+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use health insurance card that I cannot use but not expired as second piece of ID?

Rohnho

Nov 26, 2023
Hi!

Can I use health insurance card that I cannot use but not expired as second piece of ID?
I moved to Quebec from Ontario and I received my first health insurance from Quebec(No photo).
So I cannot use card from Ontario anymore but it will expire in 2026.

Will it work with passport and OHIP for citizenship application?

Because I'm still confusing with ID card with photo.
Some people say both ID need photo but other say we just need one ID card with photo.

Thanks and bless you people!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi!

I moved to Quebec from Ontario and I received my first health insurance from Quebec(No photo).

Some people say both ID need photo but other say we just need one ID card with photo.

Thanks and bless you people!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html#step1

Two pieces of valid identification are required to establish your identity. Both documents must show your name and date of birth. One must have your photo on it.

Better to use your passport and Quebec one

Rohnho

Nov 26, 2023
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html#step1

Two pieces of valid identification are required to establish your identity. Both documents must show your name and date of birth. One must have your photo on it.

Better to use your passport and Quebec one
I'm wondering if it's only for paper applicants.
And also that's updated in 2017 so if it's still the same?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

Rohnho

Nov 26, 2023

Rohnho

Nov 26, 2023
Why you don't use your PR card then?
So I only can do (Passport/health insurance card) or (PR/health insurance card).
Apparently I can't use 1. Passport and 2. PR.

Of course my passport and PR have photo on it. But I'm curious if it's ok to use without photo for health insurance card.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi! I just moved from Ontario to Quebec and just applied RAMQ(Quebec health insurance card).
Apparently I will get a health insurance card with only number but no photo and no signature and I can apply the one with photo after one year.

Can I use my passport and health insurance card for 2 pieces of ID?

I'm wondering if it has to be photo ID card or doesn't have to be. And I don't have a driving license.
My understanding is that ONE of the pieces of identification, not both, needs to have the applicant's photo.

A copy of the applicant's PR card should suffice as one item of identification as long as the other identification submitted was issued by a Canadian government, either federal or provincial. So, for example, PR card plus passport (non-Canadian of course) will NOT work.

In contrast, PR card (which has photo) submitted with a health card (issued by Canadian provincial government, but no photo) should work; moreover, you are also submitting a copy of the passport anyway, so that is there in the application package for easy cross-checking to verify identity.

Note: generally better to keep related queries in a single topic. Makes it much easier to understand the questions and relevant factors.

In conjunction with identification that does have your photo (PR card or passport), a currently valid provincial health card showing name and date of birth should suffice as one of the pieces of identification, even though it does not have your photo.

Observations Addressing Question About Submitting Invalid Document (as in a NO longer valid OHIP card):

If the move from Ontario was very recent, it might be tempting to submit the OHIP card as identification. Since IRCC does not play gotcha games, odds are probably good this would not result in a serious issue. It might even work. This being the sort of thing it is easy to imagine some do. And the sort of thing that even total stranger bureaucrats might fully understand and be OK with. Maybe.

BUT think this through. You are asking if you can submit, as proof of your identity, an INVALID document issued by a province where you do NOT reside. Does that really seem like a good idea?

That said, again, it might work. But then the question remains whether you SHOULD do this.

It is the "should-you" question that looms large. As noted, this might work. It might be OK, as in it might slide by. But just on its face it risks triggering questions, triggering non-routine processing.

Completeness Screening: I cannot say whether the discrepancy between where you actually live versus presenting a form of identification from another province will be noticed during the completeness screening, and if so whether that will result in the application being returned as incomplete. Odds are probably good it will pass the completeness screening.

Qualification-Verification Processing: But that discrepancy (which makes it clear, on the face of things, the OHIP card is NOT valid, cannot be valid since you do not reside in Ontario, a fundamental requirement for OHIP coverage) will most likely (albeit not for sure) be noticed during the process in which IRCC officials are checking, cross-checking, and verifying the applicant's information. It is possible the responsible processing agent, and then the deciding Citizenship Officer, will shrug, understand the situation, and not have a problem, not make an issue of the fact that one of the forms of identification submitted was NOT valid when submitted. But there is a risk otherwise. Just submitting a government document suggests it is being presented, submitted, as a valid document (UNLESS it is clearly indicated otherwise, like submitting a copy of an expired passport if it could have been used within the previous five years).

