+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife apply for the BOWP as an accompanying spouse in a PR application? (PLEASE HELP!)

abhishekex983

Jan 2, 2019
Can my wife apply for the bridging open work permit as an accompanying spouse in a PR application? She is here with me in Ontario, Canada on an SOWP visa. We applied for the PR today with her being the accompanying spouse.

As a primary applicant, I can apply for the BOWP as the AOR is in my name. But what about my wife?

It's so confusing. I thought we could apply together under my BOWP application, but I read on the IRCC website only the primary applicant is eligible for the BOWP. I am worried that both of us will get rejected for the BOWP.

Should she apply for an open work permit separately using my AOR?

FYI : Both our work permits are going to expire next month (Feb 8th 2024)

PR9113

Dec 8, 2023
Hi Abhishek, I am in the same situation, could you tell me did you applied together or separately, I see a question that do you accompany a family member i said "Yes", and it shows IMM5710 to be filled by both principal applicant and spouse.

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

You can apply for an open work permit if you’re one of the following:

• a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner living in Canada who’s being sponsored for permanent residence
  • an accompanying dependent child of the principal applicant

Principal permanent residence applicants
When you apply for your open work permit, you must also be

• included in an application for permanent residence