+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I still apply for an extension (instead of restoration) on the day my implied status ends?

qingyunlan

Oct 16, 2019
Hi, I have applied for several visitors' status extension in order to be eligible as a common-law partner of a CA citizen after initial entry in Dec, 2018. (My application as common-law partner still haven't been submitted due to some delays. )
My latest application for extension was refused today, and my current visitor record expired on Mar 13th, 2020. When I am trying to apply for a restoration of status, I was asked the expiry date of my visitor status, and entered "June 15th 2020" (today), since, according to implied status , I am "considered in status until the day the decision is made", and was reminded to "finish my application today" in order not to apply for a restoration.
Can I still apply for an extension? If not, can I still apply for a restoration and for spouse-sponsored PR?
Thanks for your time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I have applied for several visitors' status extension in order to be eligible as a common-law partner of a CA citizen after initial entry in Dec, 2018. (My application as common-law partner still haven't been submitted due to some delays. )
My latest application for extension was refused today, and my current visitor record expired on Mar 13th, 2020. When I am trying to apply for a restoration of status, I was asked the expiry date of my visitor status, and entered "June 15th 2020" (today), since, according to implied status , I am "considered in status until the day the decision is made", and was reminded to "finish my application today" in order not to apply for a restoration.
Can I still apply for an extension? If not, can I still apply for a restoration and for spouse-sponsored PR?
Thanks for your time
You need to enter Mar 13 as the expiry date of your status. It's too late to apply for an extension. You need to apply for restoration.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your priority needs to be applying for sponsorship. Your chance of restoration increases if you can show that you have already started the sponsorship process.

Reactions: uqacleo

qingyunlan

Oct 16, 2019
Your priority needs to be applying for sponsorship. Your chance of restoration increases if you can show that you have already started the sponsorship process.
Didn't see this and I have submitted the restoration application a bit earlier. Am working on my PR around the clock now.

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
@qingyunlan did you apply for restoration and sponsorship application as well? Did you apply inland or outland? Are you doing it by yourself or with a immigration lawyer/consultant? My partner and I are in the same situation. We are panicking and devastated that this has happened. He is Chinese and cannot go back even if he tried (flights are limited, transit through HK and Taiwan, where flights to mainland have now been cancelled.) We are also missing documents, his documents are required through the Chinese government and it's hard to still get it.

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: qingyunlan

qingyunlan

Oct 16, 2019
@qingyunlan did you apply for restoration and sponsorship application as well? Did you apply inland or outland? Are you doing it by yourself or with a immigration lawyer/consultant? My partner and I are in the same situation. We are panicking and devastated that this has happened. He is Chinese and cannot go back even if he tried (flights are limited, transit through HK and Taiwan, where flights to mainland have now been cancelled.) We are also missing documents, his documents are required through the Chinese government and it's hard to still get it.

Pat pat. I totally understand. I'm in a similar situation and I'm the PA from China too. No I don't have a lawyer. I have applied for restoration but am very anxious that it may be refused. I'm still preparing for PR application. Let's keep in contact!

Last edited:
Reactions: kmychan

qingyunlan

Oct 16, 2019

Hi what document is he missing? Is it the police certificate? I feel like almost done with most documents and I plan to update my restoration application once I'm confident having them all.

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Hi what document is he missing? Is it the police certificate? I feel like almost done with most documents and I plan to update my restoration application once I'm confident having them all.
Yes he was missing that and his family registry. He finally has the documents and we will try to send his application soon too.

qingyunlan

Oct 16, 2019
Yes he was missing that and his family registry. He finally has the documents and we will try to send his application soon too.
Hi, just to confirm: I only have to submit a copy of the family registry (hukou) right? Do I need to translate it or anything? And I only have to submit 2 pages (the family relationship page and my personal page)?

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Hi, just to confirm: I only have to submit a copy of the family registry (hukou) right? Do I need to translate it or anything? And I only have to submit 2 pages (the family relationship page and my personal page)?
We had to get a certified translation. We did it for his whole immediate family, parents and sibling. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/do-you-need-to-translate-chinese-household-register-booklet-hukou.140345/

uqacleo

Sep 14, 2021
My mom's extension stay with supervisa was refused and I am preparing to submit the restoration. Before I got the refusal letter on the extension, I also submitted the PGP sponsor her to permanent residence. Should I mention this on restoration to increase the chance to get approval? Thanks.