+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my PR Card be mailed outside Canada?

sanchalanam

Jun 4, 2009
Hello,
I did some research on the web and also searched this forum for answers. But so far I couldn't find much information. So posting it here for some help.

Currently I am living in USA and I will be landing in Canada on 10th of this month to complete landing formalities and to apply for PR Card. I will be giving my relatives address as my current address to send my PR Card. However, I will be returning back to USA the next day as I have my job and family here. My intention is to move to Canada for good sometime early next year after making living and job arrangements in Canada. As it will take sometime (at least a month) to receive my PR Card I will not be in Canada to receive it by then, my relatives will receive it. I am planning to request them(relatives) to send it to my address in USA by mail. However, I am not sure if a PR Card can me mailed to a different country? is it legal (or illegal) to mail PR Card outside Canada by mail? Also is there an alternate option to receive my PR card outside Canada?

Thanks,
Sanchi

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sanchalanam said:
Hello,
I did some research on the web and also searched this forum for answers. But so far I couldn't find much information. So posting it here for some help.

Currently I am living in USA and I will be landing in Canada on 10th of this month to complete landing formalities and to apply for PR Card. I will be giving my relatives address as my current address to send my PR Card. However, I will be returning back to USA the next day as I have my job and family here. My intention is to move to Canada for good sometime early next year after making living and job arrangements in Canada. As it will take sometime (at least a month) to receive my PR Card I will not be in Canada to receive it by then, my relatives will receive it. I am planning to request them(relatives) to send it to my address in USA by mail. However, I am not sure if a PR Card can me mailed to a different country? is it legal (or illegal) to mail PR Card outside Canada by mail? Also is there an alternate option to receive my PR card outside Canada?

Thanks,
Sanchi
It is legal to have your relatives courier the PR card.

PMM

sanchalanam

Jun 4, 2009
PMM, Thank you for the info. I am just wondering if I can find this info on any Canadian official website. If possible I would like to provide some evidence to my relative to be comfortable to email it to me. Thanks for your help.

~Sanchi

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sanchalanam said:
PMM, Thank you for the info. I am just wondering if I can find this info on any Canadian official website. If possible I would like to provide some evidence to my relative to be comfortable to email it to me. Thanks for your help.

~Sanchi
Well it will pretty impossible for the relative to email the card. There is nothing in the Immigration Act/Regulations prohibiting the mailing of the card. In law if something is not specifically forbidden, then it is not illegal.

PMM

sanchalanam

Jun 4, 2009
PMM,
Ooops I was very curious and eager to get some info and didn't notice what I was typing. Thanks for your reply.