+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you need to translate Chinese Household Register Booklet (Hukou)?

Aeizalt

Jan 20, 2013
Hello everybody,

The thing is this I live in Canada but apply outland. So according to outland application kit, I need to provide the photocopies of my Chinese household register booklet (Hukou). I got the photocopies from my parents through email. But I just realized today that I didn't think about whether it needs to to be translated.
Does anyone know whether I need to translate Chinese Household Register Booklet (Hukou)? Thank you so much!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you get the translation done by a certified translator, he or she will get it certified. There should be lots available in Canada.

Aeizalt

Jan 20, 2013
canadianwoman said:
If you get the translation done by a certified translator, he or she will get it certified. There should be lots available in Canada.
Thank you! I will get it done on Monday. One more question: Do I need to get an affidavit from this certified translator?

Aeizalt

Jan 20, 2013
Hello, sorry to bother again.

I just got a quote from a certified translator. It would cost me nearly 300 dollars to get it done. It's a little too pricy for me since I just graduated from the university.

In the checklist for China region, it says provide this Hukou booklet. But it wasn't mentioned in another package for applying inland. Do I have to translate this booklet? Just want to make sure. Thanks.

Can anyone, who has similar experiences regarding Hukou Booklet and living in Canada, help me with this?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can get it done by someone who is not certified, who then would have to provide an affidavit.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
If your Hukou is still in China, get one of your family members to translate it for you. My wife got hers translated at the notary public attached to the police station. It was cheap.

FS

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Aeizalt said:
I got the photocopies from my parents through email.
Note in addition to the translation, you will also need to get the photocopy certified as a true copy. This means you will need to bring the photocopy, and the original document, into a notary/lawyer to get it certified. Basically the notary needs to compare the photocopy to the original document, and declare it's indeed a true copy. This is required of all photocopies you need a translation for (unless it says otherwise in your country guide): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Translation of documents
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
-the English or French translation; and
-an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
-a certified copy of the original document

Fencesitter said:
If your Hukou is still in China, get one of your family members to translate it for you.
I wouldn't recommend this. From the guide i posted above:
Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

You might get away with it sometimes, but if the VO follows the rules they will request a re-translation and delay your application.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
I didn't mean for the family member to do the actual translation. I meant they could get it translated at the notary public attached to the cop shop.

FS