+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I stay in Canada when my visa expires but the work permit is still valid?

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
Hi

1. Assuming you mean your TRV, you should wait until you have the BOWP, as IRCC won't issue a new TRV in Canada as your current work permit has less than a month to run.
Hey,

Thank you very much for your response.

I just checked in my application again and yet, there is no update.

I know that if nothing happens till the expiry of my status, I will go into Implies Status and can continue based on the same conditions as my WP. However, is there any way by which I can speed up the process.

All suggestions are welcomed and will be helpful.

Please advise one and all!

Many Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no way to speed up the process.

ronakshah

Sep 11, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have temporary resident student visa valid until march/2018. I have study permit and open work permit both. I obtained the student visa when I had study permit. But due to some reasons I did not go for study and obtained dependent open work permit. My question is "I am planning to travel to USA, so will I be let enter into Canada from USA on the basis of My student visa (TRV) and work permit?

jp2017

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
Hi

1. Assuming you mean your TRV, you should wait until you have the BOWP, as IRCC won't issue a new TRV in Canada as your current work permit has less than a month to run.
Hi, I am in Canada. I applied for my Open Work Permit in July 31, 2017. My TRV has expired in September 2017. My Open Work Permit was issued on October 2017. I want to apply for a TRV so I can leave and re-enter Canada. My question is, in IMM5708 E form, which is the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Holder, no. 3 question provides: I am applying for one or more of the following:
1) Extension of my temporary resident status,
2) Restoration of temporary resident status or
3) initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit.

Questions.
1. Since my TRV expired on September 2017 while waiting for my Open Work Permit, should I choose 2) Restoration of Temporary Resident Status?
2. If I choose Restoration of Temporary Resident Status, what should I enter in No. 7 Current Country of Residence for Status? a) Will I be considered a Worker since I already have my Open Work Permit? b) Or Is my status "Other" and specify "Foreign National" under the "Other" tab? c) If I choose "Other", what will I enter under the From and To dates?

Any help is much appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I am in Canada. I applied for my Open Work Permit in July 31, 2017. My TRV has expired in September 2017. My Open Work Permit was issued on October 2017. I want to apply for a TRV so I can leave and re-enter Canada. My question is, in IMM5708 E form, which is the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Holder, no. 3 question provides: I am applying for one or more of the following:
1) Extension of my temporary resident status,
2) Restoration of temporary resident status or
3) initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit.

Questions.
1. Since my TRV expired on September 2017 while waiting for my Open Work Permit, should I choose 2) Restoration of Temporary Resident Status?
2. If I choose Restoration of Temporary Resident Status, what should I enter in No. 7 Current Country of Residence for Status? a) Will I be considered a Worker since I already have my Open Work Permit? b) Or Is my status "Other" and specify "Foreign National" under the "Other" tab? c) If I choose "Other", what will I enter under the From and To dates?

Any help is much appreciated.
Hi

You are looking at the wrong application. That is to apply to change or extend your status as a visitor.

You need to apply for a new TRV. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5256ETOC.asp

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
hi,
I am in Canada now. I came here on June 2017 with my visitor visa which will expire on May 2018 but recently I have got OWP valid till October 2018. I am staying here with my husband.

Can I stay and do work in Canada legally when my TRV as visitor will be expired?
Do I need to re-new my TRV as visitor to stay in canada before it's expiry though my OWP won't be expired?
If I stay with expired TRV will it cause any problem for my OWP extension?

Thanks a lot.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi,
I am in Canada now. I came here on June 2017 with my visitor visa which will expire on May 2018 but recently I have got OWP valid till October 2018. I am staying here with my husband.

Can I stay and do work in Canada legally when my TRV as visitor will be expired?
Do I need to re-new my TRV as visitor to stay in canada before it's expiry though my OWP won't be expired?
If I stay with expired TRV will it cause any problem for my OWP extension?

Thanks a lot.
Hi

1. Your TRV validity has nothing to do with your status in Canada.

2. You should get a new TRV in case you need to leave Canada and return.

3. See 1.

Reactions: Konok keya

senthilkumarank

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07-2018
AOR Received.
04-11-2018
Hi all,
Currently, my Canada visa got expired and holding valid work permit up to 2019. Can I able travel to India which includes Amsterdam transit?
Thought of applying for Visa stamping in India.

Luz1957

Aug 3, 2018
Hi. I am in Canada right now as tourist. Validity of my visa is jan 19 2019. I now have an immigrant visa and can have confirmation of my residency once my husband who is the principal applicant will land. For some reason he can only land on Feb 5 and as per the rule the principal applicant should land first before the dependent.

My question is, do i need to extend my stay til while waiting for the principal applicant or can i just overstay for about 3weeks until my husband lands here.

MarsiaMS

Jul 5, 2016
Northern British Columbia
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
15-03-2017
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
upfront
Hi. I am in Canada right now as tourist. Validity of my visa is jan 19 2019. I now have an immigrant visa and can have confirmation of my residency once my husband who is the principal applicant will land. For some reason he can only land on Feb 5 and as per the rule the principal applicant should land first before the dependent.

My question is, do i need to extend my stay til while waiting for the principal applicant or can i just overstay for about 3weeks until my husband lands here.
I would strongly advice against overstaying without status. Either extend your stay or go back home and land with your husband.

J12121

May 10, 2019
I have applied for post-graduation work permit and still in the process. My study permit expire soon. Can I stay in canada after my study permit expire? thank you.