+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I stay in Canada when my visa expires but the work permit is still valid?

noot1

Sep 16, 2012
I am in Canada now.

My work permit is still valid but my visa expires.
Can I stay in Canada legally with valid work permit but expired visa?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to renew your Temporary Resident Visa in order to maintain legal status in Canada. A valid work permit isn't enough.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

amira_mais said:
You need to renew your Temporary Resident Visa in order to maintain legal status in Canada. A valid work permit isn't enough.
Wrong, as long as the OP work permit is valid, s/he has valid status in Canada. The TRV is just to enter Canada, it doesn't have to remain valid while you are in Canada.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noot1 said:
I am in Canada now.

My work permit is still valid but my visa expires.
Can I stay in Canada legally with valid work permit but expired visa?
Hi,

I must have answered this question a couple of times before. :) - echoing PMM's reply:

Visa - the counterfoil on your passport - is an entry document and is used to travel into the country. A multiple-entry visa allows you to travel in and out of the country within the validity period of the visa. A single-entry visa is affords you only one entry; the visa is then used and invalidated.

Work Permit - is a status document authorizing work and temporary residence in the country; this is a separate document issued at PoE upon landing of a worker or in case of renewal issued from CPC Vegreville. The validity period of the WP can extend beyond the validity period of the visa. (i.e. in some cases a visa is valid only for 6 months but a WP issued can be 1-2 years as based on the passport and/or employment contract, which ever is shorter). A WP validity typically does not extend beyond the validity of the worker's passport.

Even if you have an expired visa, but a valid WP, you have valid status and authorization to work and reside in Canada until the expiry of the WP. Note however, to travel out of Canada and to return back, you will need a valid visa to re-enter the country.

/hope this helps...

Reactions: Harry_Sidhu

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
You don't have to renew your TRV unless you are going out of Canada and need one to come back...

As long as your work permit is valid..you can stay here in Canada..

My TRV has expired in 2010...but I'm still here in Canada with a valid work permit! :)

canadahelper

May 13, 2013
You can work and live in Canada based on a valid work permit but cannot travel outside Canada as you do not have a valid visa to enter Canada

Pinnaak

Feb 14, 2012
Currently my student visa has expired however my WP is valid....Do I need to renew my TRV incase I want to travel back to India and do NOT intent to re-enter back into canada?

Pinnaak

Feb 14, 2012
ragluf said:
Hi,

I must have answered this question a couple of times before. :) - echoing PMM's reply:

Visa - the counterfoil on your passport - is an entry document and is used to travel into the country. A multiple-entry visa allows you to travel in and out of the country within the validity period of the visa. A single-entry visa is affords you only one entry; the visa is then used and invalidated.

Work Permit - is a status document authorizing work and temporary residence in the country; this is a separate document issued at PoE upon landing of a worker or in case of renewal issued from CPC Vegreville. The validity period of the WP can extend beyond the validity period of the visa. (i.e. in some cases a visa is valid only for 6 months but a WP issued can be 1-2 years as based on the passport and/or employment contract, which ever is shorter). A WP validity typically does not extend beyond the validity of the worker's passport.

Even if you have an expired visa, but a valid WP, you have valid status and authorization to work and reside in Canada until the expiry of the WP. Note however, to travel out of Canada and to return back, you will need a valid visa to re-enter the country.

/hope this helps...
Currently my student visa has expired however my WorkPermit is valid....Do I need to renew my TRV If I want to permanantly return back to India and do NOT intent to re-enter back into canada. Please help?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pinnaak said:
...Do I need to renew my TRV If I want to permanantly return back to India and do NOT intent to re-enter back into canada. Please help?
No.

Kiranmayi

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-02-2015
IELTS Request
Send with Application
Med's Done....
15-12-2015 (upfront)
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
16-03-2016
Pinnaak said:
Currently my student visa has expired however my WorkPermit is valid....Do I need to renew my TRV If I want to permanantly return back to India and do NOT intent to re-enter back into canada. Please help?
In that case dont waste your money and forgot about VISA.

ENjy

vizag_canada

Star Member
Nov 28, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-dec-2010
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-
Med's Done....
13 dec 2010
Interview........
--waived--
Passport Req..
--waived--
VISA ISSUED...
14/jan/2011
LANDED..........
21/jan/2011
No.. The visa sticker on your passport is just valid for you to enter canada. To work or live in canada you need a work or study permit.

You dont have to apply for a TRV counterfoil unless you want to come back to canada.

Or if you feel like coming back to canada after you go back to india. You can still apply for the visa in india if you have a valid work permit. ( just the processing time might be more)

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-12-2014 (Received in Ottawa on May-14-2014)
Doc's Request.
Sent PCC on Sep-4-2014 (without any request from CIC)
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
Pinnaak said:
Currently my student visa has expired however my WP is valid....Do I need to renew my TRV incase I want to travel back to India and do NOT intent to re-enter back into canada?
I believe the answer is above.
TRV is ONLY needed to ENTER Canada.
If you do not have plans to come back then you DO NOT need it.
TRV is sort of an ENTRY VISA only.

I hope that helps now.

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
Hello guys,

My VISA has expired but Work Permit is still valid until June 14, 2017.

I recently applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on May 18, 2017.

I want to know if I should I apply for VISA right now or later? Also, if I should apply for it how should I proceed with the application?

All suggestions are welcomed and will be helpful.

Please advise one and all!

Many Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello guys,

My VISA has expired but Work Permit is still valid until June 14, 2017.

I recently applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on May 18, 2017.

I want to know if I should I apply for VISA right now or later? Also, if I should apply for it how should I proceed with the application?

All suggestions are welcomed and will be helpful.

Please advise one and all!

Many Thanks.
1. Assuming you mean your TRV, you should wait until you have the BOWP, as IRCC won't issue a new TRV in Canada as your current work permit has less than a month to run.