yet) return Canada using work Visa

JieYang

May 6, 2016
Hi, guys,

I become a PR on this March and I haven't received my PR card yet, but I need to go back to my country to handle some family things in a few days. Can I come back to Canada with my current valid work visa? The thing is when I did my landing at the CIC office, the officer did some marks on my work permit, I don't know if I can use my work permit or not.

Does anyone have similar experience? I appreciate any help and suggestions!
Thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Once you have landed as a PR but yet to receive your PR card you have 2 options 1)apply for a PRTD outside Canada 2)enter Canada via the US / Canada land border.

The issue being that without a PR card or PRTD as a PR you would not be able to board a plane back to Canada. As a PR your work permit no longer valid.

Reactions: JieYang

JieYang

May 6, 2016
Once you have landed as a PR but yet to receive your PR card you have 2 options 1)apply for a PRTD outside Canada 2)enter Canada via the US / Canada land border.

The issue being that without a PR card or PRTD as a PR you would not be able to board a plane back to Canada. As a PR your work permit no longer valid.
Hi, thanks so much for your reply.

My wife becomes PR with me. She now has valid study visa and study permit ( I don't know why, but the land officer didn't put a mark on her study permit). Does she need to apply the PRTD as well?

JieYang

May 6, 2016

Yes, the land officer put a mark on my work permit, but my work visa is still valid, if I am able to board a plane back to Canada, and I show both my work visa and PR confirmation to the border officer, will I be able to enter Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, the land officer put a mark on my work permit, but my work visa is still valid, if I am able to board a plane back to Canada, and I show both my work visa and PR confirmation to the border officer, will I be able to enter Canada?
It's getting on the aircraft that is the difficult part. Once you arrive in Canada, you only need to establish your identity as a PR to be allowed to enter.

A PR cannot hold a valid Canadian visa. Therefore, regardless of whether or not it was physically voided, it's still void. You may be able to "con" your way past the airline agent, or not, but you still need to officially be in possession of a valid PR card or a PRTD.

Reactions: Buletruck