+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PPR deadline be extended?

M

mikeymyke

If say for example, my wife and I plan to go on vacation in December, but then in November they send a passport request with 30 days to comply, is going on this vacation which we've planned for months beforehand, a good enough reason for CIC to extend the deadline? An alternative would be to cancel all our reservations and tickets, then mail her passport, which would cost us some $, but I guess it's better than having them cancel her PR for not complying with the 30 day deadline.

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
I haven't seen anyone post anything about successfully extending a deadline like that. If it were me I would drop everything rather than risk it.

If the deadline for sending your passport is 30 days, and you inquire via e-mail about an extension...even if they answer quickly...what is quickly for government? 1 week? 2 weeks? Then if they say no you have to get the passport to them in only half the time. That would be cutting it too close for me.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
mikeymyke said:
If say for example, my wife and I plan to go on vacation in December, but then in November they send a passport request with 30 days to comply, is going on this vacation which we've planned for months beforehand, a good enough reason for CIC to extend the deadline? An alternative would be to cancel all our reservations and tickets, then mail her passport, which would cost us some $, but I guess it's better than having them cancel her PR for not complying with the 30 day deadline.

Everybody that is applying to sponsor a partner has to put their lives on hold, its so difficult to be in this situation,
I don't know why you think that you are any better than the rest of applicants.... and why you believe that immigration
will tell you.. ok... go and when you comeback from your vacations send us the documents....

Why should everybody else comply except you ????

M

mikeymyke

agarand8 said:
I haven't seen anyone post anything about successfully extending a deadline like that. If it were me I would drop everything rather than risk it.

If the deadline for sending your passport is 30 days, and you inquire via e-mail about an extension...even if they answer quickly...what is quickly for government? 1 week? 2 weeks? Then if they say no you have to get the passport to them in only half the time. That would be cutting it too close for me.
I think maybe you are right, we will have to monitor the situation closely and hope luck is on our side.

M

mikeymyke

Awesomeg said:
Everybody that is applying to sponsor a partner has to put their lives on hold, its so difficult to be in this situation,
I don't know why you think that you are any better than the rest of applicants.... and why you believe that immigration
will tell you.. ok... go and when you comeback from your vacations send us the documents....

Why should everybody else comply except you ????
What??? Who said I was better? I'm doing what every good husband is supposed to do: visiting his wife often. Aside from trying to apply for a visitor visa in July, we are also planning on going to Europe in December for 3 weeks, and then return to her home country for a week. We don't even know if she will be approved for the Schengen visa, and our backup plan is to replace Europe with Philippines since she doesn't need a visa to go there.

Well I think given the risks, we will just plan for the trip anyway, and will cancel it if the PPR comes up.

Gumper

Jan 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2014
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Is it a hard & fast rule that PPR deadline is 30 days?

ariesking

Star Member
Apr 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
Jan-2014
AOR Received.
Nov-2013
File Transfer...
Nov-2013
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
June 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sept-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct-2014
LANDED..........
April- 2015
mikeymyke said:
What??? Who said I was better? I'm doing what every good husband is supposed to do: visiting his wife often. Aside from trying to apply for a visitor visa in July, we are also planning on going to Europe in December for 3 weeks, and then return to her home country for a week. We don't even know if she will be approved for the Schengen visa, and our backup plan is to replace Europe with Philippines since she doesn't need a visa to go there.

Well I think given the risks, we will just plan for the trip anyway, and will cancel it if the PPR comes up.
She will be refused right away for TRV for Canada because Visa officer will state that he/she is not satisfied that she will leave Canada after the visa expiry, because she has strong ties in Canada (her husband)

Secondly there is no such thing as Schengen Visa, you have to apply for visit visa to one of schengen countries and IF approved (there is a big IF because it is close to impossible to get visitor's visa for resident of some countries especially some underdeveloped unless you have a extensive travel history) you can travel in Schengen area with that visa, unless it states that the visa is only valid for specific country.

Hope this help you understand part of your question.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
PPR deadline can be extended. A few people on this forum were able to do so. But you will need a good reason. Best to contact CIC directly.

hanna747

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2013
AOR Received.
27-Nov-2013
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2013
Med's Request
remed: 18-Dec-2014
Med's Done....
14-Oct-2013
Interview........
17-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
18-Dec-2014
ariesking said:
She will be refused right away for TRV for Canada because Visa officer will state that he/she is not satisfied that she will leave Canada after the visa expiry, because she has strong ties in Canada (her husband)

Secondly there is no such thing as Schengen Visa, you have to apply for visit visa to one of schengen countries and IF approved (there is a big IF because it is close to impossible to get visitor's visa for resident of some countries especially some underdeveloped unless you have a extensive travel history) you can travel in Schengen area with that visa, unless it states that the visa is only valid for specific country.

My partner was granted TRV Last December and stayed here in Toronto for more than 1 month whiLe the sponsorship appLication is in process (we submitted November).. It is very obvious that my hubby's strongest tie in Canada is me but that is not the decisive factor. As Long as u can provide that your partner wouLd go back on or before the expiry date of TRV, everything is good. For the record, my partner is Living in the PhiLippines.

