+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does mistake in marital status & lack of written statement affect chances of restoration approval?

qingyunlan

Oct 16, 2019
(this is a thread about restoration application, but since I'm applying it in order to stay for spouse-sponsored inland PR application, I decided to post it here. Plz point me out if this is incorrect! )

I have recently submitted a restoration in order to apply for spouse-sponsored PR after my extension of visitor status was refused, but it seems that since I was in such a rush I made several mistakes.
  1. I entered wrong marital status. I applied for the restoration on grounds of "more time for spousal sponsorship application", but, believing the common-law partnership begins only when we notarize it (which will happen once the PR application is submitted), I wrongly answered "single" there, while I should actually have been in common-law relationship since end of 2018, when we started living together. I have made the same mistake with my 3 previous extension applications (2 approved, latest one refused) and only found it out while filling in PR application forms. Although my forms otherwise shows that we're living together and interdependent (I stated that I'm visiting "my partner", and he has written a statement to financially support my stay entirely with addressed to our co-living apartment), I suspect this was the grounds my latest extension was refused (more detail will follow).
  2. I didn't write a statement to explain my reason for overstaying, but that seems to be the case for most other applicants of restoration, judging from what I've read from the forum. And Canuck said I had better prove that I've already started the sponsorship process.

I'm extremely extremely agitated by the prospect of having my restoration application refused, especially under the current pandemic: my country offers hardly any way back (flights are mostly 10 times more expensive and very few and far between) and I don't have any temporary visa to any other country (plus going to another country would be costly considering the self-quarantine procedure and chances of being back being scant). So I'm wondering: is there any way I can make up for the mistakes (like the way I can change my address for application), and is there anything I can do in my PR application to help this? Or should I just chill, apply to enter another country just in case, and let the chips fall?

Thank you for reading this out and for your time!

PS: details on my latest, refused extension application, in case that's relevant: I reviewed my application form and found that, apart from not entering the marital status correctly, I also mistakenly entered my purpose of stay as "visitor", while all my previous applications' purposes have been "other: apply for spousal sponsorship as common-law partner". Could that be the reason for the refusal? If not, what can I do now to improve the situation? Below is the full response.
This letter refers to your application for a visitor record.
Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.

Persons wishing to extend temporary resident status in Canada must satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay, that they will not contravene the conditions of entry and that they do not belong in a category of persons inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

In reaching a decision, an officer considers several factors, which include the applicant’s:
1. Reason for original entry and reason for requested extension;​
2. Ties to country of permanent residence, including:​
- employment and study commitments;​
- family ties and responsibilities;​
- status (citizenship or immigration status);​
3. Financial means for the extended stay and return home;​
4. Travel and identity documents;​
5. Probability to leave Canada at the end of authorized stay.​
After considering all the circumstances of your case, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations.
You must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has already expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you.
Again, a huge thank you!