+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my parents on supervisa buy one way ticket?

xenon

Jul 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
technically you can stay in canada for 2 years at a time with a super visa. Aren't tickets only issued for 1 year? So, if parents want to return back in 2 years, then can they not get a one way ticket?

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Rossei said:
I want to revive this topic as I'm in the similar situation. My mom is planning to fly to Canada from Bangladesh next month on Super Visa for maximum duration. Note that, she came here first time back in 2012 on same visa only for 3 months. And her visa is still valid till Jan, 2017.

Now, travel agencies/ airlines in Bangladesh won't sell one-way tickets to any one with non-immigrant visas. I don't find it suitable to buy a return ticket when I don't know exactly when she will return. It will be minimum for at least 1 year. Also financially, I cannot justify it as everyone here is saying.

For example, a Turkish flight will cost the following:

- USD $1800 (for an economy round trip from Dhaka, Bangladesh to Toronto, Canada starting on Oct, 2014 and returning on Sep, 2015 with penalty of $$$ for cancellation/refund; I'm guessing it will be at least $200 and whatever partial refund - no idea)
- USD $1000 (each one way trip for either Dhaka - Toronto or Toronto - Dhaka on any time for next 1 year)

So, I can pay 2 x $1000 = $2000 for 2 one-way tickets whenever necessary. Or, if I must buy return; it will cost me an extra $500 ($1800 + $200 penalty - $500 rough estimate of partial refund).

Anyone has any idea how to proceed with buying one-way ticket? Will there be problem at POE for having one-way ticket even for Super Visa? Has anyone else faced similar difficulties and overcame them?
Maybe a return flight quote can help?! Your mom can show that to officer if he fusses to much and say she will exit within 6 months if he is only giving it for 6 months for example. This is the same as what is submitted during application process. In the meanwhile, maybe a small letter can explain the situation if your mom can't speak English.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rossei said:
Anyone has any idea how to proceed with buying one-way ticket? Will there be problem at POE for having one-way ticket even for Super Visa? Has anyone else faced similar difficulties and overcame them?
Can't you buy the oneway ticket in Canada? Also, I know that one can always change scheduled flights in Air Canada for a fee.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
torontob said:
Maybe a return flight quote can help?! Your mom can show that to officer if he fusses to much and say she will exit within 6 months if he is only giving it for 6 months for example. This is the same as what is submitted during application process. In the meanwhile, maybe a small letter can explain the situation if your mom can't speak English.
Yes, I've planned to write a letter asking for 2-year stay permit. I've also read online that a CBSA officer couldn't access the parent's medial file upon landing and hence, he gave only 6-month stay. This worries me.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
steaky said:
Can't you buy the oneway ticket in Canada? Also, I know that one can always change scheduled flights in Air Canada for a fee.
Yes, I can. But I'm afraid it may cause problems for my mother during embarkation (at check-in/ immigration). What I've seen/heard, the Immigration Officers in Bangladesh airport only want to see if you're PR or not when you're travelling to Canada. If you are non-PR; they may will even want to see air-tickets.

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Rossei said:
Yes, I can. But I'm afraid it may cause problems for my mother during embarkation (at check-in/ immigration). What I've seen/heard, the Immigration Officers in Bangladesh airport only want to see if you're PR or not when you're travelling to Canada. If you are non-PR; they may will even want to see air-tickets.
That's stupid of the customs officer in Bangladesh to do (not to say they might not do it in other countries), however, custom officers usually don't care about this stuff. It's the flight supervisor who checks this type of thing because they will be on the hook for refugees (I think about $100k fine per passenger if proved to have flown by their airline).

Where did you hear that the CBSA officer doesn't have access to medical file? I doubt that would be a reason for them to deny stay more than 6 months but YES there is a disconnect and I have seen people with PR paperwork missing (this was back in 2000's (maybe different now).

I think a letter stating why it's a one way ticket and how airliners do NOT provide ticket valid more than a year should suffice to any sane officer but I think you also like to make sure you get the 2-year maximum stay by enforcing this - which is absolutely your right. Keeping all these open-ends makes Super Visa more of an unattractive avenue for everyone.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
torontob said:
That's stupid of the customs officer in Bangladesh to do (not to say they might not do it in other countries), however, custom officers usually don't care about this stuff. It's the flight supervisor who checks this type of thing because they will be on the hook for refugees (I think about $100k fine per passenger if proved to have flown by their airline).
Well, lot of them are certainly. "Passport Control/ Immigration" normally don't check tickets. Once I was coming back from BD to Canada after my semester break ended and I was held by one of the officers asking me "Where is your PR card?". I replied that I was a student and going back to continue. Then I was asked to show proof. Well, I had my student visa and permit both attached on my passport. So, I had to explain to him how it works for an international student in Canada.

