Aug 29, 2019
DR
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
29-08-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
There is a requirement for the applicant to move to Canada. Just not immediately. My husband was granted PR in November 2017, he did a soft landing in December 2017 and we returned to Australia 3 weeks later to sell our house, tie up loose ends here, etc. So long as he (and I) maintain his residency obligation in Canada then his PR status remains intact.
Question about the "soft landing" if I enter Canada after my PR is issued but come back to my home country for about a month or two to wrap things up, do I pay taxes on that income I will be earning? I will be on mat leave, but can't quit my job until it runs out or I will forfeit those paychecks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That was my point to canuck_in_uk. I understand doing a soft landing for the purpose of tying up loose ends in the home country such as your example, in which the purpose was to move and settle in Canada. The canuck seems to think moving to Canada is not a requirement of being granted PR status and thus do a soft landing and spend another 3-4 years to finish their education before finally moving to Canada is an acceptable thing to do. Finishing foreign education is not tying up loose ends to move to Canada. There were cases whereby the applicant was denied PR because border agent was not satisfied or convinced that the applicant was ready to MOVE to Canada when PR status was about to be granted. The border agent saw that the applicant was still continuing education in US thus denied PR and told applicant to apply for PR again when ready to move and settle in Canada. Mind you that was an actual example. If the border agent is not convinced that the applicant will actually move to Canada or that the applicant is put in a situation that he/she cannot pick and move just yet, be prepared for a possible denial of PR status.

The OP wants to continue his/her education outside Canada after getting PR status. I reminded the OP that it is expected of the OP to move and settle in Canada once getting PR, that includes giving up foreign education plans if PR status was issued in middle of the training. Finishing a degree first before moving to Canada will not satisfied border agent nor is the purpose of granting PR status.
The case you are referring to is where the applicant was refused landing at the border because the SPONSOR had just started a new degree in the US that was expected to take another 2 years. It had zero to do with the applicant's plans because, again, there is NO requirement for the applicant to prove that they are moving to Canada.