+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I stay in Canada when my visa expires but the work permit is still valid?

amitsingh309

Mar 3, 2020
Hi all,

My student visa is expired but have a valid Work Permit.
I have doubts about travelling to India, if your visa is expired but you have a valid work permit.
Can i travel to India with expiry visa and apply for my visa from india and come back to Canada after getting visa?
If the immigration and airlines will allow me through because British airlines has not allowed me to board because I didn't have the Canada visa and the transit visa for London for just 1 hour layover.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

My student visa is expired but have a valid Work Permit.
I have doubts about travelling to India, if your visa is expired but you have a valid work permit.
Can i travel to India with expiry visa and apply for my visa from india and come back to Canada after getting visa?
If the immigration and airlines will allow me through because British airlines has not allowed me to board because I didn't have the Canada visa and the transit visa for London for just 1 hour layover.
You need a valid TRV to return to Canada.

NessaEJ

Jul 13, 2019
Hi

Wrong, as long as the OP work permit is valid, s/he has valid status in Canada. The TRV is just to enter Canada, it doesn't have to remain valid while you are in Canada.
Hello! It's a relief to see this answer though I see it's from 2013. Is this still valid on 2021?
thank you!

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
My Work permit has expired but trv is still valid ,so do I have to apply for restoration or not .
You need a valid WP or an in-progress extension application (implied status) to maintain your status. TRV has no co-relation with your status, it's meant for entry to Canada only.

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
On a different situation, if my work visa is expiring soon then do I need to apply for a visitor visa to stay in the country legally?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

On a different situation, if my work visa is expiring soon then do I need to apply for a visitor visa to stay in the country legally?

1. No, not a visitor visa (TRV) but an extension as a visitor (visitor record)

Parmeet kaur67

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hi experts, asking for my sister. She recently got closed work permit and her trv was applied on open work permit until 2027. I understand that it stays valid, so she doesn’t need to send passport again for trv which status being chnaged to closed work permit from open work permit? I mean she can use same trv that she has to exit canada and come back, right?