OHIP Card Validity/Invalidity: The OHIP card ONLY APPEARS to be valid, given a future expiration date. But, first, it is not a valid document, which you know because you know you are no longer a resident of Ontario and that is a requirement for OHIP coverage. Moreover, as soon as a processing agent compares the OHIP card with your other information, showing you to reside in a different province, that discrepancy alone is the sort of thing that tends to invite questions, reason to check further, which in itself is not a problem for the otherwise fully qualified applicant EXCEPT it increases the risk of elevated scrutiny leading to non-routine processing involving extra investigatory background checking, meaning delays in the processing timeline, and an increased risk of RQ-related requests, which are a significant inconvenience and result in significant delays in processing timelines.

As I noted, it is possible, maybe even probable, that any IRCC official looking at this will get it, will understand, and the more recent the move was (which should be readily seen in your address history) the more likely this will not trigger anything more serious than being asked some additional, clarifying questions during an interview. But there is a risk, especially if there is anything else that at all tickles any suspicion sensors. Again, you are asking if it is OK to submit an invalid document, obviously so when compared to where you CLAIM to reside (everything an applicant submits is what they claim until it is verified).

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
My understanding is that ONE of the pieces of identification, not both, needs to have the applicant's photo.

A copy of the applicant's PR card should suffice as one item of identification as long as the other identification submitted was issued by a Canadian government, either federal or provincial. So, for example, PR card plus passport (non-Canadian of course) will NOT work.

In contrast, PR card (which has photo) submitted with a health card (issued by Canadian provincial government, but no photo) should work; moreover, you are also submitting a copy of the passport anyway, so that is there in the application package for easy cross-checking to verify identity.

Note: generally better to keep related queries in a single topic. Makes it much easier to understand the questions and relevant factors.

In conjunction with identification that does have your photo (PR card or passport), a currently valid provincial health card showing name and date of birth should suffice as one of the pieces of identification, even though it does not have your photo.

Observations Addressing Question About Submitting Invalid Document (as in a NO longer valid OHIP card):

If the move from Ontario was very recent, it might be tempting to submit the OHIP card as identification. Since IRCC does not play gotcha games, odds are probably good this would not result in a serious issue. It might even work. This being the sort of thing it is easy to imagine some do. And the sort of thing that even total stranger bureaucrats might fully understand and be OK with. Maybe.

BUT think this through. You are asking if you can submit, as proof of your identity, an INVALID document issued by a province where you do NOT reside. Does that really seem like a good idea?

That said, again, it might work. But then the question remains whether you SHOULD do this.

It is the "should-you" question that looms large. As noted, this might work. It might be OK, as in it might slide by. But just on its face it risks triggering questions, triggering non-routine processing.

Completeness Screening: I cannot say whether the discrepancy between where you actually live versus presenting a form of identification from another province will be noticed during the completeness screening, and if so whether that will result in the application being returned as incomplete. Odds are probably good it will pass the completeness screening.

Qualification-Verification Processing: But that discrepancy (which makes it clear, on the face of things, the OHIP card is NOT valid, cannot be valid since you do not reside in Ontario, a fundamental requirement for OHIP coverage) will most likely (albeit not for sure) be noticed during the process in which IRCC officials are checking, cross-checking, and verifying the applicant's information. It is possible the responsible processing agent, and then the deciding Citizenship Officer, will shrug, understand the situation, and not have a problem, not make an issue of the fact that one of the forms of identification submitted was NOT valid when submitted. But there is a risk otherwise. Just submitting a government document suggests it is being presented, submitted, as a valid document (UNLESS it is clearly indicated otherwise, like submitting a copy of an expired passport if it could have been used within the previous five years).

