+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i sponsor my husband but I dont have a job!

Yani26

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2014
Med's Done....
March 13, 2014
I want to sponsor my husband right now but I dont have any job yet but im starting to apply though..The thing that i have to pay and not get a refund if i send my application as a sponsor makes me want to make sure that i can pass as an eligible sponsor.

pls help.thank you!

Abe1004

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2013
AOR Received.
26-08-2013
File Transfer...
13-09-2013
Med's Done....
02-07-2013
Interview........
28-05-2014
You have to show to Immigration, that you have means to support your husband and that requires a steady job and a T4 for couple of years (at least a year).

No income at all (no job) does not cut it, to my understanding anyway.

Good luck with job hunting.

Tanli

Jan 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15 2013
Doc's Request.
Apr 2014
File Transfer...
Aug 15 2013
Med's Request
Feb 27 2015
Med's Done....
June 2013, Mar 2 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 6 2015
LANDED..........
soon!
Yani26 said:
I want to sponsor my husband right now but I dont have any job yet but im starting to apply though..The thing that i have to pay and not get a refund if i send my application as a sponsor makes me want to make sure that i can pass as an eligible sponsor.

pls help.thank you!
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I was accepted as a sponsor and I didn't have a job and haven't had one since I married my husband 4 years ago. It's a long story but because of circumstances I was/am unable to work. Anyways, I explained that in the application and I also included a letter from my old boss in Canada stating that she would gladly hire me when I returned to Canada. For income, all I had was bank interest from our joint bank account. It was not much but I included it in the application. Good luck!!

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
Abe1004 said:
You have to show to Immigration, that you have means to support your husband and that requires a steady job and a T4 for couple of years (at least a year).

No income at all (no job) does not cut it, to my understanding anyway.

Good luck with job hunting.
I don't think so. You don't have to have a job, but you have to show your Option-C to Immigration mostly to show you didn't collect welfare. If you don't have a job and no money, you do have to show Immigration that you can support your husband though. For example, if you're living at home, a letter from your parents showing they'll let you live at home, etc.

Reactions: carolbb23

Abe1004

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2013
AOR Received.
26-08-2013
File Transfer...
13-09-2013
Med's Done....
02-07-2013
Interview........
28-05-2014
Zarilenth said:
I don't think so. You don't have to have a job, but you have to show your Option-C to Immigration mostly to show you didn't collect welfare. If you don't have a job and no money, you do have to show Immigration that you can support your husband though. For example, if you're living at home, a letter from your parents showing they'll let you live at home, etc.
I feel like this is a very fine line and immigration officials have all rights to deny jobless sponsor (or simply speaking one without income). Dont get me wrong I am all for people re-uniting, I am just blatantly stating the truth. Maybe (just maybe) in some cases (for some cultures) living at home with your parents and paperwork from them is a proof that there will be means for providing sponsored one with everything necessary. However more often than not I feel like official will make the case that this makes parents of the sponsor turn into actual sponsors in opposite to the sponsor taking up on its own obligations (if you know what I mean).Besides official can also make a claim that simple means to sleep somewhere can both: a) be taken away considering the sponsor may get in arguement with parents. and b) still do not pertain to be proof of sponsor being able to support sponsored one's needs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Abe1004 said:
I feel like this is a very fine line and immigration officials have all rights to deny jobless sponsor (or simply speaking one without income). Dont get me wrong I am all for people re-uniting, I am just blatantly stating the truth. Maybe (just maybe) in some cases (for some cultures) living at home with your parents and paperwork from them is a proof that there will be means for providing sponsored one with everything necessary. However more often than not I feel like official will make the case that this makes parents of the sponsor turn into actual sponsors in opposite to the sponsor taking up on its own obligations (if you know what I mean).Besides official can also make a claim that simple means to sleep somewhere can both: a) be taken away considering the sponsor may get in arguement with parents. and b) still do not pertain to be proof of sponsor being able to support sponsored one's needs.
Many people here from many different backgrounds / cultures have successfully sponsored their spouses while making no income. As long as you are not on social assistance and not bankrupt, sponsors with no income are typically accepted.

Having no income should not stop a person from sponsoring their spouse (again - provided they are not on social assistance or bankrupt). You may feel the process should work differently - but it doesn't.

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
Abe1004 said:
From the CIC website:

In order to sponsor, you must...

- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
- be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
- live in Canada or provide evidence, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.
sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
- sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner's basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children,
- prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner's dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.

You may NOT sponsor if you...

- signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or common-law partner and three years have not elapsed since he or she became a permanent resident and,
- receive social assistance for a reason other than disability,
-are in default of an undertaking, an immigration loan, a performance bond, or family support payments, For more information. See Defaults below.
-are an undischarged bankrupt,
-were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
- were previously sponsored as a spouse , common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago,
-are under a removal order,
- are detained in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,
- have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or common-law partner and a decision on your application has not yet been made.

There is nothing on there about not having a job. The only thing that comes close is if your applicant has dependant children.

Yani26

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2014
Med's Done....
March 13, 2014
Zarilenth said:
From the CIC website:

In order to sponsor, you must...

- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
- be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
- live in Canada or provide evidence, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.
sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
- sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner's basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children,
- prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner's dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.

You may NOT sponsor if you...

- signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or common-law partner and three years have not elapsed since he or she became a permanent resident and,
- receive social assistance for a reason other than disability,
-are in default of an undertaking, an immigration loan, a performance bond, or family support payments, For more information. See Defaults below.
-are an undischarged bankrupt,
-were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
- were previously sponsored as a spouse , common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago,
-are under a removal order,
- are detained in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,
- have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or common-law partner and a decision on your application has not yet been made.

There is nothing on there about not having a job. The only thing that comes close is if your applicant has dependant children.
well we have a child but a canadian citizen..and will not be in his application..?

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
Yani26 said:
well we have a child but a canadian citizen..and will not be in his application..?
I'm not an expert I think in that case you're okay since you are not sponsoring the child as well, as it is a Canadian citizen.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You can indeed sponsor your spouse without having a job. You should include in your application package a clearly written outline of how you plan to support your self and your spouse once your spouse has been granted their PR visa. Keep in mind, any support from your family will be counted, if your parents are willing to allow you to live in their home until you are both on your feet. If your spouse has x skills that he can gain a job in Canada in x field making x money yearly. You are in school, or have this particular skill that once you are able to locate a job you will make x money yearly.

There are all kinds of ways for you to include the ability for you to sponsor your spouse successfully. The ONLY thing CIC wants to see from you is that you will not apply for welfare for you and your spouse the moment he lands on Canadian soil.

Good luck!

Yani26

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2014
Med's Done....
March 13, 2014
Alurra71 said:
You can indeed sponsor your spouse without having a job. You should include in your application package a clearly written outline of how you plan to support your self and your spouse once your spouse has been granted their PR visa. Keep in mind, any support from your family will be counted, if your parents are willing to allow you to live in their home until you are both on your feet. If your spouse has x skills that he can gain a job in Canada in x field making x money yearly. You are in school, or have this particular skill that once you are able to locate a job you will make x money yearly.

There are all kinds of ways for you to include the ability for you to sponsor your spouse successfully. The ONLY thing CIC wants to see from you is that you will not apply for welfare for you and your spouse the moment he lands on Canadian soil.

Good luck!
wow thanks!that made me understand..thanks :)

kmishal

Star Member
Feb 2, 2013
We have a same situation. My wife, who lives with me outside Canada, sponsored me. She does not have a job. We have a toddler, Canadian national so she only sponsored me. We submit our application this January. What we did was, an affidavit from in Law, that they will support me until I got settled.

Finger crossed.

Regards

Yani26

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2014
Med's Done....
March 13, 2014
kmishal said:
We have a same situation. My wife, who lives with me outside Canada, sponsored me. She does not have a job. We have a toddler, Canadian national so she only sponsored me. We submit our application this January. What we did was, an affidavit from in Law, that they will support me until I got settled.

Finger crossed.

Regards
Thank you so much for the advice :)

cala

Mar 4, 2014
Re: Can i sponsor my husband but I dont have a job !

I got married 2 months ago from back home, then i came back to canada, but suddenly i lose my job 2 weeks ago while starting to answer application forms, to my willingness to sponsor and to be with my husband as soon as possible, i got worried as finding a job to where i am right now in Ontario is a bit tough.. i have a CRA debt too of big amount, the question is, would you advice me to go on with the process of applying for SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP(and i have a dependent child with me here in canada right now who is a permanent resident, or wait till i get a new job so i wont encounter any difficulties.? and do they really check debts with the Revenue?

Thank you for your help in advance!