+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I withdraw pgwp extension application after applying for PR?

Klopo

Jul 16, 2020
I applied for PR under Express entry but before that on may I applied for a pgwp extension but the application is still not being processed. I would like to know if i can withdraw the pgwp application and get a refund?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can withdraw your application and may be able to get at least the $100 open work permit fee back. When you say PGWP extension, did you apply because of passport expiry or did you actually apply for a bridging work permit instead? PGWPs normally cannot be extended.

Klopo

Jul 16, 2020
You can withdraw your application and may be able to get at least the $100 open work permit fee back. When you say PGWP extension, did you apply because of passport expiry or did you actually apply for a bridging work permit instead? PGWPs normally cannot be extended.
because of passport expiry

Klopo

Jul 16, 2020
my current PGWP is valid until feb 2021. PR processing takes more time than usual can i keep my PGWP extension just in case my PR application is refused or takes longer? also now that I applied for PR do i have to apply for a bridge work permit or my initial pgwp is enough?

Thank you

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Since PGWP extensions due to passport expiry have to be filed on paper, it may be faster to use your AOR from your PR application to apply for a bridging work permit online next month (when you're within 4 months of your PGWP expiring). However, if you are okay with simply being on implied status (i.e. you do not plan to travel outside Canada and your employer doesn't mind), then I suppose it doesn't matter if you already have your PGWP extension application in.