OHIP Card Validity/Invalidity: The OHIP card ONLY APPEARS to be valid, given a future expiration date. But, first, it is not a valid document, which you know because you know you are no longer a resident of Ontario and that is a requirement for OHIP coverage. Moreover, as soon as a processing agent compares the OHIP card with your other information, showing you to reside in a different province, that discrepancy alone is the sort of thing that tends to invite questions, reason to check further, which in itself is not a problem for the otherwise fully qualified applicant EXCEPT it increases the risk of elevated scrutiny leading to non-routine processing involving extra investigatory background checking, meaning delays in the processing timeline, and an increased risk of RQ-related requests, which are a significant inconvenience and result in significant delays in processing timelines.

As I noted, it is possible, maybe even probable, that any IRCC official looking at this will get it, will understand, and the more recent the move was (which should be readily seen in your address history) the more likely this will not trigger anything more serious than being asked some additional, clarifying questions during an interview. But there is a risk, especially if there is anything else that at all tickles any suspicion sensors. Again, you are asking if it is OK to submit an invalid document, obviously so when compared to where you CLAIM to reside (everything an applicant submits is what they claim until it is verified).
Sometimes people temporarily move to another province for work or school while remaining a resident of province they came from. For example, just because your address is in Sasketchewan, doesn't mean your Nova Scotia ID is invalid. And even if your health coverage in your original province is cancelled, doesn't mean the document no longer identifies you as you. The point of IRCC checking ID is to make sure they are dealing with the right person, not to check your health care coverage.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The point of IRCC checking ID is to make sure they are dealing with the right person, not to check your health care coverage.
Primarily, true. But not entirely. Far, far from it.

The main tool IRCC still employs when processing applications is a thorough check and cross-check of what the applicant submits. IRCC compares and contrasts everything, looking for discrepancies, inconsistencies, or incongruities. An identification that appears incongruous (let alone overtly inconsistent) with the applicant's other information, including address, will increase the risk of additional screening and non-routine processing. IRCC will, for example, compare an applicant's signature on IDs, and also compare that with the applicant's signature on the application.

In particular, while the leaked copy of the File Requirements Checklist (FRC), the one made accessible in this and other forums, is dated, and it is not clear how the particular triage criteria are employed in practice now, the triage criteria in relationship to documents, for deciding when to issue a Residence Questionnaire to a citizenship applicant, include the following:

C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of application.
C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.

It is not for certain these are still part of the triage criteria / risk indicators in the FRC. But it is highly likely that at the least C2, "Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form," is still part of the triage criteria, that is the "risk indicators" listed in the FRC. It warrants noting that for a period of time, during an especially strict scrutiny period, either C1 or C2 automatically triggered a Residence Questionnaire. It is not likely either is so strictly applied these days, but again at the least C2 is almost certainly considered a risk indicator still.

Note: The FRC and its contents, including the triage criteria, are strictly confidential, so it is very difficult to get updates on changes to it. But of course what raises questions or suspicions mostly does not change, and while the format is different, in substance the FRC triage criteria is largely consistent with the previously used Operational Manual CP 5 "Risk Indicators," things which indicated "further inquiry into declared residence may be required." (Although the CP criteria were more extensive, including things like "the area code for a person's employment is different from their home area code.")

Leading to . . .

What works is not always what works best or even what works well.

Most of my previous post was aimed at what is likely to work better. Including the observations about not submitting, as an official document, a document that is NOT valid. (Here too, the previously used risk indicators in screening applicants was more extensive than the FRC triage criteria that replaced the CP 5 criteria; CP 5 specifically included "Provincial healthcare card is expired" as a risk indicator.)

Most Canadians (Canadian PRs) applying for Canadian citizenship hope to make an application that not only results in them taking the oath of citizenship, but they also hope that the process goes smoothly, without the inconvenience of non-routine processing like getting a Residence Questionnaire, or otherwise being subject to extended RQ-related inquiries or investigations.

