+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my mother and her husband ?

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At the website, it states that you can only sponsor your own parents, not your in-laws but I don't find any information about my mother's husband. It's not logic to sponsor her and not to him as she is not going to come to Canada alone as they are married.

Thanks for any help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
At the website, it states that you can only sponsor your own parents, not your in-laws but I don't find any information about my mother's husband. It's not logic to sponsor her and not to him as she is not going to come to Canada alone as they are married.

Thanks for any help.
As stated on the website, all of the sponsored person's dependents must be included in the application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yeah but my question if if I can sponsor him also with my mother. I'm not talking about mentioning him.
Yes, you must include him in the application, this is not optional. He will also do police checks and medical exam, and must be included in your family size, whether he wanted to go to Canada or not. If for any reason her husband is ineligible to be sponsored (i.e. if he has an expensive medical condition), that would make your mother ineligible to be sponsored also.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you must include him in the application, this is not optional. He will also do police checks and medical exam, and must be included in your family size, whether he wanted to go to Canada or not. If for any reason her husband is ineligible to be sponsored (i.e. if he has an expensive medical condition), that would make your mother ineligible to be sponsored also.
Ok, so I can sponsor both and so then I need to have the minimum financial requirements for 2 people.

M

mikeymyke

Family size also includes your spouse and children, if applicable

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I don't have. I just want to sponsor my mother and her husband :)
If you have no spouse and no kids, then your family size is you + mother + her spouse = 3 people.

You need this income to qualify to sponsor them in 2018:
2017 $48,945
2016 $48,404
2015 $47,476

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At the Sponsor Web Form,

3. Tell us the number of persons you want to sponsor and their family members. (required)
Count the number of parents and grandparents you want to sponsor AND their dependants (spouse or partner and dependent children). You must also include the dependants who will not come to Canada with your parents or grandparents.

I guess the answer in my case is 2, my mother and her husband.

5. Provide the names and dates of birth for the parents and grandparents you wish to sponsor.

Name of parent or grandparent (1)

But here it just says parents and grandparents so I can only name my mother or do I need to enter all the information about my mother's husband as well even if he isn't my parent?

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I'm in Quebec so according to the calculator I'd need $48,671 only for 2017.
Right Quebec is just 1 year of income proof required, not 3.
I'm not sure the Quebec income amounts, but it should be less than regular LICO for parents.

At the Sponsor Web Form,

3. Tell us the number of persons you want to sponsor and their family members. (required)
Count the number of parents and grandparents you want to sponsor AND their dependants (spouse or partner and dependent children). You must also include the dependants who will not come to Canada with your parents or grandparents.

I guess the answer in my case is 2, my mother and her husband.
Right.

5. Provide the names and dates of birth for the parents and grandparents you wish to sponsor.
Name of parent or grandparent (1)

But here it just says parents and grandparents so I can only name my mother or do I need to enter all the information about my mother's husband as well even if he isn't my parent?
I would include her husband's name as well, just to be safe.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right.

I would include her husband's name as well, just to be safe.
Yeah but here the issue goes directly to the original question. Of course I can include both names (nothing to loose) but as the form just asks for parents name for sponsor it could means that I can't sponsor my mother's husband. The point 3 is about the people I want to sponsor plus any dependents but point 5 is specifically only about family members (parents) I wish to sponsor and only indicates parents and grandparents, that's why I get confused .... :(