TorontoEH

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2014
AOR Received.
Mar 29, 2014
File Transfer...
Apr 16, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 7, 2014
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that CIC would accommodate something like this. The Canadian government has expressed that they not only want to make the process more efficient but also provide for a better experience to the applicants. Obviously policies are put in place as a means to communicate a standard set of expectations and a framework to work within. This doesn't mean that they are not flexible. Success may be limited but it is worth trying to see how you should proceed in the event of PR being granted while you are on holiday. Maybe send a case specific inquiry now and ask what you should do.

I don't think the attitude of same applies to all is a fair mindset to have, everyone has different life events and restrictions based on many factors, I can only assume that the 30 day rule was put in place to make it easier for applicants to work around the process, CIC knowing full well that people have lives and need to make arrangements. In the event that they didn't consider the applicants, they could have just as well made the time frame 5 days as it only takes 2-3 days to courier something anywhere in the world.

I suggest you ask, you don't get anything if you don't ask.

M

mikeymyke

ariesking said:

I know about the strong family tie being myself, but her entire family is back home. Her parents, her brother, sisters, relatives, cousins, everyone is back home. She does not have a single relative living in Canada. This is the best possible "family tie" situation for a married couple, because the Canadian sponsor is the only one in Canada. Sometimes the applicant also has relatives in Canada, and that would make them even more likely to be refused.

Also, I forgot to mention, she has a pretty good travel history (at least better than most people from developing countries), she lived in USA for a year under a student visa, went to Singapore twice, went to China, Thailand, and Malaysia. Just the student visa to go USA alone is pretty good already, not many people from developing countries can get that, much less a visitor visa, because they have to demonstrate they can afford the higher tuition and living costs without working, but her parents are very well off and they helped her with that.

Honestly, I feel very confident she will be approved for the visa to go Europe (at least more confident than getting a Canadian TRV). Reasons are that she will indicate to them that she will be travelling with me, a Canadian citizen. She will show them our marriage certificate and our pending PR application (which shows she has intention of living in Canada, not in Europe). I have lots of funds, as will her, at the time we plan on submitting the application in September. Both of us have jobs (she earns 5x the average Vietnamese salary). We are only staying there 3 weeks, 1.5 of those weeks we will be living with our friend who will let us live with him RENT FREE. This French friend btw, was one of the 6 men we chose to be involved in exchanging of gifts ceremony and street procession at our wedding, so he's not some random stranger, so we will show pics of him and us at the wedding and hanging out in general in Vietnam. And of course, we will be showing them my wife's travel history, and we've made very detail plans on which cities we're going, which hotels, how we will go from city to city, what landmarks we're going to see, etc. It's a very detailed plan. I've talked with many Vietnamese online and they indicated that Vietnamese have an easier time getting a visa from France, and it turns out France is our main destination, so we will see.

For the visitor visa Canada, I even made a detailed plan of what we're going to do when she's here, not just a general "She's here to visit me", and she's only going to stay here 3 weeks. Of course, I highly expect them to refuse it just simply because of the country she's from, but its fine with us either way. If she does get approved for the TRV somehow, that would make her chances of going to Europe even better.

M

mikeymyke

So the common reasons for TRV refusal, I've outlined the things we're doing to address each one:

-Purpose of visit: To not only visit me and my family, but we are planning on taking a couple weekend trips together with my family, as well as visit Vancouver on one of the weekends, already provided detailed plans of the dates we are going to each event, the names of the hotels we will stay, the name of places we will go, amount of money we will spend, itinerary of me entering Vancouver to meet her to start our trip, etc.

-Travel history: Student visa to USA, lived in USA for a year, went to Singapore x2, China, Thailand, Malaysia, all within the past 5 years

-Family ties: Not much I can do because I'm the strongest tie in Canada, but having her entire family and relatives back home is about as good as a married couple can get for family ties. Don't know if this means much, but we will also indicate to them that my wife's family ties are strong because her entire family is back home, and she's lived in her family's home for her entire life, never even moved in Vietnam, so she has every reason to go back.

-Employment: Makes 5x the average Vietnamese salary, will submit all proof of employment and income received. She's doing very well financially.

-Assets + funds: Does not own property or a business, but will have over $5000 by the time we apply, which should be plenty good for just 3 weeks. Also I will have over $7000 in my account and will show that to them.

-Misc info: Will indicate in a cover letter, that I've visited my wife several times, for 2 months each time, so this time, we would like for my wife to visit me for once. Will indicate that we will purchase return tickets + insurance. Will indicate that I will take care of all expenses, transportation, etc, not a single dollar from her funds will likely be used since I'm paying for everything. She will not seek work and will leave after 3 weeks, even if granted an extension. Will show detailed plans on travelling to Europe to show she's not intending to overstay.

I dont know, I think the only downsides to her background is being married to me and she doesn't own property, but aside from that, I think her background is at least way better than most applicants from developing countries.

Simplesim

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
keesio said:
PPR deadline can be extended. A few people on this forum were able to do so. But you will need a good reason. Best to contact CIC directly.
I have added my spouse...we received PPR on friday 3rd Feb ..after 10 months waiting time..!! Thanks a lot for your advice..! Now we wanted to know...My medical expiry is on 10th March..and my employer notice period is 2 months...and I have not yet resigned from current organization...However, considering the medical expiry date...visa stamping date would be 10th march 2017..So I would like to know...is there any way out wherein we can put CIC to extend the timeline ..!! or is there any way out other than Soft landing..
We have not submitted our Passport yet at VFS..
Awaiting for your speedy reply..!! Thanks in advance..