There are, in particular, some common circumstances that increase the risk of non-routine processing that do not mean citizenship will not be granted, but which can make a big difference in how long it takes and whether the applicant encounters inconvenient non-routine processing along the way. There is no way to guarantee an application will sail through without encountering non-routine processing. But there are some simple ways to reduce the risks. And things that will increase the risk.

For example: Applying with a good margin over the minimum physical presence reduces the risk of RQ. Exactly 1095 days actual physical presence gets an applicant to the oath. BUT waiting to apply with 1130 or so days presence reduces the risk of RQ-related delays.

For another example: Moving outside Canada soon after making a citizenship application does not affect the PR's eligibility for citizenship but increases the risk of non-routine processing and delays in taking the oath.

Meanwhile, otherwise, real life can get complicated, and sometimes real complicated. Sometimes circumstances can be confusing or even misleading. And what appears incongruous, or even inconsistent, can trigger questions, concerns, increased risk of elevated scrutiny, non-routine processing, and delays, sometimes very long delays.

The prudent prospective applicant will, first, wait to apply when they have a sufficient margin over the minimum presence that will assure any total stranger bureaucrat that any oddities or incongruities in the applicant's situation will not affect their meeting the qualifying requirements. And secondly, carefully review all the information and documents, and if there are any incongruities, let alone inconsistencies, sort things out as best they can, truthfully of course, and if there are still some thorns, so to say, to provide supplemental information, and explanation, with the application.

Clue: Not a good idea to submit an invalid document as official identification, at least not if other identification is available.

Sometimes people temporarily move to another province for work or school while remaining a resident of province they came from. For example, just because your address is in Sasketchewan, doesn't mean your Nova Scotia ID is invalid.
It is true that not just sometimes, but many people will often work or attend school or for other reasons have a temporary residence away from where they maintain their primary residence (been there, done that many times in my life). And for OHIP in particular, a RESIDENT of Ontario may retain their coverage while temporarily outside the province for up to 212 days within any 12 month period (with some exceptions for longer absences for mobile workers and full-time students who maintain their primary residence in Ontario and follow the procedures for providing Service Ontario the specified proof, including proof of their RESIDENCE in Ontario).

BUT that has NOTHING to do with the query here or my observations.

In contrast here the OP, @Rohnho, is NOT temporarily outside Ontario. The OP "moved to Quebec" and recognizes that they "cannot use" that OHIP card:
Relocating outside Ontario is NOT the same as temporarily being outside the province. As I noted, how recent the move was can make a difference. OHIP will continue coverage "until the last day of the second full month after [the client] leaves Ontario." See https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-across-canada After that the OHIP card is NOT valid.

Beyond that, you appear to be addressing the comments I made that were specifically "About Submitting [an] Invalid Document," while noting that in regards to a no longer valid OHIP card, IRCC does NOT play gotcha games, so odds are good that submitting it "would not result in a serious issue."

If the identification being presented to IRCC is still valid, that's a different scenario. You say "just because your address is in Sasketchewan, doesn't mean your Nova Scotia ID is invalid." OK. Assuming that identification is still valid, again that has nothing to do with whether it would be a good idea to submit, as identification, a document that is NOT valid. The OHIP card being discussed above is NOT valid.

But even if the ID is still valid . . . if it appears inconsistent with information in the application, such as the applicant's address, that increases the risks of non-routine processing and delays. Leading to . . .

And even if your health coverage in your original province is cancelled, doesn't mean the document no longer identifies you as you. The point of IRCC checking ID is to make sure they are dealing with the right person, not to check your health care coverage.
The latter part of this I addressed above.

Otherwise, you appear to be confusing presenting an official document (as is required for identification) with what can be presented as evidence. Again, IRCC does NOT generally play gotcha games, so it is not as if the no longer valid OHIP card is going to cause a serious problem. It will probably work. And it might not even cause any processing issues either, no more than having to explain in response to a question or three in an interview.

There is, for example very little risk that IRCC would treat presenting an invalid (no longer valid) document as an official document as misrepresentation, even though, of course, presenting something as an official document implicitly represents the document to be valid.

But what will work is not necessarily what works well, let alone what works best.

Reactions: forw.jane