Where did you hear that the CBSA officer doesn't have access to medical file? I doubt that would be a reason for them to deny stay more than 6 months but YES there is a disconnect and I have seen people with PR paperwork missing (this was back in 2000's (maybe different now).
Read the second para of "Errorless process?". Link: http://canadianimmigrant.ca/news-and-views/popular-supervisa-gets-mixed-reviews-from-applicants

I think a letter stating why it's a one way ticket and how airliners do NOT provide ticket valid more than a year should suffice to any sane officer but I think you also like to make sure you get the 2-year maximum stay by enforcing this - which is absolutely your right. Keeping all these open-ends makes Super Visa more of an unattractive avenue for everyone.
Well, since one-way ticket can create problems either/both at Dhaka/Toronto airports; I'm thinking to buy with return. My mom cannot speak English and I don't want to make her uncomfortable while she flies alone. And yes, I will give her a letter along with medical insurance asking the CBSA to permit her stay for 2 years. My wife's pregnant and that should provide a valid reason I hope.

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Rossei said:
Well, lot of them are certainly. "Passport Control/ Immigration" normally don't check tickets. Once I was coming back from BD to Canada after my semester break ended and I was held by one of the officers asking me "Where is your PR card?". I replied that I was a student and going back to continue. Then I was asked to show proof. Well, I had my student visa and permit both attached on my passport. So, I had to explain to him how it works for an international student in Canada.
Read the second para of "Errorless process?". Link: canadianimmigrant.ca/news-and-views/popular-supervisa-gets-mixed-reviews-from-applicants
Well, since one-way ticket can create problems either/both at Dhaka/Toronto airports; I'm thinking to buy with return. My mom cannot speak English and I don't want to make her uncomfortable while she flies alone. And yes, I will give her a letter along with medical insurance asking the CBSA to permit her stay for 2 years. My wife's pregnant and that should provide a valid reason I hope.
1- Some officer act dumb just to get you talking. They ask simple questions to see if you will stutter or to establish you know all about your visa and why you are there OR that you are the same person who the visa was issued to. They see many thousands of these Visa so I don't think they don't know what is presented to them.

2- Yeah, I have read that. Maybe for that matter one should keep a copy of their medical results with them. Isn't that provided by the clinic if asked?

3- It's a shame that the process is not clear.

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
Hello Members,

Looking for same information please. Is buying one-way ticket fine while arriving on Supervisa(with duration of a year or more?) ?

Would be great if you share your experiences please.

Thank you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello Members,

Looking for same information please. Is buying one-way ticket fine while arriving on Supervisa(with duration of a year or more?) ?

Would be great if you share your experiences please.

Thank you.
Is this their first entry on their super visas?

I recommend buying return tickets that can be cancelled. Based on recent Port of Entry examination changes, it may/may not be possible to be allowed to stay for up to 2 years especially if it is not the initial visit. You would want to email IRCC (not the call centre agents) to confirm this point before buying tickets

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
Is this their first entry on their super visas?

I recommend buying return tickets that can be cancelled. Based on recent Port of Entry examination changes, it may/may not be possible to be allowed to stay for up to 2 years especially if it is not the initial visit. You would want to email IRCC (not the call centre agents) to confirm this point before buying tickets
Yes, this is their first visit on Supervisa. They travelled on Visit visa already.

The problem for arranging a return ticket is that, planned travel is a year long and can be of 1.5 years also in my parents scenario and no airlines seem to be allowing reservations so much far in future.

are you suggesting buy a return ticket considering a shorter duration say 8/10 months? Would not that be counter-productive, that the Immigration offer will count that as trip-end and may mark an Exit Date matching the date of return travel?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The problem for arranging a return ticket is that, planned travel is a year long and can be of 1.5 years also and no airlines seem to be allowing reservations so much far in future.
I suggested buying return tickets with a return date of one year (the maximum that airlines will allow) and then cancelling the return tickets if they are allowed to stay for up to 2 years.

are you suggesting buy a return ticket considering a shorter duration say 8/10 months? Would not that be counter-productive, that the Immigration offer will count that as trip-end and may mark an Exit Date matching the date of return travel?
Recent Port of Examination changes state that unless specifically written and also only for the initial visit, no passport stamp means the allowed stay is for 6 months even for super visa visitors. Basically, a stay of up to 2 years is not an assurance for super visa holders

Reactions: dadbangalore

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
I suggested buying return tickets with a return date of one year (the maximum that airlines will allow) and then cancelling the return tickets if they are allowed to stay for up to 2 years.

Recent Port of Examination changes state that unless specifically written and also only for the initial visit, no passport stamp means the allowed stay is for 6 months even for super visa visitors. Basically, a stay of up to 2 years is not an assurance for super visa holders
Thank you for this info. I shall follow.