+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I study abroad when my outland sponsorship is being processed

VanHua

Nov 7, 2018
Hi there, I am getting married to my boyfriend this May and plan to go to Austria for a BA degree ( free education yay). I am originally from Vietnam and I am wondering what will happen if my location changed to Europe. If IRCC requires an interview does it mean I have to fly back to Vietnam to attend? Do I need to immediately go to Canada after my PR is granted? Thank you.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If you are PR, you are expected to remain in Canada until your soon to be spouse get PR. If you are Canadian, you are expected to show proof of moving back to Canada as soon as your bf get PR. That include giving up your education the moment your bf gets PR. If education is more important, you are best to wait until you are done or almost done with your education in Austria before submitting your PR application. There are cases whereby the PR was denied because the sponsor or applicant is not ready to move to Canada (need to finish degree first) when applicant was about to receive PR.

VanHua

Nov 7, 2018
If you are PR, you are expected to remain in Canada until your soon to be spouse get PR. If you are Canadian, you are expected to show proof of moving back to Canada as soon as your bf get PR. That includes giving up your education the moment your bf gets PR. If education is more important, you are best to wait until you are done or almost done with your education in Austria before submitting your PR application. There are cases whereby the PR was denied because the sponsor or applicant is not ready to move to Canada (need to finish degree first) when applicant was about to receive PR.
Wow, that is very helpful, I thought that I only have to be in Canada in person 2 years in the 5 years period. I understand that I cannot move anywhere else before the PR application is being processed, but how about when I arrive?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Wow, that is very helpful, I thought that I only have to be in Canada in person 2 years in the 5 years period. I understand that I cannot move anywhere else before the PR application is being processed, but how about when I arrive?
The person above was talking about your sponsor and not you. If it's an outland application you can travel anywhere you wish until the pr application is approved and then you're given a date by which you must land in canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My apology. I thought you were the the sponsor. Since you are the applicant, you can be anywhere in outside Canada during the processing. However I still stand corrected that you are expected to move to Canada permanently. There have been cases of being denied PR because they need to finish education first before moving.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My apology. I thought you were the the sponsor. Since you are the applicant, you can be anywhere in outside Canada during the processing. However I still stand corrected that you are expected to move to Canada permanently. There have been cases of being denied PR because they need to finish education first before moving.
That still only applies to the sponsor. There is no requirement for an applicant to prove that they will move to Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
That still only applies to the sponsor. There is no requirement for an applicant to prove that they will move to Canada.
Both applicant and sponsor are expected to move to Canada, regardless of whether it applied outland or inland.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Proof of intent to return is only required from the sponsor.
Have the OP tell the border that he/she has to complete the education in Europe before getting PR and see how that work out for the OP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Have the OP tell the border that he/she has to complete the education in Europe before getting PR and see how that work out for the OP.
OP doesn't need to say anything about it. It is perfectly fine for them to do a soft landing.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
OP doesn't need to say anything about it. It is perfectly fine for them to do a soft landing.
In other words lie to the border agent on the actual intention of moving to Canada (omission of fact is still a lie).

There is a different in between a soft landing for the purpose of returning to country to collect your belongings and move to Canada as compare to returning to country to finish education.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In other words lie to the border agent on the actual intention of moving to Canada (omission of fact is still a lie).

There is a different in between a soft landing for the purpose of returning to country to collect your belongings and move to Canada as compare to returning to country to finish education.
There is no lie. Again, there is NO requirement for an applicant to move to Canada as soon as they are approved.

Soft landings can certainly be for people to return to finish school, work, sell a house etc.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There is no lie. Again, there is NO requirement for an applicant to move to Canada as soon as they are approved.

Soft landings can certainly be for people to return to finish school, work, sell a house etc.
Then what was the point of applying for PR or IRCC to issue PR status if there is no requirement for applicant to move to Canada.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Then what was the point of applying for PR or IRCC to issue PR status if there is no requirement for applicant to move to Canada.
There is a requirement for the applicant to move to Canada. Just not immediately. My husband was granted PR in November 2017, he did a soft landing in December 2017 and we returned to Australia 3 weeks later to sell our house, tie up loose ends here, etc. So long as he (and I) maintain his residency obligation in Canada then his PR status remains intact.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There is a requirement for the applicant to move to Canada. Just not immediately. My husband was granted PR in November 2017, he did a soft landing in December 2017 and we returned to Australia 3 weeks later to sell our house, tie up loose ends here, etc. So long as he (and I) maintain his residency obligation in Canada then his PR status remains intact.
That was my point to canuck_in_uk. I understand doing a soft landing for the purpose of tying up loose ends in the home country such as your example, in which the purpose was to move and settle in Canada. The canuck seems to think moving to Canada is not a requirement of being granted PR status and thus do a soft landing and spend another 3-4 years to finish their education before finally moving to Canada is an acceptable thing to do. Finishing foreign education is not tying up loose ends to move to Canada. There were cases whereby the applicant was denied PR because border agent was not satisfied or convinced that the applicant was ready to MOVE to Canada when PR status was about to be granted. The border agent saw that the applicant was still continuing education in US thus denied PR and told applicant to apply for PR again when ready to move and settle in Canada. Mind you that was an actual example. If the border agent is not convinced that the applicant will actually move to Canada or that the applicant is put in a situation that he/she cannot pick and move just yet, be prepared for a possible denial of PR status.

The OP wants to continue his/her education outside Canada after getting PR status. I reminded the OP that it is expected of the OP to move and settle in Canada once getting PR, that includes giving up foreign education plans if PR status was issued in middle of the training. Finishing a degree first before moving to Canada will not satisfied border agent nor is the purpose of granting PR status.

Last edited: