+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my girfriend even if i’m a student?

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
I was born in Romania but have moved here in Canada 20 years ago. I’m 26 years old and currently studying in college where I met this amazing woman in the student housing where I lived. She is an international student and later became my girlfriend. We’ve been living together since September 2016. She recently finished her one year program only because her father lost his job and couldn’t support her school expenses for the second year. She has a part time job because it is allowed on her visa. That’s why she applied for her post graduate work permit that will only last a year. If approved, her permit will expire next year around Oct-November which is why I want to sponsor her because I need her to stay with me. I’m planning to propose to her come this Christmas which leads me to these questions:

1. Can I sponsor her even if I’m still a student? I have a part time job now and had full time jobs before deciding to go to college. My parents love her and are willing to help her stay here.
2. Should I sponsor her for common law or wait until we get married to sponosr her for spousal visa?

Her time is ticking and I don’t want to lose her over her status here in Canada. I hope to get answers here asap.

Thank you!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Yes, you can sponsor her even as a student as CL so long as you have proof of 1 year of living together. You just have to provide a plan to CIC to show how you intend to support your gf and yourself. Getting married would make your application a little easier since you don't have to provide proof of 1 year of living together. Lots of documents for CL to provide as compare to just a marriage certificate. It is up to you.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Yes, you can sponsor her even as a student as CL so long as you have proof of 1 year of living together. You just have to provide a plan to CIC to show how you intend to support your gf and yourself. Getting married would make your application a little easier since you don't have to provide proof of 1 year of living together. Lots of documents for CL to provide as compare to just a marriage certificate. It is up to you.
Thanks for the response! But aren’t the common law and spousal sponsorship have the same timeline? 12 months processing right? And like I said her oost grad work permit will expire next year because it’s only a year. I will also tell her to include open work permit application right?

jamesbont

Mar 19, 2017
Hey, you should marry her if you love her and apply to sponsor her with a open work permit included, and if she returns to her country go with her and leave the application in process.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hey, you should marry her if you love her and apply to sponsor her with a open work permit included, and if she returns to her country go with her and leave the application in process.
But I thought open work permit is faster to get processed while the spousal visa is in process in that way she will still stay here right?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks for the response! But aren’t the common law and spousal sponsorship have the same timeline? 12 months processing right? And like I said her oost grad work permit will expire next year because it’s only a year. I will also tell her to include open work permit application right?
Generally yes, they usually have the same timeline. However CL are usually under more scrutiny under CIC's eyes since there is no official document of marriage. One can easily walk away from CL relationship without any hassle of divorce proceedings.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Generally yes, they usually have the same timeline. However CL are usually under more scrutiny under CIC's eyes since there is no official document of marriage. One can easily walk away from CL relationship without any hassle of divorce proceedings.
Oh true! One last thing, should we apply online/scan paperworks or print/fill out/send via courier?

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
Oh true! One last thing, should we apply online/scan paperworks or print/fill out/send via courier?
If you mean the sponsorship application, you have to apply by paper and send by mail.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Yes i will! But should the open work permit come before the spouse visa, she doesn’t have to leave right?