+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel to Canada to obtain my work permit without my student wife?

darvaset

Sep 18, 2021
Hello, my name is Diego and I am from Peru

My wife applied for a Study Permit and I applied for an Open Work Permit in the same application, we were approved but our baby was born after that, we're just waiting for her visitor visa to relocate to Toronto.

My wife already started her first semester, being the first semester, and the covid restrictions she was allowed to course it online. I received a very good offer from a Tech Company in Toronto and they require my presence in the city for at least one week to sign the contract, get my laptop and some training, before that I can work from home or come back to Peru if I want and here comes the question:

Is it possible for me to travel alone and get my work permit?, my wife would stay in Peru with our daughter until I complete the onboarding process in this company. Or is it mandatory for us to arrive at the same time to get our permits approved?

The alternative we have is traveling together, leaving our daughter with my mom, get our permits and my wife will return to Peru on the next day flight.

Thank you for reading my case and I hope you can help me with some advice.

AlbertaExpress

Star Member
Feb 20, 2020
Hello, my name is Diego and I am from Peru

My wife applied for a Study Permit and I applied for an Open Work Permit in the same application, we were approved but our baby was born after that, we're just waiting for her visitor visa to relocate to Toronto.

My wife already started her first semester, being the first semester, and the covid restrictions she was allowed to course it online. I received a very good offer from a Tech Company in Toronto and they require my presence in the city for at least one week to sign the contract, get my laptop and some training, before that I can work from home or come back to Peru if I want and here comes the question:

Is it possible for me to travel alone and get my work permit?, my wife would stay in Peru with our daughter until I complete the onboarding process in this company. Or is it mandatory for us to arrive at the same time to get our permits approved?

The alternative we have is traveling together, leaving our daughter with my mom, get our permits and my wife will return to Peru on the next day flight.

Thank you for reading my case and I hope you can help me with some advice.
Lots of congrats to your family. I think the primary applicant has to land first or both of you land same time. I guess that option of you and your Wife landing with your Baby staying behind may be a smart idea if getting a visa for your baby isn't feasible in the short time that you have. You can also start an application for the Baby, then write IRCC and explain your situation while applying that your strategy. Cheers

darvaset

Sep 18, 2021
Lots of congrats to your family. I think the primary applicant has to land first or both of you land same time. I guess that option of you and your Wife landing with your Baby staying behind may be a smart idea if getting a visa for your baby isn't feasible in the short time that you have. You can also start an application for the Baby, then write IRCC and explain your situation while applying that your strategy. Cheers
Thank you so much for your response, our agent told us that she had a similar case and the husband was able to travel with the wife student papers and he was allowed to enter the country.

However, minutes later, the same agent told us that Canada requested our baby's passport so her visa was approved and we already have a travel date, together :D

AlbertaExpress

Star Member
Feb 20, 2020
Thank you so much for your response, our agent told us that she had a similar case and the husband was able to travel with the wife student papers and he was allowed to enter the country.

However, minutes later, the same agent told us that Canada requested our baby's passport so her visa was approved and we already have a travel date, together :D
Wow... I rejoice with you man!

AlbertaExpress

Star Member
Feb 20, 2020

Pls if you don't mind, what Province are you guys heading for?