+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my parents on supervisa buy one way ticket?

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
I suggested buying return tickets with a return date of one year (the maximum that airlines will allow) and then cancelling the return tickets if they are allowed to stay for up to 2 years.

Recent Port of Examination changes state that unless specifically written and also only for the initial visit, no passport stamp means the allowed stay is for 6 months even for super visa visitors. Basically, a stay of up to 2 years is not an assurance for super visa holders

Hi Bryanna,
I happened to follow through the information and @ below
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/examination-admission-port-entry.html

It appears IRCC has updated the content slightly now under "Length of admissions"
It says

Note: In general, stamps issued by CBSA officers at the POE are valid for a period of six months from the date of entry.

If a handwritten date has been placed under the stamp, the period of authorized stay expires on that date.

For parents and grandparents who possess the super visa temporary resident visa or letter of introduction, a stamp in their passport with no handwritten date means the period of authorized stay is two years.

Learn more about duration of visits.

___________________________-

I read on this forum for the same link the content used to read like below,

Note: In general, stamps issued by CBSA officers at the POE are valid for a period of 6 months from the date of entry.

If a handwritten date has been placed under the stamp, the period of authorized stay expires on that date.

For example, for parents and grandparents who possess the super visa temporary resident visa or letter, CBSA officers will handwrite a date that is 2 years from the date of entry on their initial visit only.

Looking for your feedback please......

Thank you

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Bryanna,
I happened to follow through the information and @ below
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/examination-admission-port-entry.html

It appears IRCC has updated the content slightly now under "Length of admissions"
It says

Note: In general, stamps issued by CBSA officers at the POE are valid for a period of six months from the date of entry.

For parents and grandparents who possess the super visa temporary resident visa or letter of introduction, a stamp in their passport with no handwritten date means the period of authorized stay is two years.

___________________________-

I read on this forum for the same link the content used to read like below,

Note: In general, stamps issued by CBSA officers at the POE are valid for a period of 6 months from the date of entry.

For example, for parents and grandparents who possess the super visa temporary resident visa or letter, CBSA officers will handwrite a date that is 2 years from the date of entry on their initial visit only.

Looking for your feedback please......

Thank you
There is some discrepancy on the IRCC website for this matter. Hence the reason why I had suggested sending an email to your parents' local visa office for clarifications before you buy their tickets.

I was referring to this link. The interpretation is different from what you've posted:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2018-temporary-port.html

From the link:
For example, for parents and grandparents who possess the super visa temporary resident visa or letter, CBSA officers will handwrite a date that is 2 years from the date of entry on their initial visit only

May 30, 2018
We have a similar situation. Mother is arriving tomorrow with a 1-way ticket because we couldn’t get a return ticket a year from today. The latest return ticket we could buy is July 12, 2019 and we’d like her to stay until Sep,2019. We are keeping our fingers crossed that she won’t have any problems entering the country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We have a similar situation. Mother is arriving tomorrow with a 1-way ticket because we couldn’t get a return ticket a year from today. The latest return ticket we could buy is July 12, 2019 and we’d like her to stay until Sep,2019. We are keeping our fingers crossed that she won’t have any problems entering the country.
It's fine to travel on a one way ticket if you hold a super visa.

May 30, 2018
It's fine to travel on a one way ticket if you hold a super visa.
Thank you for your reply. It was reassuring. My mother arrived with no problems in Canada, she was asked how long she intends to stay to which she replied 2 years, the maximum her super visa would allow. The officer asked for her travel insurance (it was for 1 year) and she was approved and stamped with a “2 years” written and circled by the officer.

However, she was held and questioned at the country of origin (Philippines) why she didn’t have a return ticket, the people there tried to make her buy a return ticket. But that’s a different story. We’re happy she’s here.

robertramos80

May 17, 2013
Hi there,
Is there any one who know where can I get flight reservations to be use for applying my parent super visa? Please help me