+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I stay in Canada while waiting for post-graduate work permit?

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
I applied for a PGWPP online on June 1, as soon as I got hold of my transcript. The status is still "Submitted", but the problem is my study permit and temporary resident visa expire by the end of August. I really hope to hear from them asap, because there's not much time left...

But in case there's no word from CIC, am I legally allowed to remain in Canada beyond the validity of my study permit? (assuming that the work permit is still being processed) Am I allowed to continue working at my current job? Do I really have to leave the country? And lastly, would you suggest that I make a separate app for a new temporary resident visa asap?

P.S. What strikes me is that they're not being explicit about this on their website. Like nowhere do they mention if applicants are allowed to stay over or not. I wonder if it would still be considered a legal offence.

Hope someone can share their knowledge/experience... I would really appreciate!!

pochfaye0704

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
BC, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO
NOC Code......
NOC B 1241
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
11-10-2018
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Passport Req..
28-08-2019
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

• had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.

:):):)

Reactions: alex996

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
See, I found that too, and I do satisfy all the conditions there... But it doesn't mention anything about the expiring study permit / temporary resident visa. So my question is more like, if they expire, are you still legally allowed to stay and work? Or do you have to leave the country because you no longer have the valid documentation? This article seems to say yes, but I am not sure...

Last edited:

nee_p

Oct 26, 2018
I applied for a PGWPP online on June 1, as soon as I got hold of my transcript. The status is still "Submitted", but the problem is my study permit and temporary resident visa expire by the end of August. I really hope to hear from them asap, because there's not much time left...

But in case there's no word from CIC, am I legally allowed to remain in Canada beyond the validity of my study permit? (assuming that the work permit is still being processed) Am I allowed to continue working at my current job? Do I really have to leave the country? And lastly, would you suggest that I make a separate app for a new temporary resident visa asap?

P.S. What strikes me is that they're not being explicit about this on their website. Like nowhere do they mention if applicants are allowed to stay over or not. I wonder if it would still be considered a legal offence.

Hope someone can share their knowledge/experience... I would really appreciate!!

Hi alex996,

I am in the exact same situation as you were in. Could you please share what happened with your case and how you proceeded?

Thanks a ton!!

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Hi alex996,

I am in the exact same situation as you were in. Could you please share what happened with your case and how you proceeded?

Thanks a ton!!
nee_p All of the answers above are correct. If you visit the link that Bs65 provided, you'll see it mentions at the bottom that you need to hold a valid study permit and apply for PGWPP before its expiry. So long as you do, you're entitled to stay and wait on their decision.

nee_p

Oct 26, 2018
nee_p All of the answers above are correct. If you visit the link that Bs65 provided, you'll see it mentions at the bottom that you need to hold a valid study permit and apply for PGWPP before its expiry. So long as you do, you're entitled to stay and wait on their decision.

Perfect, thanks a lot guys !!