+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel when PR card not received yet?

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I wonder if you have temporary multiple entry visa before you get PR, can you still use that visa to travel once you land but you haven't got PR card yet. Is previous TRV cancelled once you get PR?

kwabena kwabena

Star Member
May 26, 2010
no wait till u get the PR card, normally 4 weeks after u land

u can travel but u have to have yr PR to come back to canada so wait...

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alisa said:
Hi,

I wonder if you have temporary multiple entry visa before you get PR, can you still use that visa to travel once you land but you haven't got PR card yet. Is previous TRV cancelled once you get PR?
Your TRV will be cancelled when they stamp PR visa in your passport. Once you land the IO will cross out your PR visa sticker and also TRV if any in the passport. So you cannot use it any more and your return to Canada should be on a PR Card only.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
wilson said:
Your TRV will be cancelled when they stamp PR visa in your passport. Once you land the IO will cross out your PR visa sticker and also TRV if any in the passport. So you cannot use it any more and your return to Canada should be on a PR Card only.
Just wondering... could you enter back in to Canada with the PR visa that you landed on if you hadn't received your card yet? I don't know the landing process so if a person had to leave and come back in before their card arrived wouldn't they be able to based on that? I thought that I had read in other threads how people landed and then turned around and went back to the US so they could finish stuff up and then return to Canada?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Two ways to do this I think....firstly when you land you have to provide a Canadian address for the PR card to be sent too. If this address is a friend or family they can forward the PR card to you in another Country by Fed Ex.

If you do not have anyone whom is able to send the PR card onto you, you can apply for a travel document from the Canadian embassy of the Country you are in.

Obviously, the easiest way is to wait for the PR card to arrive but you can travel before that using the above methods.

Seniors will probably be able to give a better example than me.

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This post was kind of old but I think I would post some information that might be useful for people about my experience.

1. TRV is not cancelled once they stamp PR visa in passport. I don't know about other people who send the passport by mail if it will be the same. My case, I went to get my PR visa in a person. I crossed the border back to Canada using my TRV. I also traveled to Mexico and came back using that TRV. So as long as you haven't landed yet, I think TRV that you have is still valid.

2. Once you landed and while you're waiting for PR card, you can travel by car using COPR to show that you're permanent resident but if you travel by commercial carrier ie. bus, plane, boat then you need to get travel document from the country that you visit. This is what the officer at the border told me when I landed.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Thanks for the info. I assume it's a bit easier when you don't have to worry about a TRV (visa exempt country).

nncs

Mar 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Jan-2010
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2010
File Transfer...
8-Feb-2010
Interview........
10-Aug-2010
Passport Req..
16-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
Can you travel and come back using your record of landing paper that they give you at the airport when you land if you have to travel outside of Canada before the arrival of the PR card?

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nncs said:
Can you travel and come back using your record of landing paper that they give you at the airport when you land if you have to travel outside of Canada before the arrival of the PR card?
No, you need travel document from the country that you visit. But if you travel by your car ie. crossing the border to US and come back by car then no problem as you can use record of landing paper to reenter Canada.

nncs

Mar 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Jan-2010
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2010
File Transfer...
8-Feb-2010
Interview........
10-Aug-2010
Passport Req..
16-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
Thakns alisa....I think you may have misunderstood my question..

I meant if someone had a passport from a non-visa exempt country but lands in Canada as a PR via spousal sponsorship; can they travel out of Canada after their landing (but before they receive the PR card) and back in using their passport and record of landing (to show that they are a PR of Canada but don't have the actual card yet)

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nncs said:

I meant if someone had a passport from a non-visa exempt country but lands in Canada as a PR via spousal sponsorship; can they travel out of Canada after their landing (but before they receive the PR card) and back in using their passport and record of landing (to show that they are a PR of Canada but don't have the actual card yet)
Sorry for misunderstanding...I don't know about that case as I didn't ask the officer (I am not from visa-exempt country)

SCsquare

Star Member
Dec 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28th 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 9th 2009
File Transfer...
Nov 17th 2009
Med's Done....
Aug 15th 2009
Interview........
July 21st 2010
Passport Req..
July 21st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 21st 2010
LANDED..........
July 30th 2010
nncs said:

nncs.. I just called at the canadian border to confirm the same.. the number is listed in the site below
http://niagara.cioc.ca/record/NIA2262
The officer said that u can use the visa only travelling between US and Canada by road.. I have a similar situation.. I m working in US and am from a non-visa exempt country.. and I want to travel back n forth from US to Canada on my single entry visa(given for landing)..
I would suggest you also call and confirm from them

challenger485

Jan 5, 2010
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2011
AOR Received.
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-03-2011
Med's Done....
30-10-2010
Passport Req..
28-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Ecas status: Decision made on 29th visa received may 4
SCsquare said:
nncs.. I just called at the canadian border to confirm the same.. the number is listed in the site below
http://niagara.cioc.ca/record/NIA2262
The officer said that u can use the visa only travelling between US and Canada by road.. I have a similar situation.. I m working in US and am from a non-visa exempt country.. and I want to travel back n forth from US to Canada on my single entry visa(given for landing)..
I would suggest you also call and confirm from them
Single entry visa is not valid after you land. Once you land, you will get COPR. Even if you are from non-visa exempt country, you can travel to Canada by road with COPR.
Cheers

pr_seeker

Mar 25, 2009
Is there a limit on the number of times you can enter Canada on COPR? Can I reenter canada on COPR while my PR card application is pending?

jswalker

Apr 5, 2010
London (UK)
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2010
AOR Received.
06-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
For anyone thinking of just driving with COPR be careful. The official Canadian Immigration site says something a little different. I'm not saying you can't do it and what the others have said is false. Just a little warning that there COULD still be a problem.

www . canadainternational . gc . ca/uae-eau/visas/permanent_resident.aspx?lang=eng#n6